Question about a piece of electronic appliance in an indian movie

Tools    

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the indian movie "Don" (2006):

At about 31:54 minutes of film (Youtube page), the main actor (Shah Rukh Khan) operates a CD/DVD player converted for UMDs, an optical disc format exclusively used for the PSP.

So, does anyone knows what is the brand/model of this CD/DVD player?

However, after looking, it may be an adapter (UMD to CD). In that case, is it possible to know the name of the company which makes these adapters?

In both cases, it can be a nice finding for PSP gaming/emulation enthusiasts, because i'm pretty sure the UMD disc format isn't used elsewhere apart for the Sony PSP.

Best regards and thanks by advance.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2022-03-19-12h56m05s251.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	86131   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2022-03-19-12h56m14s770.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	86132  

UMD is a proprietary format that's only used by Sony AFAIK. They never developed a UMD writer, so that machine must be just a CD/UMD player.

My guess is that it's a Sony device.

In the movie, could you actually see a cavity where the UMD case fits into in the player? They could have used a regular DVD player and pretended it accepted UMDs.

Hi @OHForums,

As you say, yes, there is some sort of cavity to house the UMD (see pictures).

Also, i have an other screen cap where the front of the device can be seen. Maybe it can help for the identification.

I asked this in a PC hardware forum I use. No one has ever heard of it. It could easy be a case of movie magic. They just used the UMD disk as a prop and it was never played. You could try in the hardware forum of VideoHelp.com.