Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

D.O.A. - Finally watched this 1949 murder mystery and it's an odd one. Haven't watched any of the remakes outside of Crank. But that was so far afield of this, the original, that it hardly counts as one. The meat of the story happens in flashback because as the movie opens Frank Bigelow (Edmond O'Brien) walks into Los Angeles police headquarters and asks to see the man in charge. "I'd like to report a murder", he tells the chief of detectives and when asked who was murdered Bigelow waits the requisite beat and answers, "I was."

Bigelow is an accountant and notary public plying his trade in the small California town of Banning. He's itching to get away from his responsibilities which apparently include his secretary and longtime girlfriend Paula Gibson (Pamela Britton). He's arranged a "getaway" for himself in San Francisco where he meets up with some conventioneers and goes bar hopping with them. While there a mysterious stranger switches drink with him and when he wakes up the next morning he is clearly feeling off. After visiting a doctor they drop the bombshell that he's ingested a radioactive toxin and has only a few days to live. He spends the rest of the movie and his remaining time on earth attempting to solve the mystery of his own murder.

As for the odd part, there are weird little touches like an awkward slide whistle sound effect whenever O'Brien sees an attractive female at the hotel he's staying at. Then there's the protracted scene at the jazz club where he first gets slipped the deadly concoction. The movie leans heavily for some reason into the effect the uptempo "negro music" has on the all white patrons, showing some of them in an almost fugue state and on the precipice of losing control. I still don't understand the point of it unless it was some sort of half-assed cautionary tale about the evils of "jungle music".

And at times there was enough scenery chewing going on with various characters for it to qualify as high camp. Neville Brand plays Chester, a psychopathic hired goon who talks about himself in the third person. Needless to say, Chester is starring in his own movie. Then there's Beverly Garland as Miss Foster, a secretary who knows much more than she's letting on. And Britton as Paula, Frank's dutiful girl Friday and longtime love interest has her moments as well. There's a scene in which the two declare their undying love for each other that goes on a little too long and tilts into overkill. It ends with Britton's character staring into the camera as if to make sure the "subtlety" wasn't lost on the audience.

These might sound like complaints but they're trifling because the film rises and falls on the strength of it's script which is admittedly a bit confusing at times. But I thought that the mystery part and Bigelow's investigation of his own murder are handled well enough. But what really sells the movie is O'Brien's all-in and energetic performance. He runs and falls and picks himself up and then runs some more. He looks like he's having fun doing it too. The sometimes frenetic pace and outsized performances end up working in it's favor and ultimately help sell the story.

80/100
I really liked this film. The opening is iconic, but the film as a whole is pretty good. I love all the twists and turns it takes.

LA LLORONA
(2019, Bustamante)

"Without justice, there is no peace."

I didn't know much about La Llorona, but saw it mentioned on several lists as I was looking for a good Central American film. I have to say that it was absolutely nothing like I was expecting. This is not the cheap, jumpscare filled, monster film that you might be led to believe, but rather a quite profound psychological thriller/drama with very strong political core about a man and his family haunted by guilt and regret.

From the first shot, the direction of Jayro Bustamante shines as he shows a great talent for framing and composition, as well as a patience to let the camera linger as we see every family member is suffering the fallout of Monteverde's crimes. The manifestation of these comes in the form of Alma (María Mercedes Coroy), a young villager that comes to work for the family as a maid. But is there more to her than what it seems?

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from 20th Century Fox., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3916540

An Affair to Remember - (1957)

The ending of this Leo McCarey film is what really got me - it was perfect and enough of an emotional punch to stir real emotions inside of me. The whole film wasn't bad though, with the charming Cary Grant wooing Deborah Kerr, at first in a friendly way. Both characters are engaged to other people, and they don't just jump into bed or suddenly fall in love. They just have one of those ship-board friendships that develop on cruises - but this one is deep enough to make both realise they're made for each other. First though, it's back on shore with a vow to meet each other at the top of the Empire State building in New York. You probably don't need me to tell you something goes wrong. The film is so very sweet and endearing - but also well made by a filmmaker I'm just starting to discover - despite having seen Ruggled From Red Gap some time ago. The only problem I had with everything was Cary Grant's rather extreme tan, which makes him look like he's been smeared with Vegemite before every take. I thought very highly of this film.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9250800

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - (1993)

What the hell was this? This nonsensical tale had various surreal moments that I enjoyed, but by the end nothing had gelled together - making everything feel like meaningless nonsense. Despite that, I enjoyed seeing John Hurt, Crispin Glover, Udo Kier, Noriyuki "Pat" Morita and Keanu Reeves in their roles - it's just that the movie they were in ended up being a bit of a disaster. The first half I enjoyed, despite the nonsensical craziness - but the second half wasn't even enjoyable for it's nonsense. I've heard that Tom Robbins' novel reads better than it plays onscreen, so I'll take it at that. I might have even liked this if it hadn't of slowly trailed off and got lost.

Edit - has a great soundtrack made up mostly of K.D. Lang songs, which really fit the movie. Nearly forgot to mention.

5/10 (+1 for Udo Kier)

By Ignition Print - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=14760460

Untraceable - (2008)

A solid, but ordinary, thriller/horror where the villain is murdering people by letting the numbers who watch the murders online hasten the victim's death. There's some effective scenes of horror in it - and it just happens to be one of those films that just ends so suddenly and prematurely that it felt like the filmmakers were apologizing to us and saying "we don't want to waste any more of your time."

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Catherine Called Birdy (2022) Bella Ramsey is fantastic in this enjoyable and energetic medieval comedy.
I really liked the book when I was, like, 10 years old. Debating whether or not I want to see this adaptation.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from 20th Century Fox., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3916540

An Affair to Remember - (1957)

The ending of this Leo McCarey film is what really got me - it was perfect and enough of an emotional punch to stir real emotions inside of me. The whole film wasn't bad though, with the charming Cary Grant wooing Deborah Kerr, at first in a friendly way. Both characters are engaged to other people, and they don't just jump into bed or suddenly fall in love. They just have one of those ship-board friendships that develop on cruises - but this one is deep enough to make both realise they're made for each other. First though, it's back on shore with a vow to meet each other at the top of the Empire State building in New York. You probably don't need me to tell you something goes wrong. The film is so very sweet and endearing - but also well made by a filmmaker I'm just starting to discover - despite having seen Ruggled From Red Gap some time ago. The only problem I had with everything was Cary Grant's rather extreme tan, which makes him look like he's been smeared with Vegemite before every take. I thought very highly of this film.

8/10

An Affair to Remember is a remake of the 1939 movie Love Affair starring Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne which is also good.

I really liked the book when I was, like, 10 years old. Debating whether or not I want to see this adaptation.
I say check it out. I think you would probably like it.

I say check it out. I think you would probably like it.
I'll keep it on my radar. I'm often very defensive/critical of movie adaptations of books I like. In this case, though, I'll admit that I don't remember the book well enough that I'd notice plot changes, so it's probably safer territory.

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/poster..._ver2_xxlg.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71110351

Smile - (2022)

I had a rollicking good time seeing Smile, with a theater full of frightened people. At first a couple of jump-scares had me thinking "here they go", and I decided to put a candy wrapper in my top pocket every time they did one - fearing I'd lose count. Well, there's bad news and good news about that - the bad news is I ended up with a top pocket stuffed full of candy wrappers, the good news is almost all of the scares in Smile depend on great horror imagery and genuinely scary moments. The quality of terror-inducing frights, storyline and real dread in this film make all of these scares the horror rollercoaster ride I'm always hoping for when I see movies like this, but so rarely get. Smile borrows heavily from all the best horror films from the last few decades, especially The Ring, It Follows, Hereditary, The Evil Dead and It - there's nothing really original to find here, but this Frankenstein monster of a film does it's job superbly and I enjoyed every minute.

I don't want to give much of the plot away, suffice to say the film is about a curse and plays like a much more serious and straight version of Drag Me to Hell - which I don't mind at all. I also want to say that my rating for this might go down a point when I see it on DVD with a smaller screen - there's something about horror on the big screen with lots of other people that heightens everything. But for now, I have to say I absolutely loved this movie in spite of it's derivative nature. It goes onto my favourite horror list for now. It has a terrific performance from Sosie Bacon and some visual elements which are out of this world - especially on the big screen.

8/10

By Heritage Auctions: [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4035289

The Dead Zone - (1983)

It has been decades since I last saw The Dead Zone - and it's one of those films where, watching it again, I remembered virtually none of it. Usually some parts come back to me, even after a really long time, but not here. It felt more like a drama to me - there's very little horror in it, and the story mostly concerns itself with the personal life of Johnny Smith (Christopher Walken) - who attains psychic gifts after being in a traffic accident. John Smith - I guess Stephen King wanted this guy to represent the average Joe. Anyway, he's in a coma for 5 years, loses the love of his life, and helps various people with his second sight. Eventually he comes across a shady politician and sees that this guy will start a nuclear war as president. Johnny Smith goes the political assassin route. It's a decent film, especially since it doesn't rely on the paranormal, but makes us care for the character.

6/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2005/producers.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3321626

The Producers - (2005)

When you write and direct a popular and beloved comedy, and then in your later years your career and talent go down the gurgler, is it possible to take your previous great films and milk them for every penny you can get? Can you ever! Brooks created a Broadway hit from his 1967 film The Producers, and thus we ended up with a musical remake of sorts. Matthew Broderick imitating Gene Wilder feels blasphemous, and a lot of the comedy (especially new stuff) falls a little flat. This movie has it's moments, but for the most part it's telling jokes that are half a century old - and not as well as they were told in the original. Will Ferrell feels horribly miscast. There's enough great-good-bad-awful in this for it to fall right in the center.

5/10

Amsterdam tonight. It seemed a lot like a junket for Hollywood A-Listers. I think it was supposed to be clever and cute in a Wes Anderson sort of way, but to me and my partner, it mainly came out overlong and inscrutable. I don't feel like trying to explain this this so, to quote Letterboxd

"In the 1930s, three friends—a doctor, a nurse, and an attorney—witness a murder, become suspects themselves and uncover one of the most outrageous plots in North American history."

Suffice to say, when it's over, after spending about a third of the movie scratching my head, I finally realized that it's a movie with a message - Fascism is bad. Well, whoop-dee-doo. I sat through 2+ hours, hoping it would get better, trying to scrute the inscrutable, only to find out that fascism is bad?

Goodnight Mommy (2014)

An exercise in boredom and a prime example of a twist movie done wrong. It's like being forced to spend 90 minutes on a test where the only question is 1 + 1 = ?.

--
Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure (1981)

As a kid, I liked Bud Spencer and Terence Hill a lot. The immature charms of the film still managed to entertain at some level, but it's not the masterpiece I once thought it was. For some reason, most of Hill's characters feel like sociopaths to me now.

--
Sinister (2012)

A rewatch for the next countdown. There are some pacing issues, but it's a pretty good investigative horror film. The home movies are very nice.

--
Bullet Train

Lots of forced humor and silly characters. It felt like a B-tier script that erroneously went into an A-tier production pile. Kick-Ass is the highlight of the film.

--
Trapped Alive (1988)

A dull and timid cannibal miner movie filled with stupid characters and bad acting. The few murders are lackluster but at least we get a pair of boobs and some underwear adventuring.

--
Blonde (2022)

A Marilyn Monroe biopic that's somewhere between Repulsion and Von Trier. I'd like to say that the pacing is a little weird, but then again, the film is not very traditionally structured. Maybe a tad too long, still, and I'm not a huge fan of so wildly behaving aspect ratio. It's a lot different than I expected, and I ended up liking it a lot more too.

--
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Sometimes Trash is the best a film has to offer. That's definitely true in this case.

--
Hellraiser (2022)

I'm a little confused here. Why is this Hellraiser considered to be somehow different from the number of direct-to-video sequels we got between 1996 and 2018? Easily has 30 minutes of bloat but even the heavy editing wouldn't have fixed the bland and soulless horror tropes the series has sunk to.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Barbie Fairytopia: Mermaidia (Walter P. Martishius & William Lau, 2006)

Okay so there was some hype for this one and not only because the first Fairytopia film is pretty great but because I saw someone's ranked list of these films and there were so many comments of people being like "why tf you have Mermaidia so low", like it was basically every comment lmao. So I here I am, all jazzed up for this one and its... kinda not hitting. Out the gate we have a recap of the first film into the romantic interest being kidnapped (yawn) into introduction of secondary lead character I find annoying and even though I'm probably the biggest proponent of jank 3D animation, god there's a lot of character designs here that are simply nightmare fuel. But that's only the beginning of the film though as once we actually get to actual adventure Mermaidia does so much to win me back and straight up just has some of the strongest moments in the franchise to date. Even though I found Nori quite annoying off the bat, she ends up being likeable and I like how her and Elina's friendship develops over the course of the film. A thing I liked about the first Fairytopia film was having Barbie's character's prize not being a man for once but it seemed pretty obvious they were going to head back in that direction for this sequel, but they actually subverted it, which was cool. By the end its a pretty solid adventure with some stakes that feel substantial and a few moments that are pretty impactful. Some nice environments through out as well. This is a tough one to rate with how not into it I was at the start vs. how into it I was by the end but its definitely still a good one at the end of the day.
?

Victim of The Night
Sinister (2012)

A rewatch for the next countdown. There are some pacing issues, but it's a pretty good investigative horror film. The home movies are very nice.
I think the home-movies were the only thing about this film I did like.
Mr. Edgelord Boogedy was a pretty sorry-looking villain.

And, obviously, you are completely wrong about Return Of The Living Dead, which I will heaping praise upon next week in my thread.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Amsterdam tonight. It seemed a lot like a junket for Hollywood A-Listers.

The vibe of the trailer was less than the sum of its parts. And needle drops make me claw my eyes out meow.

By impawards.com/1988/frantic.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4104754

Frantic - (1988)

This didn't do much for me when it first came out, and does a lot more for me now - with many noir conventions and a deliberate pace that sits uneasy with a person used to much faster, more physical films. I still think it might be a few taxi rides too long, but it does seem to have one of Harrison Ford's more interesting performances - an actor who has never really stretched himself too much. A mystery first and foremost, with Dr. Richard Walker (Ford) checking into his Paris hotel with his wife, who suddenly goes missing while he's in the shower. Where did she go? Well, the fact that they grabbed the wrong suitcase at the airport is the key to everything - something Walker doesn't pick up immediately. We go on a trip around Paris as he searches for her, with murder, espionage, drug dealing and many shady characters cropping up. It has a nice atmosphere of dread - but we all know why Polanski is making yet another film in Europe, and that still sits in the back of my mind. It's by no means a brilliant piece of moviemaking, but it's not bad.

7/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25013541

Let Me In - (2010)

Having seen Let the Right One In, this film did nothing for me, of course - I've seen it once before. On a second viewing, I found that despite some baffling changes to the story, it mostly sticks to the original and I didn't think it was too bad by itself. If I hadn't of seen the far superior original, I might even be saying this is a really good horror film. It's happened to me twice, with After the Wedding and The Next Three Days - but don't let it happen to you. If you haven't seen either film, see Let the Right One In and not this. If making this movie means that some people who refuse to watch foreign language films got to see an approximation of it, then I guess it's serving some kind of purpose - but I get tired of all these English language doubles walking around, bumping into me by mistake. Chloë Grace Moretz is pretty good as Abby, and the film is well made. Matt Reeves did a good job (blasphemous to some - but a good job nonetheless.)

6/10

On the Count of Three, 2021

Val (Jerrod Carmichael, who also directs) has had enough. When a suicide attempt at work gets interrupted, he goes to visit his childhood friend, Kevin (Christopher Abbott), who has been institutionalized for a suicide attempt. Val busts Kevin out of the facility, and they decide to enter a suicide pact. But when it comes time to pull the trigger, Kevin asks for one more day before they end it all. Together they set out to live a little and right soem wrongs from their pasts.

I really enjoyed this film, which was full of conversations and confrontations that often did not go the way I expected.

For me, this movie entirely succeeded in doing what it needed to do on both sides of its story. I thought that it was consistently funny and also carried through two compelling character arcs via its lead characters.

The comedy aspect works both because of the writing itself and the chemistry and timing of the two leads. While Kevin is the one who delayed their deaths, it ends up being Val who is the more cautious of the two as they go about their day. Kevin's dominant mood is one of manic, uninhibited joy. Carmichael has great comedic timing, which is impressive because he often ends up as more of the straight man in their conversations. Abbott brings moments of unfettered joy to Kevin, as the relief of knowing he will die (and with a friend) snaps him out of his funk.

The comedy here carries the film and the characters through some pretty heavy stuff. Very early on in the film, we learn that Kevin was mercilessly bullied in school, including being hit by a classmate's truck in the school parking lot and suffering serious physical injuries. We learn this from the man who hit him, while the man's wife stands by and does the whole "Oh that's terrible!" thing through laughter of her own. As the film unfolds, we learn more about the childhoods that shaped Kevin and Val, including some pretty serious traumas. I didn't feel that the film was drawing a direct link between their past experiences and their desire to die, necessarily, but rather you can see how the isolating impact of these experiences has deepened their depression, especially Kevin's.

I also really appreciated the way that the film handled the "one last day" plot trope. Kevin and Val are living in a frame of mind where there are no real consequences. On the milder end this means things like Val quitting his job without any diplomacy. On the more extreme end, it means that they are free to commit acts of revenge, including violence. There's nothing to keep Val and Kevin from hurting, or even killing, anyone who has wronged them except their own sense of conscience. Watching the way that this plays out through the film is really interesting and generates a lot of suspense.

No complaints. I thought that this film was excellent, buoyed by great performances, great writing, and a strain of empathy that balances perfectly with the film's humor.

13th (2016)

Blind choice from the female director's list. A quick look at the poster tells me it's a documentary that should be interesting and relevant. Then seeing that it's part of the Black Lives Matter Collection, I say uh oh as I believe the BLM movement is the worst thing to happen to black people in years.

I thought the first half of this was slanted and misleading, but also pretty excellent. It shows some of the history of mistreatment towards black people in America, that while shown many times before, is still important to be reminded of. I certainly had a problem with the way it lead the viewer, but it was compelling nonetheless. The American prison population is this, ok but that means what exactly. The rate that black men are imprisoned is this, ok but that means what exactly. We are just lead to believe it must be one thing, but there's never any talk about crime, crime rates, or victims of crime. Of course no solutions either, although we have recently seen things like letting people out of jail early and getting rid of bail, and the results have been disastrous.

The second half of the movie I really started to get uncomfortable, and that's because I detected flat out intentional dishonesty. Lies were spoken and that's disgusting when dealing with important subject matter like this.

http://internetisinamerica.blogspot....-flat-out.html

I do not want to get political, but I have to give an example of the dishonesty. There was a point in the movie when it was showing historical clips of black people being abused. While showing these clips, it played Donald Trump talking over it, as if he was talking to or about black people, and perpetuating a racist time in our history. While you hear him say "In the good old days law enforcement acted a lot quicker than this", it shows clips of black people being dragged down the street and put in jail cells. The implication is clear, but this is the actual video when he said those words-

Now seriously wtf is that? It doesn't matter who you are, who you like, or what you believe in, anybody should be offended by that. What really happened is the complete opposite of what they are telling us.

With about 15 minutes left, I was thinking to myself that people are going to die because this film was made. Sure enough, it suddenly goes to a BLM segment. I would later read that the viewing of this film went up over 4,000% during the George Floyd protests. Hmmm, you don't have to be that smart to know what that might cause to happen. There's much better ways to do things.

This movie was a good watch, but it's so flawed that I cannot give it a good rating.