Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

REJECTED
(2000, Hertzfeldt)

"This is fun!"
"..."
"My anus is bleeding!"

Rejected is a collection of brief shorts allegedly devised as potential ads for both the fictional Family Learning Channel and Johnson & Mills Corporation. Their rejection subsequently drives the animator to progressively lose his sanity, which is in turn reflected in his work and the fictional world within it.

The truth is that creator Don Hertzfeldt has never worked in advertising, but he still uses the format to take jabs at consumerism, among other things, with a tone that goes from surreal and absurd to dark and gruesome. Most of the shorts are hilarious be it by design or just a by product of their "WTF-ery".

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

IN THE BEGINNING WAS WATER AND SKY
(2017, Ward)

"When you return, everything you know will be gone."

In the Beginning was Water and Sky opens with the ominous lede about the hundreds of Indian boarding schools that were opened during the 19th Century in the United States. Their goal was to eradicate Native American culture by "reeducating" Native children in the "American way".

The short follows a very loose narrative, but it mostly focuses on two of these children (Norma-Sue Hill and Shohnáhose Davin Bomberry) as they are taken from their tribe into one of these boarding schools. There they are witnesses to mistreatment, torture, and abuse from the leaders.

Grade:

Victim of The Night
REJECTED
(2000, Hertzfeldt)

Rejected is a collection of brief shorts allegedly devised as potential ads for both the fictional Family Learning Channel and Johnson & Mills Corporation. Their rejection subsequently drives the animator to progressively lose his sanity, which is in turn reflected in his work and the fictional world within it.

The truth is that creator Don Hertzfeldt has never worked in advertising, but he still uses the format to take jabs at consumerism, among other things, with a tone that goes from surreal and absurd to dark and gruesome. Most of the shorts are hilarious be it by design or just a by product of their "WTF-ery".

Grade:

How does one see this?

How does one see this?
It's on YouTube. I put a link on my thread, right after the full review. Check it out.

SF = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Enjoyed this. Witherspoon totally made this movie. Bogged down a bit in the courtroom scenes, but, overall, a fun good movie.

Never heard of this 2007 movie until very recently. (Was it here?) Very very good movie. I saw it twice in 2 days. Bad lighting in some of the interiors which drives me nuts. It’s nice to make things natural, but not if you can’t see anything.

THE FALL
(2019, Glazer)

"Our greatest strength lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall."

The Fall is a short film from Jonathan Glazer. Set in an undetermined time, it follows a mob of masked men pursuing one of them (also masked) and enacting some sort of trial on him. The sentence? To be dropped with a noose down an eternally deep well.

At 7 minutes and with pretty much no dialogue, there is not much that can be said about this in terms of story. But that doesn't seem to be Glazer's motive. Instead, he manages to create an eerie atmosphere that's as unsettling as some of the films we know him for.

The grotesque design of the masks, the creepy vibe of the minimalist score, it all comes together to create a nightmarish short. The above quote is not from the short, since it has no dialogue, but it might encapsulate what seems to be the philosophy of the lead character. You gotta rise again; not necessarily for pride, but for survival.

Grade:

This one can be seen in its official website.

WHAT'S OPERA, DOC?
(1957, Jones)

"Be vewy quiet... I'm hunting wabbits."

Words that are familiar to anyone around my age. But when you add a bit of opera, to the mix, the results are even more hilarious. That is the premise of this animated short film from Chuck Jones and WB Merrie Melodies.

What's Opera, Doc? follows the familiar setup of Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny, while parodying various operas from 19th Century composer Richard Wagner, along with storms, earthquakes, an overweight horse, and some ballet.

This is a short I had seen several times since I was a kid, but I think this is the first time I've seen it with a more critical eye. It's quite impressive the attention to detail from Jones, writer Michael Maltese, and composer Milt Franklyn. The way they seamlessly weave this story with the music and the animation is definitely pwiceless.

Grade:

Victim of The Night
WHAT'S OPERA, DOC?
(1957, Jones)

Words that are familiar to anyone around my age. But when you add a bit of opera, to the mix, the results are even more hilarious. That is the premise of this animated short film from Chuck Jones and WB Merrie Melodies.

What's Opera, Doc? follows the familiar setup of Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny, while parodying various operas from 19th Century composer Richard Wagner, along with storms, earthquakes, an overweight horse, and some ballet.

This is a short I had seen several times since I was a kid, but I think this is the first time I've seen it with a more critical eye. It's quite impressive the attention to detail from Jones, writer Michael Maltese, and composer Milt Franklyn. The way they seamlessly weave this story with the music and the animation is definitely pwiceless.

Grade:
I wanna know what made this not a perfect 5 for you.
I think of it as High Art and legendary.

I wanna know what made this not a perfect 5 for you.
I think of it as High Art and legendary.
I don't know. It's a combination of how well it's made and how much it gets to me. My favorite Merrie Melodies short is One Froggy Evening, which would probably get a 5/5 from me. Duck Amuck would probably be close too. This one is perfectly made, but it doesn't get to me in the same way that those other two.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

-

I have never felt compelled to see this, I just watched it because it seems like a good bet to make the upcoming countdown. I'm very up and down on the Coens, and this immediately becomes one of my favorites from them. Of course I favor their crime films, but comparing this to The Big Lebowski, I actually thought this was funnier which I didn't expect. What a great cast of characters assembled here.

-

I have never felt compelled to see this, I just watched it because it seems like a good bet to make the upcoming countdown. I'm very up and down on the Coens, and this immediately becomes one of my favorites from them. Of course I favor their crime films, but comparing this to The Big Lebowski, I actually thought this was funnier which I didn't expect. What a great cast of characters assembled here.
Yeah, that one is great. It'll surely make my ballot for the 2010s countdown.

-

This movie is hilarious!

I went and saw Bros today. I enjoyed it. Bros is a smart and witty romantic comedy that is laugh out loud funny. The two lead actors, Billy Eichner and Luke Macfarlane, are both good. My rating is

Never heard of this 2007 movie until very recently. (Was it here?) Very very good movie. I saw it twice in 2 days. Bad lighting in some of the interiors which drives me nuts. It’s nice to make things natural, but not if you can’t see anything.
While I thought it was a bit uneven, that sequence with Collette and Ribisi is something else.

I went and saw Bros today. I enjoyed it. Bros is a smart and witty romantic comedy that is laugh out loud funny. The two lead actors, Billy Eichner and Luke Macfarlane, are both good. My rating is
Im a big fan of Billy Eichner and I’m glad to hear his new movie is good. Looking forward to it.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2017/death_wish_xlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54750441

Death Wish - (2018)

Uuuuuuggggggh. Okay. Lets cut straight to the chase. This movie isn't Death Wish, or a remake on any derivation of Death Wish. It's your stock standard revenge flick, and nothing else. When you make a film that's purporting to be either a remake of that film, or anything related to the novel, and then you don't turn your character into a deranged vigilante - well, I have serious doubts about your credibility. I'll go straight to the producer here, Roger Birnbaum. He produced the 2014 remake of Robocop, the 2016 remake of The Magnificent Seven and the 2011 remake of Footloose. (Mike Myers' The Love Guru was one of his as well.) Truth be told, I was expecting something like this - and my curiosity got the better of me. This is the kind of movie where the wife of Paul Kersey (Bruce Willis) is killed, and his daughter is put into a coma, and he reacts by shedding a quiet tear and then pretty much he's okay - I've seen people react worse when their football team loses. All he really does is hunt down the people that did it and kill them, while in what's meant to be Death Wish Kersey starts murdering any and all criminals he can find, no matter how serious their crime. There's a lot of difference - but I guess the people making this wanted the same standard they always dish out - predictable, safe, boring, and a complete waste of time. The movie doesn't say anything any more. The whole point has been missed, and cut from the film. Eli Roth, is this all you are? A complete hack? I don't like you sir - not now.

3/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I think Willis is actually pretty good in the Eli Roth Death Wish. I think the problem with the movie is that Roth doesn't have a clear angle he wants to take with the material. Some scenes feel like a straight ahead execution of the genre, others feel like parody, none are executed with enough conviction to really land.