UKRAINE

Tools    

I just saw something I found a little disconcerting (and let me know if you think I'm off base here)...
It was a new TV commercial for CNN using the war in Ukraine to tout the network.

This wasn't on CNN either, but on a completely different network. And, it seemed to imply that only CNN was fully covering the war or providing the most in-depth coverage (yet every cable news network has been doing pretty much 24/7 coverage). I've seen no other news network advertise itself using the war on Ukraine as its selling point.

I don't know - it just seemed somewhat exploitive and rubbed me the wrong way.

Let's just say that I'm not too fond of our big neighbor, but Putin is just trying to exploit the west's weakness (and Europe's dependency on its oil and gas). I just hope this brings some sanity back to Europe.

I just saw something I found a little disconcerting (and let me know if you think I'm off base here)...
It was a new TV commercial for CNN using the war in Ukraine to tout the network.

This wasn't on CNN either, but on a completely different network. And, it seemed to imply that only CNN was fully covering the war or providing the most in-depth coverage (yet every cable news network has been doing pretty much 24/7 coverage). I've seen no other news network advertise itself using the war on Ukraine as its selling point.

I don't know - it just seemed somewhat exploitive and rubbed me the wrong way.
Still not as bad as this, though:

This isn't the first time that Russia caused grieves with Ukraine. Because of this, I did watch "Mr. Jones " last weekend. Let's not forget Stalin's Holodomor.

I need to rewatch "Bitter Harvest " and "Ikitie ", which does touch on the genocide against the Ukrainian people.

It's a purely political topic and can't really be discussed without analyzing politics.

In the meantime, I'll just offer my support for the Ukrainian people. Nothing like this has been seen in Europe since WWII.

This may sound like a crazy idea, but I think the U.N. needs an air force comprised of a coalition of allied forces for such clear cut cases as this one, but with no one country leading the way - with planes that bear only the U.N. insignia, and with pilots who's national origins are kept secret.

They could obliterate Putin's convoy from above and establish a no fly zone.

As to Putin's threats - a U.N. force could say this is the united world stopping your unprovoked & genocidal attack of innocent civilians in a sovereign nation (that's 141 countries that voted to condemn your actions). If you choose to retaliate, then you're going to have to attack virtually the entire world - and if you attack even one more nation, then the arsenals of the entire world will be launched against you.
i don't really want to get into this heavily as I haven't been following the news at all, but just a couple of points about this post. Firstly, I suspect that's exactly what Putin wants. That convoy has been sat there without moving or any air support/cover for 2 days. Essentially it looks to me very like somone hanging their chin out hoping someone takes a swing so they can get into a fight.

Secondly, Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council, so there won't be any official UN action as they have veto power.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
okay this might interest people here.

i regularly check this guy's youtube channel, out of interest for all things submariney and sonarish. his political analysis can be pretty crap (and fortunately he keeps them at a minimum), but when it gets to technical/tactical/strategic military stuff, he's usually well informed, and closer to his actual field of expertise. and he tends to be honest about what he knows, what he speculates about, and what is just a personal opinion. and apart from some weird trollish and (openly) clickbaity geopolitical posturings, i do believe he's sincere and well meaning in the rigor of his information gathering.

okay, that's a long intro. just the context for :

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Those of you who saw my shouts already know that I was observing this invasion from the very beginning. My military analysis, guesswork, and worries concerning the war have mostly proved accurate. There are many possible outcomes of the war, but all of them include at least one country utterly ruined. Russia's actions are by no means surprising to anybody who understands a thing or two about history. After all, little has changed in the East.

But Ukraine has changed. It is no longer the Ukraine of two decades ago. And that fact alone is enough. Ukrainian souls are hardened and ready to defend their homeland to death. They have no other choice. And now, when civilians in Ukrainian cities cannot even defend themselves from rockets, shells, and bombs, the mask has fallen, and the Iron Curtain has risen to once again divide West and East. This is the eve of a new world. A more dangerous world. An uncertain world. A world with little chance to return to the status quo ante.

I have a friend in Kyiv. I can't possibly know... No. None of us can know what she's feeling right now. She lives in a relatively insignificant part of the city. She and her family were terrified of every explosion at first. But now they see every dropped bomb, every shell, and every rocket as a man-made thunderstruck. They quickly learned to guess how long it takes for an explosion to reach their eardrums. They learned to go down to the shelter obediently when they hear the alarm siren. One could think that they got used to war. But that's not it. They are tense. They are afraid. They cannot focus on anything but the war. The people of Ukraine have two wars at the moment. The first one is with Russia. The second war is waging within themselves. They are fighting their fear and doubt.

We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. Poland has taken over 500,000 people from Ukraine so far. It is both disappointing and uplifting that we can only really unite when misery strikes. During times of hate and bloodshed, the people in Poland forgot about their little disputes, meaningless feuds, and political disagreements. All our earlier worries look so silly now. But there's only so much we can do. And we are not sure if that's enough.

After 80 years, barricades are being built again. But it's not them who barricaded themselves with contempt. It's not them who's souls are poisoned with hate. It's not them who treat their brothers and sisters like cattle. It's not them who spite mankind. But all words of reason, all words of love for humanity, all words of pacifism, unity, and love sound almost cynical now. Tens of millions crying out for the goodness in men mean nothing when one individual projects all his hate onto the world.

Yes, Ukraine needs more than just prayers, but prayers are good. Just don't let these prayers be silent. Make them loud. Make both people who fight for their lives and those who hide away, counting minutes between each strike hear your support and words of love. This is not going to stop the war. But it will show them they are not alone. And it will show others they have gone astray. There is little most of us can do, so let's do the most we can.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

i don't really want to get into this heavily as I haven't been following the news at all, but just a couple of points about this post. Firstly, I suspect that's exactly what Putin wants. That convoy has been sat there without moving or any air support/cover for 2 days. Essentially it looks to me very like somone hanging their chin out hoping someone takes a swing so they can get into a fight.

Secondly, Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council, so there won't be any official UN action as they have veto power.
How can Russia be allowed by the UN to remain on the Security Council when Russia is engaging in the very thing the Council is designed to prevent or stop?

It's like if there were a group of security guards protecting a bank, but suddenly one of the guards pulls out a gun, shoots the tellers in the head, then takes the money and walks out. Would the other guards just stand there and allow it when their job is to protect the bank, the employees and the money? Would the murdering guard just be allowed to keep his job and show up the next day to resume "guarding" the bank he just shot up and robbed?

A system of cells interlinked
Great post @Mr Minio

"How tall is King Kong ?"
It's like if there were a group of security guards protecting a bank, but suddenly one of the guards pulls out a gun, shoots the tellers in the head, then takes the money and walks out. Would the other guards just stand there and allow it when their job is to protect the bank, the employees and the money? Would the murdering guard just be allowed to keep his job and show up the next day to resume "guarding" the bank he just shot up and robbed?
Sorry, I'm Swiss.

The answer is : Depends on how big his own bank account is, obviously.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Let's hope Ukraine last longer than this thread.
You don't have to worry about that: anything written about in a book will probably last longer than this forum. To me, showing a preference for Movie Forums or Ukraine is a political post, so i'm just going to leave my morbid curiosity behind for now and move on. There will always be Cringe worthy topics, and to me that is very exciting!

You don't have to worry about that: anything written about in a book will probably last longer than this forum. To me, showing a preference for Movie Forums or Ukraine is a political post, so i'm just going to leave my morbid curiosity behind for now and move on. There will always be Cringe worthy topics, and to me that is very exciting!
Huh?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
It's not just about Putin. If Sleepy Joe hadn't bungled the withdrawal from Afghanistan, there's a fair chance this war might not have happened. He made himself look weak and incompetent. And while Sleepy Joe is trying to figure out what new sanctions to place on Russia, Putin is probably going to join with China and maybe decide to point their nuclear weapons at the United States. They're just crazy enough to do that and there's nothing Sleepy Joe is going to do to stop it.

Let's NOT trash this thread with political soapboxing. Remember what the site owner / administrator said:
Standard reminder about politics. I fear this topic is impossible to discuss without becoming overtly political, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Of course, general well wishes for those affected by the conflict and hopes for a fast and peaceful resolution are both fine, and I'll echo them. Here's hoping the coolest heads prevail.