how to get to doubledenim

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Rick Reuben's face should be on hip-hop's Mt. Rushmore

When I was younger, cable was not a particular luxury my parents subscribed to. It was a mystical creature that inhabited my grandparents home and the houses of "cool kids".

What was the best thing about cable? MTV of course. The epicenter of youth culture, short of what was in Tiger Beat or shared over a phone with a 50 foot cord that was infested with knots. In case you were wondering what phones looked like back then...

part of Conair's success was due in part to rampant product placement on Double Dare.

Fear not MoFies, I survived these years with the help of an NBC staple. Friday Night Videos. For those of us not being oversexualized by Viacom, Friday Night Videos would showcase the biggest hits of the day.

What do I remember the most? None other than the Beastie Boy's opus, Fight for Your Right. Like a hustler on the corner, these guys supplied the adrenaline rush you got as a kid when you knew you were doing something wrong.

"We heard there was gonna be an awesome pie throwing party tonight."

The People's Republic of Clogher
I had to plead with the guy behind the counter in the record shop to sell me a copy of Fight For Your Right. Same with Zodiac Mindwarp's Prime Mover.

Good thread DD. Beastie Boys and MJ were a big part of my elementary school days as well. I had to sneak listens in at friends houses thoigh. There would be none of that stuff infiltrsting the impressionable ears of my parents home. Fight For Your Right and Thriller seem to be something anyone that was between the age of five and twenty-five at the time remember fondly. Really influential songs.

The tabloids went ******* crazy over The Beastie Boys. Seriously. Even the Beasties were like, WTF?
I can't stand The Beastie Boys now. I really wonder how they were so popular.

I love stories like this DD, great fun
Thanks christine. My writing abilities are best suited for this, as opposed to coherent commentary.

Thriller meant a lot to my early childhood. I was obsessed with the song, the music video, etc.
How good was your moonwalk?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Friday Night Videos
Somebody else out there remembers Friday Night Videos!! I started to think I was the only one that even knew it existed. That definitely brought a smile to my face.

Thanks christine. My writing abilities are best suited for this, as opposed to coherent commentary.
It's great. You're making me smile, and that's a good thing!

Back before they were on the verge of owning everything in the world, Disney use to pump out made for t.v. movies. Sunday night would feature a wholesome experience for the whole family. Each feature was awkwardly introduced by Michael Eisner and included such classics as I-Man, The Blue Yonder/ the Time Flyer, Mr. Boogedy, and the Last Electric Knight, featuring a young Ernie Reyes Jr as a fearless denim master.

These were not to be missed events. If my busy schedule precluded me, a trusty sidekick, code name VCR, would save the day. Glorious grey plastic with a 30 foot corded remote. How much electrical tape was on the remote? At least a roll and a half.

I can remember bits and pieces here and there. I-Man had a cliche Benedict Arnold line, Mr. Boogedy had a green aura around him, and the only thing better than Ernie's double d, was his glowing electric blue headband.

For some reason, I remember one movie clearer than the rest . Help Wanted: Kids. This was a story of a husband and wife who hired two random kids they found walking the street, in order to appease the husband's boss.

There were moments such as, brownies for breakfast, dinosaur eggs hustlin', tension wrought potato sack races and the inevitable heartbreaking scene where the kids run away after having their hearts broken.

Featuring a resplendent montage of the kids on a bus, while the despondent parents searched for them. What song would be capable of conveying such emotion and heartbreak, soul-searching, and resolve at a time like this? None other than Mr. Mister's
Broken Wings.

I doubt you missed anything. Some of them shouldn't have reached US shores.

awww that sounds like such a tearjerker! I've never heard of any of those. Maybe they never reached the UK shores.
I don't remember them either. My guess is that unless your local video store had them in a kids section (which was usually about 8 tapes if my local store was anything to go by) then we wouldn't have seen them. It's possibly they'd have shown up on kids tv during the longer holidays, but I don't remember them.

It's a great song, though. Thankfully I didn't need to know about the films to remember that song.

I vaguely remember the movie I-Man. I think it starred Scott Bakula.

Is that a young Chad Allen in that picture from Help Wanted: Kids?
You're on top of it goodies.

awww that sounds like such a tearjerker! I've never heard of any of those. Maybe they never reached the UK shores.
I don't remember them either.
I think the Last Electric Knight got spun-off into Sidekicks, but I don't remember that show. My guess is that one would have been the most viable for other markets.

I don't remember them either. My guess is that unless your local video store had them in a kids section (which was usually about 8 tapes if my local store was anything to go by) then we wouldn't have seen them. It's possibly they'd have shown up on kids tv during the longer holidays, but I don't remember them.

It's a great song, though. Thankfully I didn't need to know about the films to remember that song.
We did have our own cheaper version made by the old Childrens Film Foundation. Do you remember those HK? I don't know if Saturday morning pictures was still going when you were a kid, but they used to show them there, and sometimes in school and on tv too. A mixture of adventures, sci-fi, goodies and baddies. Funny descriptions here:

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=9252

A long hiatus on, this thread has been. I have not forgotten about it, but I had been trying to figure out my next selection...or anything else but this.

We all do things that we regert in life. Maybe a hairstyle, the clothes we swore would never go out of style, or joining that organic collective that really turned out to be a pagan cult . This one takes the cake. Nothing ever can I remember reaching such a state of supernova in the colonial states. Have any ideas?

Of course it was that 1989 smash from the guy with a name from a short story. Rob Van Winkle, a.k.a. Vanilla Ice's pop-culture blanket smothering, star of many a flea market and street vendor t-shirt hit song, Ice Ice Baby.

Hip-hop had not yet conceived that it was going to be as widespread as it one day would. That makes this little gem even more special. This song and its album, holds or held every major sells record. Its influence on America was Eminem, before Eminem.

Like many things that reach such Olympian heights, the destruction was just as monumental. All of a sudden everybody hated Ice, he was a punk, glad Suge Knight did/didn't hold him over a balcony by his ankles. Funny how such a short while ago, every wanted a drop-top 5.ooooooh so their hair could blow.

All grammatical errors were intentional and meant as weak attempts at humor.

We did have our own cheaper version made by the old Childrens Film Foundation. Do you remember those HK? I don't know if Saturday morning pictures was still going when you were a kid, but they used to show them there, and sometimes in school and on tv too. A mixture of adventures, sci-fi, goodies and baddies. Funny descriptions here:

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=9252
I think they'd stopped by my time, Christine. I certainly don't think there were any near me, anyway. It wasn't anything that anyone I knew went to or even knew existed as far as I know.