Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Really enjoyed that documentary. He was a wild guy, and a little nuts, but IMO admirable. I don't believe he committed suicide. He foolishly flaunted the U.S. government and others.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Really enjoyed that documentary. He was a wild guy, and a little nuts, but IMO admirable. I don't believe he committed suicide. He foolishly flaunted the U.S. government and others.

I didn't see it today, but sure I'll see it before the week is over.

Did you see the other documentary on him, "Gringo"? An interesting guy. I don't have to hang out with him, lol. He did have this habit of acting with his fake speech, but could change very quickly if he talked with someone more serious like the interview below.

[Running With the Devil] I didn't see it today, but sure I'll see it before the week is over.

Did you see the other documentary on him, "Gringo"? An interesting guy. I don't have to hang out with him, lol. He did have this habit of acting with his fake speech, but could change very quickly if he talked with someone more serious like the interview below.
You know, it was Gringo that I saw, not "Running". Looking forward to watching Running With the Devil.

Nice interview clip you put up!

[Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee (2022)]You know, it was Gringo that I saw, not "Running". Looking forward to watching Running With the Devil.
Nice interview clip you put up![/quote @matt72582:
Watched "Running" last night. It was a fascinating piece, especially because we think we know the outcome.

He lived his later life as a fugitive, mostly real but part fantasy/paranoia. I can't help admiring the guy.

What did you think about his ex-girlfriend's statement at the end? She had such a cryptic look in her eyes. She'd been brutally honest all the way through, so I don't know why she would make up that story.

WARNING: spoilers below
McAfee is certainly the type of guy who had the imagination and the wherewithal to fake his death, plus the Spanish authorities won't release his body for identification; so it sure makes one wonder. At the very least there's no question in my mind that if he's dead, it was a murder.

[quote=GulfportDoc;2328308]
[Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee (2022)]You know, it was Gringo that I saw, not "Running". Looking forward to watching Running With the Devil.

Nice interview clip you put up![/quote @matt72582:
Watched "Running" last night. It was a fascinating piece, especially because we think we know the outcome.

He lived his later life as a fugitive, mostly real but part fantasy/paranoia. I can't help admiring the guy.

What did you think about his ex-girlfriend's statement at the end? She had such a cryptic look in her eyes. She'd been brutally honest all the way through, so I don't know why she would make up that story.

WARNING: spoilers below
McAfee is certainly the type of guy who had the imagination and the wherewithal to fake his death, plus the Spanish authorities won't release his body for identification; so it sure makes one wonder. At the very least there's no question in my mind that if he's dead, it was a murder.

I've always liked rebels of any sorts. I recommend you watch the Jim Traficant documentary, which is available on vimeo and who knows where else.

I will say I preferred "Gringo" more.

WARNING: "MCAFEE" spoilers below
I actually think if there's one person who would kill himself, it's McAfee. Besides the fact his father killed himself, McAfee was a miserable guy, and seemed to only look for people to use, paying everyone off as if they were for sale. I think he knew it was in his best interest to treat the people around him with respect. But, I think he loved knowing, "They're going to accuse the US government of killing me" - basically trolling them from his grave. Anyone else, I'd blame the government by default, but he even gets a tattoo "WHACKED" before-hand. I've seen over dozens of interviews, half of them when he was on the run. If you watch the interview I posted above, and then watch another one around the same time, you'll see the fake McAfee, who's trying to impress 25-yr old girls, talking about drugs, bitcoin, and his cadence, and phrases, just so phony, but that hour-long interview is very ... obvious (especially regarding privacy, CIA influence)..

Maybe.

This is actually a perfectly serviceable genre film. Very engrossing.
However I abhor the cliche of killing off the competent characters and leaving the idiots.
But then, I’ve always loved Sharlto Copley, so I guess I’m biased.

[quote=matt72582;2328322]

I've always liked rebels of any sorts. I recommend you watch the Jim Traficant documentary, which is available on vimeo and who knows where else.

I will say I preferred "Gringo" more.

WARNING: "MCAFEE" spoilers below
I actually think if there's one person who would kill himself, it's McAfee. Besides the fact his father killed himself, McAfee was a miserable guy, and seemed to only look for people to use, paying everyone off as if they were for sale. I think he knew it was in his best interest to treat the people around him with respect. But, I think he loved knowing, "They're going to accuse the US government of killing me" - basically trolling them from his grave. Anyone else, I'd blame the government by default, but he even gets a tattoo "WHACKED" before-hand. I've seen over dozens of interviews, half of them when he was on the run. If you watch the interview I posted above, and then watch another one around the same time, you'll see the fake McAfee, who's trying to impress 25-yr old girls, talking about drugs, bitcoin, and his cadence, and phrases, just so phony, but that hour-long interview is very ... obvious (especially regarding privacy, CIA influence)..
Yeah, I think Gringo was the better film of the two, although "Running" kept one glued to the screen as well.

The two reasons I don't think he committed suicide are that, 1. The Spanish authorities still won't release the body for examination after all this time, and, 2. He was/is a classic narcissist who believed he could get out of any scrape. That type is generally not suicidal.

Nice clip re Trafficant. I recall his tenure and his conviction. Tough guy.

[quote=GulfportDoc;2328404]
Yeah, I think Gringo was the better film of the two, although "Running" kept one glued to the screen as well.

The two reasons I don't think he committed suicide are that, 1. The Spanish authorities still won't release the body for examination after all this time, and, 2. He was/is a classic narcissist who believed he could get out of any scrape. That type is generally not suicidal.

Nice clip re Trafficant. I recall his tenure and his conviction. Tough guy.

In one of his last interviews, he seemed so resigned. "I'm 75 years" -- basically, "I had my fun -- I love freedom" so I still think it's possible he did, just to "troll" the governments he hates.

But, it's very possible we hear about him in Mexico.. Robert Maxwell (with the great kid - Ghislaine) faked his own death. "Media mogul" (Mossad) was caught eventually.

I think otherwise, he would have paid his taxes, or at least claimed money he made to be a free man, but he probably had enough, and his body/mind probably had enough. But again, maybe he had plans, and maybe someone else beat them to it.

I think the girlfriend at the end... anytime someone says, "I shouldn't be saying this", I think... "Sales pitch", but she could be truthful, because she was featured in "Gringo".

I'm from the Midwest, and Traficant was very popular here. Populist. And still the only one to beat a RICO case, defending himself, despite not being a lawyer. But they found a way to screw him. "Your employees painted your barn" -- "It was a bonding experience. Drank beers, painted a barn" and a few other things got him in the slammer. It's a great documentary - I have it around here somewhere.