Guardians of the Galaxy II

Tools    

I've noticed when it comes to modern action/adventure films, if the humor in it is written well enough, people will like it and enjoy it.

The studios know this. That's why the jokes were well crafted but the rest of it was boring, forgettable and even annoying in parts.

The comedy is the only thing this film has going for it.

Korinaz Kay is Here!
Maybe you are right

This might just do nobody any good.
I loved that this was basically the MCU's remake of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Welcome to the human race...
I've noticed when it comes to modern action/adventure films, if the humor in it is written well enough, people will like it and enjoy it.

The studios know this. That's why the jokes were well crafted but the rest of it was boring, forgettable and even annoying in parts.

So? The humour isn't a stand-alone element, it's built on the writer/s being able to put together sufficiently well-defined characters and create believable interplay between all of them. It influences the film as a whole from the dramatic twists to the action set-pieces.

I think they mean in the sense that

WARNING: "GotG2/Hulk" spoilers below
the villain is the hero's long-lost father

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I kind of see what you are saying - I found GotG2 hilarious, and the attempts at more dramatic stuff and character development weaker. But that didn't really matter to me because it's a comedy film. Don't all comedy films value well crafted jokes over other stuff? I don't think it's applicable to all modern action/adventure films, or even all Marvel films. Civil War had a few moments that made me smile but I wasn't watching it for the jokes. It's a different tone of film. Besides, comedy isn't the only thing Guardians has going for it, the action is good, special effects are good, musical soundtrack is good, costume and character design and make up - all good.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Not impressed by the highly marketable, infinitely charming, sentient sapling who just wants to dance?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Who saw this? This will be an extra on the Blu-Ray...This is hilarious!

Thought it was a pretty decent film just wish marvel didn't always have to add jokes to what would otherwise be emotional scenes

So? The humour isn't a stand-alone element, it's built on the writer/s being able to put together sufficiently well-defined characters and create believable interplay between all of them. It influences the film as a whole from the dramatic twists to the action set-pieces.
Humor isn't a stand alone element but it is different from action, horror, drama etc. One makes you laugh, the others don't. In a superhero movie, the action and adventure should be influencing the humor, not the other way around. Although, I realize Guardians of the Galaxy is a parody, most Marvel movies suffer from this problem. Strong on humor, light on action.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't understand Guardians being a parody.

Welcome to the human race...
Humor isn't a stand alone element but it is different from action, horror, drama etc. One makes you laugh, the others don't. In a superhero movie, the action and adventure should be influencing the humor, not the other way around. Although, I realize Guardians of the Galaxy is a parody, most Marvel movies suffer from this problem. Strong on humor, light on action.
Of course it's different from action/horror/drama because those are genres, not elements. Films from those genres can all feature humour in ways that don't make them into straight-up comedies or even genre parodies, and the best movies from such genres still do a good job of juggling both their humour and their action without one necessarily taking precedence over the other.

I don't understand Guardians being a parody.
That's because it's not - a parody is meant to make fun of a genre, whereas most (if not all) of Guardians' humour isn't directly rooted in making fun of sci-fi movies.

"Watch'you Talkin Bout Skywalker."
Thought it was a pretty decent film just wish marvel didn't always have to add jokes to what would otherwise be emotional scenes
Marvel does that with a lot of there films. I was just watching Winter Soldier last night and lost count how many times a good scene ( with weight ) was slightly ruined by a snarky joke. And that's one of Marvels best.

As far as GOTG2 I honestly thought the jokes and humor were more forced and unfunny in this one than the last. And that's saying something. Even with baby Groot. Other than Kurt Russell being in it, I wasn't a fan. Look forward to seeing how the Russo Bros. deal with the Guardians.