Overrated Actors/ Underrated Actors

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
That is my favourite movie of hers, I am not a fan, it is hard to frown if are bitten by the deadly botox
Indeed it is...

Too many bites and you might end up like Weakest Link presented and defender of all things Welsh, Anne Robinson -

Never has the expression "Don't smile because you might crack your face" been more apt.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Never has the expression "Don't smile because you might crack your face" been more apt.

I think Cameron Diaz is somehow overrated...looking good, but...

Overated one name comes to mind Will Ferrel WHAT IS SO FUNNY ABOUT HIM???

Underated I guess Vince Vaughn since not alot of people my age know who he is. I think Jude Law is pretty underated per all the great movies he's been. Also number one all time underated actor for me has to be Jason Lee.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Ben Affleck should'nt be on this thread, or Jennifer Lopez, they're not actors!
Overated, IMO Tom Cruise and Jude Law.
Under-rated :
Philip Seymour Hoffman
William H Macy
John Turturo
Chris Cooper
Robert Carlyle

But we all know that acting ability doesn't come into it these days! You know acting is in a bad way when Britney, Puff Diddy, Ja Rule, etc can wangle their way into films!
Money talks, its all about marketability.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Without thinking she's bad, I would have to say that Nicole Kidman is overrated. She has really been raised to the skies during recent years, and I actually don't think she's that good. I saw Eyes Wide Shut again the other day and there are a few moments in the film that I don't think work perfectly, and it hit me that I think she's the reason for that. The dialogue driven scenes with her and Cruise could have been better and while Cruise is actually excellent, imo (and I'm not usually a big fan of Tom), Kidman is not delivering any magic. But she's still good, of course. Same with The Hours. Kidman was really good, but I thought Julianne Moore was fantastic and Meryl Streep even more so, but it was Kidman who got the most attention, including an Oscar.
I'm with you on this one Piddy. I really don't get why she was nominated over Streep for the Oscar in The Hours. Streep made the movie for me. I don't dislike Kidman as an actress...I enjoyed her in like Cold Mountain, but she's not the magical draw for me either.

Pink Panther...I'm so there with you on Cameron Diaz.

Under rated...

Patricia Clarkson from The Station Agent and Pieces of April. I'd love to see more of her and to get a little recognition.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Under rated..

Patricia Clarkson from The Station Agent and Pieces of April. I'd love to see more of her and to get a little recognition.[/quote]

Good call, Patricia Clarkson is a fine actress who deserves more credit.
I really liked " Pieces of April ", not my usual choice of film, but Patricia's performance was fantastic.
Good to see her occasionaly in 6 feet under as well as Cathy Bates, another under-rated actress.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Under rated...

Patricia Clarkson from The Station Agent
What a lovely film that is.

I adore her too.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Without thinking she's bad, I would have to say that Nicole Kidman is overrated. She has really been raised to the skies during recent years, and I actually don't think she's that good. I saw Eyes Wide Shut again the other day and there are a few moments in the film that I don't think work perfectly, and it hit me that I think she's the reason for that. The dialogue driven scenes with her and Cruise could have been better and while Cruise is actually excellent, imo (and I'm not usually a big fan of Tom), Kidman is not delivering any magic. But she's still good, of course. Same with The Hours. Kidman was really good, but I thought Julianne Moore was fantastic and Meryl Streep even more so, but it was Kidman who got the most attention, including an Oscar.
I'd say the same and I don't like her.
I don't believe she has a soul.

Here to support the villians.......
Some good choices in this thread
Underrated:
Paul Giamatti- what does this guy have to do to get some recogintion
Gary Oldman- Some may not agree but he is underrated in my opinion, he never gets the lead roles
Regina King- great actress, brilliant in Jerry Maguire
Tom Wilkinson- one of Britain's finest love him in The Full Monty

Overrated
Orlando Bloom- extremley overrated
Russell Crowe- always seems to play the tough guys (haven't seen A beautiful mind yet)

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
I think all the bad rep Affleck has been getting is a little unfair after all he's never really been rated in the 1st place. I can't say I dislike Affleck in Kevin Smith's movies especially Chasing Amy.

My choice for underrated actor/actress would be Madeleine Stowe.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Sean Connery

OVERRATED !

While Sir Sean was certainly dashing and rather debonair in his Bond role, his reputation as a master thespian is greatly exaggerated. Connery is a one-note kind of actor and the Oscar win in 1988 for his scene-stealing performance in The Untouchables could have been played equally well by any over-the-hill chap with a Scottish accent.

Can we try with real bullets now?
The most underrated actor IMO is Edward Norton. After watching American History X and 25th Hour I was surprised more people didn't think of him as a great actor.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
Some good choices in this thread
Underrated:
Paul Giamatti- what does this guy have to do to get some recogintion
You don't think Sideways gave him enough recognition?

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Sean Connery
OVERRATED !
While he hasn't done much of note in the past fifteen years or so (Finding Forrester and Playing By Heart are decent performances, but not great), I think he proved he was a very good actor in the late '60s and all through the '70s, though no matter how many terrific films and good performances he turned out he couldn't seem to escape the whole Bond thing then. Too bad.

Go back and look at his early work with Sidney Lumet in The Hill (1965), The Anderson Tapes (1971), The Offense (1973) and Murder on the Orient Express (1975) as well as The Molly Maguires (1970 - Martin Ritt), Robin & Marian (1976 - Dick Lester), The Great Train Robbery (1979 - Michael Crichton), The Wind & the Lion (1975 - John Milius) and most especially my favorite The Man Who Would Be King (1975 - John Huston). Connery was a damn fine actor taking all sorts of roles and excelling at them, but by in large the films and his work in them went ignored or underappreciated. Too bad.

Time Bandits (1981 - Gilliam) then Highlander (1986 - Russell Mulcahy) and The Untouchables (1987 - DePalma) seemed to really kick off his second career (and even won him that Oscar) as aged supporting player, hitting a high-point with Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989 - Spielberg). And though he did a few more very good films as a star in this period with The Name of the Rose (1986 - Jean-Jacques Annaud), The Hunt for Red October (1990 - John McTiernan) and The Russia House (1990 - Fred Schepisi), unfortunately he started leaning more towards jobs that didn't challenge him but paid hefty sums. This leads to disposable crap such as Medicine Man (1992), Rising Sun (1993), Just Cause (1995), The Rock (1996), Dragonheart (1996) and Entrapment (1999) as well as the all-out embarassing disasters Highlander 2: The Quickening (1991), The Avengers (1998) and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003). Egads.

If all he's interested in doing at this point is collecting paychecks for steaming piles of FX-laden turds, that's sad. But the better filmmakers of world cinema will still come knocking on his door from time to time, and when they do I'm sure he'll answer. In those opportunities in coming years, I'm sure he'll prove all over again he can act. Were he given good material like his friend Michael Caine still gets every once in a while, something like The Quitet American, I'm sure he still has the chops to pull it off.

Anyway, track down some of the greats I mentioned from the '70s. He is much more than Jimmy Bond and Henry Jones Sr., and if anything he is consistently underrated as an actor. Don't get hung up on the fact that he got his Oscar for The Untouchables. It was one instance among many of the Academy honoring somebody for their body of work and longevity more than the actual performance engraved on the statue (shocking). Big frippin' deal. Your venom should be aimed at The Oscars, not Connery.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I wanted to speak out in Sean's defense, but got sidetracked with other threads. I’m glad that you wrote what you did, because I couldn’t have done it quite so well.

Robin Hood for me will always be Sean Connery. He lent a real life quality to the larger than life hero that I was drawn to even at the early age I was when I saw it. I think he’s a damn fine actor who has, like you basically said, chosen quick bucks more often than challenging roles lately.

BTW: What film is the pic from?

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
Their is 2 movie stars that fall under my over rated list.

keanu reeves - Is it me, or is this guy always saving the world? ( He did good in Bill and Teds excellent adventures)

Samuel Jackson - He is only good at playing gangster roles in my opinion. Like Pulp fiction for instance. He plays a horrible Jedi in Star Wars if you ask me.

Wait a second...these dudes aren't over rated

Most under rated movie stars

Bruce Cambell- One of my favorite actors hands down. Evil Dead 2 performance was just awsome.

-TheButcher

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by The_Butcher
Samuel Jackson - He is only good at playing gangster roles in my opinion. Like Pulp fiction for instance. He plays a horrible Jedi in Star Wars if you ask me.
I thought he was great in The Negotiator and Unbreakable!IMO he is one of the most underrated actors. And yes he does play a horrible jedi