Overrated Actors/ Underrated Actors

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Kevin Costner is way overrated, that man puts me to sleep.

An actress I find really underrated is Scarlett Johansen. I absolutely loved her in Ghost World.

And I agree that Afflecks best performances are in the Kevin Smith movies. He should stick to comedy. Pearl Harbor suuuuuuuucked. I mean really sucked. Did I mention it sucked? What I'm trying to say here is that it sucked.

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by Erratic Behavior
Kevin Smith movies are the only time I've seen Ben Affleck and thought he acted well.
I must need to watch more closely because I've never seen Afflect act well.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
An actress I find really underrated is Scarlett Johansen. I absolutely loved her in Ghost World.
She totally got robbed out of two Oscar nominations last year.

The People's Republic of Clogher

Brendan Gleeson - underrated.

Continuing the fine tradition of Irish actors who are ex-teachers, along with Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne.....

Just thought I'd throw that in

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's actually amazing how many fine Irish actors that are internationally well known. Sometimes I almost think there are more successful Irish actors in Hollywood than there are successful British actors. Well, okay.. At least if you take the two countries' different sized populations in consideration.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
It's actually amazing how many fine Irish actors that are internationally well known. Sometimes I almost think there are more successful Irish actors in Hollywood than there are successful British actors. Well, okay.. At least if you take the two countries' different sized populations in consideration.
I've been thinking about this one and the only conclusion I can come to is that there seems an inordinately large number of amateur theatre groups over here - which seems to fit with the 3 actors mentioned earlier coming to the profession later than most (Gleeson was 34, for example).

I can remember seeing Stephen Rea in some awful local play around 20 years ago - next thing I know, he's in Neil Jordan movies.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Tacitus

Brendan Gleeson - underrated.

Continuing the fine tradition of Irish actors who are ex-teachers, along with Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne.....

Just thought I'd throw that in
ooooooh. That's a good one. I've definately enjoyed him in every single movie I've seen him in.

Howabout John C. Reilly? I bet someone has already said him.

Overrated: Gonna have to go with Renee Zellweger on this one. Renee, Ben Affleck and Cameron Diaz should all pratice shooting apples off each others heads with bazookas.

Underrated: Frances McDormand, Brian Cox and William H. Macy are all at the top of my list.

Cameron Diaz was pretty good in Being John Malkovich (again can't spell!). You know how is underrated Ed Norton, he was robbed of his two oscars man! Robbed! Also overrated I think Nicole Kidman! I can't stand that stupid-get-botox-every-5-seconds woman-face GRRR! Barbara streisand is overrated....actually I just loathe her so that still counts right? Haha...

Right now, I'm thinking Ned Beatty is a little underrated.

Robert Duvall is incredibly underrated. Nobody ever mentions him among the great actors, even though he certainly deserves it.

May The Forks be With Us
i think that jim caviezel is extremely under rated. i think hes a great actor he just doesnt show up on huge magazines or anything. or atleast before he did passion.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Tom Waits is the true GOD
Everyone relax I've made a list for you:
OVERRATED:
Tommy Lee Jones Jim Carrey Meg Ryan Michael Keaton
Cuba Gooding Jr. Ben Affleck Tom Hanks
Kevin Costner John Travolta Sandra Bullock
Mel Gibson Dennis Quaid Sean Penn

UNDERRATED:
Bruce Campbell Sarah Michelle Gellar Woody Allen Tim Robbins
Emily Watson Milla Jovavich Leonardo DiCaprio Ian Holm
Hugh O'Connor Jean Reno Ron Perlman Helena Bonham Carter

Originally Posted by eyeballkid
Everyone relax I've made a list for you:
OVERRATED:
Tommy Lee Jones Jim Carrey Meg Ryan Michael Keaton
Cuba Gooding Jr. Ben Affleck Tom Hanks
Kevin Costner John Travolta Sandra Bullock
Mel Gibson Dennis Quaid Sean Penn

UNDERRATED:
Bruce Campbell Sarah Michelle Gellar Woody Allen Tim Robbins
Emily Watson Milla Jovavich Leonardo DiCaprio Ian Holm
Hugh O'Connor Jean Reno Ron Perlman Helena Bonham Carter
*Mouth falls open at some of the names on the list*

Heres my edits to your list:

Over-rated:
Meg Ryan
Ben Affleck
John Travolta
Sean Penn
Leonardo DiCapria
Woody Allen
Kevin Costner

People I took out of the over-rated list and the reason why I took them out:
1. Jim Carrey: Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind? He can acted and he proves it in that movie.
2. Tom Hanks: Do Forest Gump, Cast Away or Road to Perdition mean anything to you?
3. Michael Keaton: How is he Over-rated? He hasn't really done anything since the first two batman movies.
4. Tommy Lee Jones: Double Jeoperdy, Small Soldiers, Men in Black/Men in Black Two need I go on?
5. Mel Gibson: Please don't tell me you think hes over-rated because he did the Passion of the christ. If so thats a stupid reason and get of Mel. If not, do Lethal Weapon, Brave Hart or What Women Want ring a bell?
6. Sandra Bullock: I can't think of any movie that she has been in were SHE hasn't been good. Examples: Demaltion Man, Miss Congeniality, etc.
8. Cuba Gooding Jr: See Sandra Bullock, with Boat Trip as the example. Horrible moive, but he was good in it.
9. Dennis Quaid: Have you seen Enemy Mine?

People I added to the over-rated list from the under-rated list and why:
1. Leonardo DiCapria: While hes cute he can't act way over-rated!
2. Woody Allen: This guy is annoying and not believe able as a leading man even though he plays one.

Under-Rated the only to I would get rid of is the two above. But I would add Thora Birch and Christina Ricci

-Lessa

The End Has Come
Originally Posted by Silas
Under-rated: Christian Bale, John Goodman, John Turturo,Steve Buschemi
I totally agree, however I will add Don Cheadle, Liev Schreiber, Colin Firth, and Ryan Gosling to that list as well.

The most overrated are:
-Denzel Washington
-Tom Cruise
-Ben Affleck and the 2 Jennifers
-Julia Roberts
-Renée Zellweger
their acting isn't bad (the exception is Affleck and Lopez of course),but they can only play one type of character and when they go outside of that it's pretty much falls flat.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Without thinking she's bad, I would have to say that Nicole Kidman is overrated. She has really been raised to the skies during recent years, and I actually don't think she's that good. I saw Eyes Wide Shut again the other day and there are a few moments in the film that I don't think work perfectly, and it hit me that I think she's the reason for that. The dialogue driven scenes with her and Cruise could have been better and while Cruise is actually excellent, imo (and I'm not usually a big fan of Tom), Kidman is not delivering any magic. But she's still good, of course. Same with The Hours. Kidman was really good, but I thought Julianne Moore was fantastic and Meryl Streep even more so, but it was Kidman who got the most attention, including an Oscar.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Kidman is not delivering any magic. But she's still good, of course. Same with The Hours. Kidman was really good, but I thought Julianne Moore was fantastic and Meryl Streep even more so, but it was Kidman who got the most attention, including an Oscar.
She was excellent in Van Sant's To Die For but I just wish that she'd realise it's acceptable for a 38 year old woman to be able to frown....

Originally Posted by Tacitus
She was excellent in Van Sant's To Die For but I just wish that she'd realise it's acceptable for a 38 year old woman to be able to frown....
That is my favourite movie of hers, I am not a fan, it is hard to frown if are bitten by the deadly botox