Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Last movie watched...

Baron Munchausen (1961) -

it's a little far-fetched
I watched that in what was probably about 1990. I don't remember it that well but I think I found it a bit disappointing.

You should have a look at my favourite film if you haven't seen it .

You should have a look at my favourite film if you haven't seen it .
I've always been curious about that. Are you really into the Baron Munchausen story or is it just a coincidence that those are your favourites?

Pretty dumb question since i figure the latter is almost impossible but...i want it to be haha.

I've always been curious about that. Are you really into the Baron Munchausen story or is it just a coincidence that those are your favourites?

Pretty dumb question since i figure the latter is almost impossible but...i want it to be haha.
I saw The Adventures of Baron Munchausen at the cinema in 1988 and it made a massive impression on me. Several years later – perhaps around 1996 – I saw Münchhausen on TV and I think it appealed to me even more. Oddly enough they both use a flashback style for the narrative but I preferred the older film's approach.

Emily Mortimer looks good there – I like her outfit.

The thing I'd find difficult is getting Black Books out of my head .
I do too. I forgot to mention that the film's time period was 1959.

~Doc

I do too. I forgot to mention that the film's time period was 1959.

~Doc
She threw me a curved ball there, I quite fancied her .

The Life of Emile Zola (1937)

This Oscar winner for best picture is a biopic, and like most biopics I believe some liberties were taken. I don't care about that. It's fine technically and has a good story and solid acting. I just thought it was a bit drab.

Such a goooood movie! I loved this, it hit me right in the feels. Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson didn't really have to do much in this film, nor did they need to. The story itself and the characters involved made this movie enjoyable on its own.

Finally watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Though it was visually great, entertaining and have decent performances still it doesn't match the level of Jurassic Park or Even Jurassic World (2015). But I enjoyed it. My Rating 7/10

Chimera (1991 TV Miniseries), rewatch – 5.5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
At the time this was incredibly scary and disturbing. In some ways it still is (especially with regard to the scientists' total absence of ethics) but I was surprised to find myself thinking it was so poorly made. At times I felt I could have been watching a bad children's drama. It was all the more surprising to discover that the same director was responsible for the BBC's classic Ghost Stories for Christmas series, which were fantastic. However, the scenes of horror do compare favourably with those dramas.

None of this is any reflection on the actors although some of the humour is quite detrimental to the themes involved. I'd completely forgotten that John Lynch played the main character and he's really good. Sebastian Shaw's small role shows what a fantastic actor he was. Douglas Mann as the creature is also excellent and the prosthetics still look good today, but it was still interesting listening to writer Stephen Gallagher's comments about the potential look of the creature on the DVD extras, and that is a very welcome and informative interview.

I also noticed that my recollection of a key scene was very different. I thought that when the children approach the house at the end of episode 2 we had seen the lower part of the creature's face come past the door. Not so: he just stands there, only revealing his arm and upper body. So I'd amplified the horror in my adolescent mind, and re-edited the scene in my memory . I wasn't sure actually whether the young boy's voice had been dubbed with that awful technique of an adult impersonating a child but it did sound that way.

It depends what difficulty you gathered from it. Eastwood fails to tackle any systematic causes of crime in minority neighborhoods, ya know like poverty and the war on drugs. He seems to think racism is fine because white people also do it to each other (ya pollack, ya mick). The scariest thing about it is the film portraying a racist old man as a hero for not gunning down his neighbors. It gets to play the pacifist by passing the violence off on the state, the police who will return to the neighborhood and arrest everyone.

I'd say the most applicable lesson from Gran Tarino about the US is that white people are extremely good at rationalizing and downplaying bigotry. Also, old, white conservative men all have power fantasies about inflicting vigilante "justice" on colored people.
Well, I liked it. Thin in parts but hey-ho. Its a view thing.

Hardcore

George C. Scott is great in this movie as usual.
I got this from the video-store/garage because my dad loves George C. i was 11. Watching later this film is one of Schraders best moments.

Miasto 44 [City 44 aka Warsaw 44] (Jan Komasa, 2014)

Not your routine WW II drama that's for sure

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

White Boy Rick (2018)

Best Dazed and Confused reunion movie I've seen.

Dodge City (1939)

-

Directed by Michael Curtiz, I watched this because it's on the top 100 westerns list. It's pretty standard; good guy vs bad guys, good guy tries to clean up town, good guy goes for the girl. It's also probably about average except for a great cast led by the very charismatic Errol Flynn and the breathtaking Olivia de Havilland. It's hard to go wrong with them.

Mean Streets (1973)

The improvisation. Are you Charlie or Johnny? Sheer brilliance from Scorsese. His Catholic mind brings his ideas to the fore. This was faultless given the budget. 10/10

One of only 3 surviving Two Strip Technicolor Process 3 films. It was thought lost for good, until a color negative print was found in Jack Warner's safe after he died in 1978. If that isn't enough reason to watch it, it's directed by Michael Curtiz. It features Lionel Atwill as the mad wax sculptor and Glenda Farrell as the brassy, fast talking news reporter who discovers corpses are going missing and wax figures are being made that look suspiciously life like. Fay Wray is her best friend, who's best known as the blonde that King Kong had a crush.

Because this is Two Strip Technicolor the colors are strangely pastel yet effective at making the world of the wax museum all the more creepy. But this isn't a straight horror film, it' also one part mystery with some fun one liners thrown in. Give it a watch for Halloween if you dare

Rumblefish

Been about 15 years since I saw this last but actually I found I connected with it better this time around, the last really strong film Coppola released for me. I'd say its rep for being overly serious is perhaps overstated as well, I mean yeah it has a lot of the trappings of an art film generally I think the atmosphere is more playful(helped by Copelands atypical score) within those bounds, very strong cast with Rourke at his 80's best and I don't think Matt DIllion has ever been as good as he is here.

9/10