The Hughes Brothers to Helm the Legendary Epic AKIRA

Tools    

Big Chico's Movie Blog
Hello and welcome to the land of fantastic news. You know those guys that made the brilliant movie The Book of Eli, well now they have the task of adapting the legendary 1988 epic Akira to a live action movie. Vulture announced today that Albert and Allen Hughes, know better as the Hughes Brothers, are finishing negotiations with Warner Brothers to helm the movie.

The script for this Akira was rewritten by Iron Man and Cowboys & Aliens writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby. The even more exhilarating news about this incarnation of Akira is that they won’t be following graphic novel “Instead, we hear that the studio is planning to make Akira in two parts, with the first three volumes of the six-volume manga making up the first film, due out next year.” Warner Brothers wants to stay closer to the source material. The Hughes Brothers have a talent for bring out the potential of a movie and finding the best way to get us to emotionally attach to the movie.

The Anime version of Akira had so many wild concepts and caused so many new ideas to be planted into the viewer. Akira was the first time I had heard of the concept of total conciseness. I still don’t have any idea what that means but I’m sure the Hughes Brothers will help me understand it with their version of Akira.

Employee of the Month
Good news. I don`t really like the end of the first one, it was just to much over the edge. Especially when you consider the realistic setting; Neo Tokyo and stuff. Anything concrete, Big C.? Any links?

Big Chico's Movie Blog
Good news. I don`t really like the end of the first one, it was just to much over the edge. Especially when you consider the realistic setting; Neo Tokyo and stuff. Anything concrete, Big C.? Any links?
Nothing concrete.

A system of cells interlinked
One of the reasons I like Akira so much is the fact that it is animated. Live action Akira is a terrible idea, and i shall rail against it as such.

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm. Akira has long been one of my favourite films, and so any news of a possible live-action adaptation gives me cause for both anticipation and skepticism (more the latter than the former). The lack of concrete information plus some of the details in question also seem rather spurious to me - the idea of a major studio backing a two-part adaptation of a cult manga series seems a bit outrageous (then again, if an adaptation of Watchmen can get made, I guess anything's possible).

Still, I'll wait on proper citation.

One of the reasons I like Akira so much is the fact that it is animated. Live action Akira is a terrible idea, and i shall rail against it as such.
I'm sure it will be overflowing with 3D animation.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The only way it works is if it's Unrated or NC-17.

And have the director be Takashi Miike or someone like that.

Well, this live action remake has been mooted for a few years now so, those who want it, will have to hope that this isn't just another false dawn.

The only way it works is if it's Unrated or NC-17.

And have the director be Takashi Miike or someone like that.
Ya heard him. Although the Hughes Bros ain't exactly non-violent, so it could work, maybe.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think they want him to do a hit for them, very silently. He arranges about a week in between all his movies, so he can off a few if you get your order in early enough.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

Akira moving forward

Oct 19, 2011

Many fans were hoping that Warner Bros’ live-action adaptation of Akira would just die off with all the roadblocks the film faced during development. However, it seems as though that hope was in vein as WB has given the film the official go ahead, reports Variety. Jaume Collet-Serra will be directing the film, and is looking to begin production early next year. The film will also be changing its setting from Neo-Tokyo to Neo-Manhattan, much to the dismay of fans.
However, it seems that fans will at least be happy the studio is considering a character that would seem right for the lead role of Kaneda (It’s unknown what his name will be changed to in the Americanized version). Variety is also hearing that Garrett Hedlund (Tron: Legacy) is the frontrunner for that role. Hedlund would seem almost like a perfect choice given his role in Tron Legacy. But I assume that fans won’t be happy with whoever takes the role. No word on who’s auditioning for the role of Tetsuo.
Helena Bonham Carter and Gary Oldman for Akira?

Oct 23, 2011

With Warner Bros. now moving forward with Akira (here), it’s time to begin casting. Garret Hedlund is currenlty in talks to join the film as Kaneda, and sources are now telling Twitch that Helena Bonham Carter and Gary Oldman have been offered roles in the film. Oldman has been offered to play the role of the Colonel, with Carter offered the role of Lady Miyako. While both Carter and Oldman are extroidinary actors, fans will still be complaining about the studio whitewashing the cast. Although, it’s understandable complaining about a Caucasion actor portraying an Asian character.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Since this thread was originally about the Hughes Bros., I'd like to say that if you haven't seen it, watch Menace II Society since it's heartbreaking and heartfelt. I liked Dead Presidents, From Hell, etc., but Menace has to be their masterpiece, with one of the greatest endings in film history (yeah, I went there).

This would be the most amazing film ever made if they made it into a trilogy, used an all asian cast and filmed it in a sci-fi futuristic Tokyo.

Unfortunately Hollywood is full of the stupidest, most condescending idiots on the planet. How those people ever got so wealthy is beyond me.

Unfortunately Hollywood is full of the stupidest, most condescending idiots on the planet. How those people ever got so wealthy is beyond me.
It's too bad Ricky Gervais doesn't host the Oscars every year.

I can't recall single time when moving from anime to live action went well. Let alone with a completely different race of actors.

The only way I could support an Akira remake is if Wong Kar Wai and Takashi Miike were both behind it.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
It's too bad Ricky Gervais doesn't host the Oscars every year.
If what I have heard is true then Gervais is going to be hosting again, I should probably check and see if that's a fact or rumor.

More actors up for the role of Tetsuo

Warner Bros. seems to have had no problem getting the actors they want for the various roles in Jaume Collet-Serra’s Akira, but the studio is having a hard time finding an actor to portray the most important role, Tetsuo. The Hollywood Reporter has now revealed a new shortlist of actors auditioning for the role who’s names include: D.J. Cortrona, Logan Marshal Green, Toby Kebbell, Richard Madden, Rami Malek, and Micheal Pitt. Paul Dano and Alden Ehrenreich are said to be re-testing for the role.
All the actors are more or less unknown, but have gained praise for their work in Indie films. And with such names like Garret Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Gary Oldman, and Helena Bonham Carter already linked to the film, perhaps it’s best for this role to have an unknown actor. This could also be the role that could see anyone of those actors get recognized in Hollywood.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Possible plot details on Akira

Nov 30, 2011

Acting Auditions has posted a casting call for WB’s live-action Akira. In that casting call, possible plot details about the film have been revealed:
“Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel.
Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers.
Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo’s mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel’s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago”