12 Angry Men

Tools    

The Elected Movie Eliminator
I saw this last night and I was speechless. Excellent characters and brilliant dialogue -- the best "character-study" movie I have ever come across. Just goes to show, you don't need a big budget or awesome action to create a masterpiece.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
The acting is amazing, so is the script. I'd agree that it's the best character study movie I've seen as well. Any movie that can keep me entertained and engaged throughout the whole film whilst all being set in a single room deserves a huge amount of respect. It's one of the best movies ever made and Lumet deserved all the praise he got for it.

I absolutely loved it the first time I saw it, but I don't like it as much with re-watches. It's still a really great movie, but I just loved it a lot more the first two times I saw it.

I've seen it way too many times. I like it, but I used to love it. It's just a short movie, and there's not much in it. When I watched it last, I was just watching it passively. I knew everything in it by heart. What's the fun in watching a movie when there's absolutely nothing new to be seen at all?

Then again, like with anything I get burnt out on, a long break (year or so) from it is probably all that's needed.

^ Dialogue is more effecting and entertaining then millions of dollars worth of CGI.
Was that a question or a statement? If it was a question, I personally prefer movies with good dialogue that are well written over movies with good CGI. Obviously movies like The Dark Knight with brilliant directing and CGI rank up there as well.

As for if 12 Angry Men gets boring after a few watches, I can't really judge as I've only seen it twice and enjoyed it both times.

Was that a question or a statement? If it was a question, I personally prefer movies with good dialogue that are well written over movies with good CGI. Obviously movies like The Dark Knight with brilliant directing and CGI rank up there as well.

As for if 12 Angry Men gets boring after a few watches, I can't really judge as I've only seen it twice and enjoyed it both times.
If it was a question I'd have a question mark (?).

I'm not a fan of mind-blowing CGI and expositions, I must prefer movies with interesting characters and well written dialogue then thousands of people getting shot.

If it was a question I'd have a question mark (?).

I'm not a fan of mind-blowing CGI and expositions, I must prefer movies with interesting characters and well written dialogue then thousands of people getting shot.
I did assume it was a statement due to the lack of a question mark. I just wanted to weigh in with my opinion of heavily CGI based movies.

After viewing your discussion I would like to watch the movie soon

I agree with pretty much everything that RagingBull and downthesun have said. The entire film (or 95% of it, at least) takes place in a single room, and there is little to no action at all (the action that most of us come to expect in movies nowadays, anyway), and yet 12 Angry Men remains to be one of the most engaging, riveting films of all time, to this day. It's incredible, and my favorite ever.

I've watched it about twenty times within a two-year (or so) period, and it hasn't come remotely close to boring me yet, and it likely never will. For someone to say that they "love" a movie, and then start to get bored with it during their second or third viewing(s), well...that means that they probably never loved it all that much in the first place. A true favorite can stand the test of time, and--obviously--that's what 12 Angry Men is for me.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

I've seen it way more than 3 times. I reckon you were talking about MovieMan, just had to point it out.

To repeat what I said earlier - a break is probably all I need.

That was a generalized opinion I gave there; I wasn't directing my post at you, Swan. Of course, if you (meaning anyone) watch a single film repeatedly with very short periods between each viewing, you're likely to get burnt out with that particular movie. But if you watch a certain film for the first time, and then watch it again two or three months later and find yourself bored (even though you may still like the movie), you probably didn't care for it too, too much to begin with. That's just my opinion.

That was a generalized opinion I gave there; I wasn't directing my post at you, Swan. Of course, if you (meaning anyone) watch a single film repeatedly with very short periods between each viewing, you're likely to get burnt out with that particular movie. But if you watch a certain film for the first time, and then watch it again two or three months later and find yourself bored (even though you may still like the movie), you probably didn't care for it too, too much to begin with. That's just my opinion.
As Kubrick said: "No matter how times you watch the same movie -- it should always seem new".

Finished here. It's been fun.
This movie rocks. Any more films set in one area, with great dialogue and acting carrying the entire film or nah?

This movie rocks. Any more films set in one area, with great dialogue and acting carrying the entire film or nah?

I know your question might be a rhetorical one, but this is an interesting thread - Your favourite film set in (mostly) 1 location

Finished here. It's been fun.
I love Reservoir Dogs, great film. Tarantino made a killer directorial debut I must say with that film.

Its a true classic. I love these lawyer type movies. Anatomy of Murder, Judgement at Nuremberg, Inherit the Wind, Witness for the Prosecution are all great movies!

Anatomy of Murder is special for me, its almost as good as 12 Angry Men.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't remember jumping up and down with excitement over the dialogue, and I always leave with the same thought in my head. I remember thinking about their reasoning for why the boy was innocent and they were always so circumstantial, "there was a train at that time," "the old-lady had little indents on the side of her nose, and we're going to assume that she didn't put on her glasses at this time," "even though the boy bought the exact same pocket-knife that was found at the scene of the crime, it's only coincidental," and that he wouldn't have stabbed "this way".

The point of the movie is to make you think, but I don't feel as though it ever rightfully resolves itself because the jurors were all kind-of idiots. As for the movie itself, I thought that the acting and story-telling was very bland and generic, and the same can be said for the screen-play. The dialogue is very cookie-cutter, and amateurish, or at least that was what I saw it as. The ending result for me is that it's a solid short-tale that doesn't deserve the recognition that it gets.

If you disagree, fair enough, but I am holding my ground.

The film is a classic and I also highly recommend the television remake with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott for anyone who hasn't seen it...a solid remake featuring a brilliant performance from Lemmon. A remake that stands up proudly with its predecessor.