Return of the Jedi

→ in
Tools    

RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983)

‘Return of the Jedi’, the third instalment in the blockbuster trilogy, provides the perfect ending to what can only be described as the biggest franchise in cinema history. George Lucas again abandon’s the director’s chair in favour of a more hands-on roll within production, and every other aspect of making a movie. First choice director Steven Spielberg became unapproachable after Lucas pulled out of the Director’s Guild along with the Writer’s and Motion Picture Guilds. This was due to Lucas receiving a $250,000 fine for his insistence in only having credits appear at the end of his space epic’s to allow for what is now the trademark curtain raisers to his films. Instead Welshman Richard Marquand was handed the directorial honours.

After switching titles from ‘Return of the Jedi’ to ‘Revenge of the Jedi’ and with hundreds of printed t-shirts and promo posters to accompany this new title Lucas, in traditional Lucas fashion, announced to his team that he’ll be reverting back to the original name due to ‘Revenge’ not being a Jedi concept. Once again putting the emphasis on the creator’s need for perfection no matter what the outcome or cost.

This eagerly awaited follow-up was to again break all box-office records on its way to becoming one of the most visually stunning science fiction films of all time, again inspiring legions of wannabe directors.

Luke Skywalker arrives back home on Tatooine to rescue his friend Captain Han Solo from the evil clutches of Jabba the Hutt. After being delivered to the kingpin gangster by the notorious Bounty Hunter Bobba Fett, Han Solo remains frozen in carbonite on display in Jabba’s court under the close guard of Fett himself. With the help of old friends C3-PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Lando Calrission and Princess Leia, Luke manages to rescue Solo defeating the mighty Jabba and his henchmen in the process.

Meanwhile Darth Vader, still obsessed with finding Skywalker, and Emperor Palpatine arrive to oversee the final stages of construction on the new Death Star a space station even more devastating and powerful than its predecessor. After his final visit to Yoda, Luke realises his destiny is to confront Vader and bring an end to the Galactic Empire.

Palpatine and Vader await Luke’s arrival whilst unleashing a devastating assault on the Rebel Alliance who have arrived to destroy the Death Star once and for all.

Again Lucas manages to deliver escapism in its finest form. As with ‘Empire’ the direction of ‘Return of the Jedi’ oozes with Lucas’ style again suggesting that Lucas never really managed to prise himself from that coveted chair.

The space battle between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, which serves as the finale to the saga, is nothing short of visually stunning. We slip between the Battle of Endor, the pre-mentioned space battle and Vader’s confrontation with Luke, which is by far the best Light-Sabre dual in the trilogy, with a relentless pace as the action builds towards its climax. Legendary film composer John Williams adds an atmospheric piece to the Vader-Luke dual, which would provide the benchmark for his successful scores in the more recent Star Wars prequels.

After my complete praise of this trilogy I must now add that it’s in fact ‘Return of the Jedi’ which, if I’m to be picky, delivers my first and only real dislike of the saga. How can Lucas allow the ‘Ewoks’ to help defeat the formidable Stormtroopers? This furry creature who’s killer instinct matches that of a docile tortoise? I know they had the help of half a dozen rebels but that image of teddy bears dropping bricks on the trooper’s heads and battering them with twigs just didn’t work for me. However, to see this all-conquering army fall from grace in such a manor was a small hiccup in comparison to the spectacle of grandeur that is ‘The Star Wars Trilogy’. It also helped to bring the saga out of the darkness of ‘Empire’, which I suppose was Lucas’ intention.

After that minor glitch I will conclude with the fact that with the exception of ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy I can’t see the ‘Star Wars’ saga ever being equalled. Although on that note it’ll be interesting to see how many ‘Lord of the Rings’ movies make film fans top 20 in 30 years time.

“One thing remains: Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be.” - Yoda

Stuart Evans

you could have just added it to the Star Wars Thread.

Sorry, my intention was certainly not to bore you.

Duh, nobody wants to bore anybody when they write a review. It didnt bore me, what gave you that idea? If its about the face i use it all the time -_- <----

And please stop making a bunch of Star Wars Review Threads. Just make an conflictscript's reviews thread or something.....

This is the 'Movie Review' section of the forum so that's what I'm doing. Is there a rule that I'm missing about how many threads you're allowed?

No rules about that, but if each thread your making is about your reviews why not making one of just Conflictscripts reviews. Thats why there are threads like those. Or else reviews will be everywhere. Say you wanna look at your old reviews and there scattar through pages 1-13 do you feel like digging it up? Options are use the search or just make a conflictscripts thread where you can browse your old or recent reviews.

does anyone consider this movie the weakest of the sequels?

No. Your question doesn't make sense.

No. Your question doesn't make sense.
the sequels meaning star wars a new hope and the 2 movies after

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
What a bump!!!!

I considered Jedi my favourite of the original trilogy. Even though many consider it the weakest.

Suspect's Reviews

does anyone consider this movie the weakest of the sequels?
Maybe the weakest of the original three but still a very good film and vastly better than the recent sequels.

Generally I consider it a bit uneven, some of it is as good as anything in the original triliogy, the opening with Jaba, the return to Yoda/Ben, the space battle and the Vader/Emperor confrontation. The Endor section though isn't up to that standard for me, actually less due to the Ewoks and more due to the Han/Leia story being a bit dull.

Generally I think Starwars has tended to be exellent(the originals and Rogue One) or terrible(the prequels and sequels) with really only Solo as the just "ok" film.

Maybe the weakest of the original three but still a very good film and vastly better than the recent sequels.

Generally I consider it a bit uneven, some of it is as good as anything in the original triliogy, the opening with Jaba, the return to Yoda/Ben, the space battle and the Vader/Emperor confrontation. The Endor section though isn't up to that standard for me, actually less due to the Ewoks and more due to the Han/Leia story being a bit dull.

Generally I think Starwars has tended to be exellent(the originals and Rogue One) or terrible(the prequels and sequels) with really only Solo as the just "ok" film.
The battle of endor was a bit too obvious if i mean to say, and i only like to mention it because of how it sounds when u say it:the battle of endor

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
OMG JEDI HOW MANY SUMMER DAYS DID I SPEND TRYING TO FORCE-MOVE ANY EDITION OF OUR ENCYCLOPEDIA SET FROM THE BOOK SHELF?!!?!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think I would have to say that Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie. Either this one or A New Hope, but I think I slightly leaning towards this one.

It is the perfect Star Wars movie and perfect ending. However, one thing I did not care for was making Leia, Luke's sister. I am not sure if I should have wrapped a SPOILER tag around that or not, but it seems everyone knows about this now.

That part of the movie felt forced, like it came out of nowhere, when it just feels like a very odd coincidence of sorts. But the rest of the movie was perfect and made it the best entry I think.

So it seems this might be the only movie in theaters right now that I would like to see. 40th anniversary edition of Retun of the Jedi. My only complaint is episodes 4 & 5 arent also showing because I would rather see them all together over a weekend but I guess settling for the end of the trilogy by itself will have to do. Anyone else go to this re-release?

I went to it today. Staff at the cinema I frequent said they've been having sold out screenings all weekend and have put on additional screenings than were originally intended to cope with the demand. Today was a bank holiday here in UK, and even for a 13.00 screening they had more than 100 people. The evening screenings have been total sell outs!

I remember going to the movies as a kid to see ESB and ROTJ in 1980 and 1983 respectively, along with what seemed like the long hours of staning in a queue to get tickets. I did also see the original SW in theatres, although was a little too young for the original 1977 run, did go to it in the lead up to the release of ESB. Today was the first time at the cinema for any original trilogy film since 1997 and the dawn of the re-release tinkerings. Today's was once again one of those re-release tinkered versions rather than the original.