Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Blue Jasmine (2013) was pretty good, but I didn't love it like most people seem to. The story was good, but I just never really connected to Jasmine, and I just couldn't feel bad for her, especially when she was lying to people. I hate Andrew Dice Clay, so seeing him in the movie didn't help, and the way the movie kept flipping back and forth from the past to the present was kind of annoying after a while, so that didn't help either. I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't love it either.
I get that you don't like his usual persona, but didn't you think he was likable in the movie?

Yes, his character was likable, but just hearing his voice reminded me of how much I hate him. He's just one of those people that I try to avoid whenever possible.

Blue Jasmine is a good study of humans, when they fail and suffer or make the bad choices, knowingly or unknowingly, and yet despite the tragedy around their lives, I didn't feel sad for anyone. Even when the story felt realistic, it failed to make me feel bad for anyone, including Blanchett who clearly develops serious mental issues by the end. In fact I hated most of them, except Blanchett's stepson, after that scene in the music shop.

Maybe that was Allen's goal, afterall. To show how shallow and selfish humans can be. Though I wish if he had made different choices about the approach, we might have at least cared for Blanchett by the end.

Thanks for the recommendation @mistique

I definitely think we are supposed to have as much sympathy for Jasmine as she has for everyone else. The juxtaposition of her and her sister is the whole thesis of the film in my opinion.

I didn't feel emotionally moved to sadness or caring for Jasmine. Sometimes for me, being connected to a story or caring for the characters is all important, but not always. What I liked about Blue Jasmine was it felt like a window into the personal lives of two sisters and the people they come into contact with instead. It was about the people more than about the situations...By that I mean Jasmine herself is more important to the film than say her sons departure from her life is. That's probably why there's more weight given to Jasmine's mental state than her job/financial state.

Good choice @mistique

Andhadhun is a dark comedy thriller adapted from the French short L'Accordeur.
It is made by a filmmaker who is known for his thrillers.

It's available on Netflix, but there's a free version with English subs on YouTube, but it's 360p.

The YouTube link
WARNING: spoilers below

If anyone has any problem finding it let me know.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Just finished my re-watch of Blue Jasmine. Yeah, it is always a pleasure to watch an Allan's movie. What a superb filmmaker!
I remember, on the release of the Jasmine, I was a bit bored, considering the Woody's standards, and then I rated this film only
I want it in my ballot but there are another four Allen movies of that decade that I rate higher so I still can't decide what to do...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Andhadhun is a dark comedy thriller adapted from the French short L'Accordeur.
It is made by a filmmaker who is known for his thrillers.

It's available on Netflix, but there's a free version with English subs on YouTube, but it's 360p.

The YouTube link
WARNING: spoilers below

If anyone has any problem finding it let me know.

This movie sounds interesting. I might watch it if I can find the time.

Thanks for the link.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
2010-19

Top level (
to
):

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010)
A Rainy Day in New York (2019)
To Rome With Love (2012)

Good (
):

Wonder Wheel (2017)
Blue Jasmine (2013)
Café Society (2016)
Midnight in Paris (2011)

OK level (
):

Irrational Man (2015)
Magic in the Moonlight (2014)

2010-19

Top level (
to
):

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010)
A Rainy Day in New York (2019)
To Rome With Love (2012)

Good (
):

Wonder Wheel (2017)
Blue Jasmine (2013)
Café Society (2016)
Midnight in Paris (2011)

OK level (
):

Irrational Man (2015)
Magic in the Moonlight (2014)

Your good level are my 4 fave from the decade in this order: Jasmine, Paris, Cafe, Wonder

I haven’t seen Magic or Tall Dark.

I think Jasmine and Paris are in the top third of his filmography for me. All the others shuffled around in that lower third somewhere.

Just watched Andhadhun, quite enjoyed it once I got into the vibe (which did take a few minutes) and generally it was nicely enough played though I do think it twisted and turned a little too much for its own good. Glad to have watched it so thanks for nominating it as I wouldn't have known of it otherwise.

I don't generally stream much so probably best that I'm left out of the possible nominees list as I really wouldn't have a clue as to availability.

I don't generally stream much so probably best that I'm left out of the possible nominees list as I really wouldn't have a clue as to availability.
Aw, you sure? I'm generally really good at finding movies online for free, so availability likely won't be a problem.

Aw, you sure? I'm generally really good at finding movies online for free, so availability likely won't be a problem.
Well if you'd be happy to try and source whatever I chose if I was selected by the RNG I'd of course be happy enough to put something forward. Didn't want to assume you'd do that though.

Well if you'd be happy to try and source whatever I chose if I was selected by the RNG I'd of course be happy enough to put something forward. Didn't want to assume you'd do that though.
Don't worry about it. The rest of us will watch a film by any means necessary. You are probably the only honest member, an oddity.