Most Versatile Actor/Actress?

Tools    

Definitely have to go with Tom Hanks, Will Smith and definitely Bruce Willis. Kevin Spacey has done many different roles as well.

Also surprised no one has said Leonardo DiCaprio, he's done a good number of different roles.

Much that once was is lost
Edward Norton. He can play anything. Just remember how scary he looked at the beginning of "American History X" and how normal he looked at the end. He can be a hero, a villain, act in a comedy or in a drama... very complete.

Vigo Mortensen is also very versatile. A good movie to see his talent his "A History of Violence".

Definitely have to go with Tom Hanks, Will Smith and definitely Bruce Willis. Kevin Spacey has done many different roles as well.

Also surprised no one has said Leonardo DiCaprio, he's done a good number of different roles.
Can't get on board with Will Smith...with a couple of rare exceptions, Will Smith pretty much plays Will Smith in most of his films.

I've seen some of your posts today and all of them consisted out of either a movie with him or his name. I recognize you by your German sig.

Ironic because yesterday I was planning on seeing Jagten, and now i keep seeing his name here.

On topic

Kristin Stewart in Still Alice.. Haven't seen the movie but how is that gonna work lol

When it comes to those working today, I would have to put my vote for Guy Pearce. I don't always enjoy the directions in which he takes his characters (e.g. 2012's Lawless) but he can always be relied upon to find the extremes of the writing. To see his versatility, look no further than: LA Confidential (soft leading man, especially beside Russell Crowe), The Hurt Locker, The Adventures of Priscilla and Memento (strong leading man).

Can't get on board with Will Smith...with a couple of rare exceptions, Will Smith pretty much plays Will Smith in most of his films.
I am even more suprised to see how many people say Bruce Willis is a versatile actor... can anybody give examples?

A system of cells interlinked
I am even more suprised(sic) to see how many people say Bruce Willis is a versatile actor... can anybody give examples?
Consider the brash, ballsy John McClane, and then compare them to James Cole in 12 Monkeys, in which he plays dangerous, sick, vulnerable, and psychotic all at once, and brilliantly at that. This is when i first started to notice he had more range than I first thought.

Then move along to Unbreakable, a film in which he underplays the entire role, something he had never attempted before. This is a great, subtle performance.

Ever see Moonlighting? The guy can do smart comedy, too. See also: The Fifth Element.

He has a fun little turn in Moonrise Kingdom, as well!

That said, the guy has made some duds, that's for sure.

Oh, I guess I should add an actor or two of my own, eh?

Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black

Christian Bale

Meryl Streep

Give me all of your candy!
Heath Ledger
Gary Oldman
Al Pacino
Robert DeNiro
Johnny Depp
Helena Bonham Carter
Robin Williams

These are the ones that instantly came to mind.

Give me all of your candy!
Also, kind of unconventional, but I like seeing Adam Sandler switch it up, also.

I've seen some of your posts today and all of them consisted out of either a movie with him or his name. I recognize you by your German sig.

Ironic because yesterday I was planning on seeing Jagten, and now i keep seeing his name here.

On topic

Kristin Stewart in Still Alice.. Haven't seen the movie but how is that gonna work lol
Well I am a huge Mads Mikkelsen fan..everyone here knows that.. and my signature other than the quote by Mads ... is in French.... it was taken from a posting I read about the Arthurian characters of Tristan and Isolde.....

Consider the brash, ballsy John McClane, and then compare them to James Cole in 12 Monkeys, in which he plays dangerous, sick, vulnerable, and psychotic all at once, and brilliantly at that. This is when i first started to notice he had more range than I first thought.

Then move along to Unbreakable, a film in which he underplays the entire role, something he had never attempted before. This is a great, subtle performance.

Ever see Moonlighting? The guy can do smart comedy, too. See also: The Fifth Element.

He has a fun little turn in Moonrise Kingdom, as well!

That said, the guy has made some duds, that's for sure.

Meryl Streep[/b]
I loved 12 Monkeys, but I never had the impression that Bruce Willis was acting very different from his action movies, the same for Unbreakable. But next time I will watch both movies, I will focus. :-)

Now that I think about it, I liked his performance in Surrogates. I was positively suprised by that movie.

As there is a seperate thread going for the men at the moment, I'm gonna give a shout out to Charlize Theron here.

When consider the physicality to tackle action (Atomic Blonde, Mad Max etc), the charisma and brightness needed for comedy (Million Ways to Die in the West, Long Shot etc) & can completely become immersed in gritty dramatic roles (such as in Tully or her Oscar winning turn in Monster among others), speaks for itself.

I am even more suprised to see how many people say Bruce Willis is a versatile actor... can anybody give examples?
That is surprising. Not sure why anyone would think that.

Bruce Willis plays the same character in every film.

the Rock plays the same character in every film.

No versatility there whatsoever. Fair play to both of them, I’m not hating. They are just not versatile.