Guardians of the Galaxy II

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The original took a lot of people by surprise. So they are going into this one with expectations. I fully expect people to be disappointed. Same thing happened with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not a terrible film, just a tad underwhelming.

Suspect's Reviews

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I will say this, for any issues the 3rd act is not one of them. Incomprehensible scale space finale that pulls it all in.

That says a lot to me. The ends of movies are the most troublesome.

Welcome to the human race...
Early reviews are that this isn't T2. We all knew that young Groot was going to be overused. The team is split up a bunch and their chemistry was one of the strongest points of the first.

It is said that this is more of a standalone film, which I find surprising. I thought this would be more of a lead-in to Infinity Wars. Apparently the bad guys aren't throwaways and it's hinted that maybe some good guys get killed.
I'm guessing that, when you say T2, you mean "a sequel that is equal/superior to original" and not "a shinier and lighter rehash with a few adjustments". I know it's almost certainly going to be the most obvious comparison, but Vol. 2 really is the Empire to the original's New Hope. Whereas the originals had extremely straightforward MacGuffin-driven plots that were compensated for by the strong character ensembles and rich world-building, the sequels are more character-driven as conflicting goals, physical separation, and new additions to the cast serve to challenge the established heroes at least as much as any actual villains do.

In any case, it's not that surprising for it to effectively be a standalone adventure where connections to the MCU's greater arc are kept to a minimum when that's pretty much what the first film did as well. I think Marvel does understand now that they need to be able to make films that work on their own rather than just serving as another "episode" in the series like Age of Ultron.

@Iroquois

Did you watch the post-credits scenes? If so, is there anything of story-related significance or are they throwaways?

This might just do nobody any good.
^ I think I know what they are and they're all kind of throwaways. Fun, though. One hints at the villain for Vol. 3.

Another sort of confirms a fan theory that I find awesome for the explanation it provides.

Bought the tickets last week. Poured through the 5 million different showings.
Set my internal clock to leave for a 6 o'clock show.

But I bought tix for the 7. Yeah. We are standing here 1 hour early. Go denim!

anything but Zombies & vampires
The original took a lot of people by surprise. So they are going into this one with expectations. I fully expect people to be disappointed. Same thing happened with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not a terrible film, just a tad underwhelming.
Undewheming gets it spot on, I have to agree with you, didn't hate it but didn't love it either. There was something missing, just can't work out what.

If you are of the ilk that loved the first one, you will love the second one. This is the only Marvel franchise that feels like a comic book. An escape. All the other Marvel films I've seen come across as action movies with "insert hero with abilities". There is a certain sterility and lack of emotion in them that Guardians sidesteps.

I'll miss you Mary Poppins

I rewatched the first one last night. Forgot how much I liked it but I remember the only time I saw it before was at the theater when my friend accidentally got us tickets to the ****** 3D showing so my memory was foggy on some of it since I had to take off the glasses at times from getting headaches. Might go see this one or just wait until it comes out and buy it as I rarely go to the theater anymore.

If you are of the ilk that loved the first one, you will love the second one. This is the only Marvel franchise that feels like a comic book. An escape. All the other Marvel films I've seen come across as action movies with "insert hero with abilities". There is a certain sterility and lack of emotion in them that Guardians sidesteps.

I'll miss you Mary Poppins
I've seen some "i'm Mary Poppins y'all" merch, so tempted to add to my horde of tshirts

I rewatched the first one last night. Forgot how much I liked it but I remember the only time I saw it before was at the theater when my friend accidentally got us tickets to the ****** 3D showing so my memory was foggy on some of it since I had to take off the glasses at times from getting headaches. Might go see this one or just wait until it comes out and buy it as I rarely go to the theater anymore.
On numerous accounts I have stated how I despise 3D. Mainly, because it seems like my brain adjusts after 5 mins and then it just seems like a regular dark film.

I actually enjoyed this in IMAX 3D. It's proof that it's not my eyes, but filmmakers that are making these films too dark to see anything. I had no problems and the opening credits were stupendous .

I still wish 3D would go away and we could just get IMAX movies. Dunkirk seems like it will be a great example.

WARNING: "Peter Quill hypothethical?" spoilers below
If PQ's abilities are derived from being a spawn of Ego and Ego's were based on himself / the planet, can he still hold an Infinity Stone after the planet / papa (sounds like 11 would say it) is destroyed? This is probably a little bit too "in the weeds" to be fleshed out in Avengers and future GotG movies, but I wonder.

Welcome to the human race...
WARNING: "Peter Quill hypothethical?" spoilers below
If PQ's abilities are derived from being a spawn of Ego and Ego's were based on himself / the planet, can he still hold an Infinity Stone after the planet / papa (sounds like 11 would say it) is destroyed? This is probably a little bit too "in the weeds" to be fleshed out in Avengers and future GotG movies, but I wonder.
WARNING: "GotG2" spoilers below
I don't think so.

Well if you guys remember in the first movie The whole crew together can hold a stone by way of despersing the power by way of a group. My overall opinion is that Quills power is not that he is of Ego but that its his human part somehow that make s him a hero .

There was nothing really bad about the movie. I mean there has been many worse sequels too a movie comic book or other wise. I mean thus far as sequels go for Marvel only Spiderman 2 X-Men 2 X-Men United, Captain America Winter Solider and Avengers 2 for me are the only Marvel sequel films on par with the original film for the company. While Guardians 2 is not as good as 1 it by no means is as Bad as Iron Man 2, or 3 Thor 2, Spiderman 3 or X-Men 3.

Fanboy stated.

I've learned over my years that before you vocalize an issue with something, try to have a remedy handy. I listened to a podcast today that viewed a popular sentiment about this movie.

Of course they prefaced it with, "I loved the movie." This is like someone telling you, I mean no disrespect before they serve you a sh!+ sandwich of what they think about you. The thought is this is just more of the same. Not a progression of the story, merely the first one bigger and louder. Why should we care about Yondu? He's not really that big of a deal.

All the characters had some sort of progression. The situation between the sisters felt genuine and explains a lot. Peter Quills' multiple daddy issues were touched on. Yondu, really? His story was kinda sort of the highlight of the whole thing for me.

The past couple of years I have started having a problem falling asleep in movies. For some odd reason, I stayed awake the whole time.

I really did like this more than the first.

9/10

While not perfect, it was exactly what I wanted from the next installment of this franchise. More character depth and a deeper exploration of the relationships crudely established in the first film. The theme of family was front and center and handled with complexity as well as their signature fun. Bottom line, this movie is pure fun from start to finish with the resolution packing a far more emotional punch than I was expecting. Visually, the movie is amazing. The humor wasn’t too much because it fit each character.

Overall, the story and depth are far better here than Volume One even if the action and general excitement level didn’t seem to match the first entry. Surprisingly, Mantis and Nebula really shined and Rocket turned out to be pure badass.