Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)

Spies, Murder Mysteries, Cigars, Smoking Jackets, Basil Rathbone, Scotland Yard, & tricky undertaking to bring the 1930s back set to view. Have some "cramming" to do.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Moonlight Serenade

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basil Rathbone.gif
Views:	85
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	47955  

Pretty disappointed with this one...I fell asleep in the first 40 minutes. Tried again today, got over the 1 hour mark and just had to end it. I felt like this movie was all about "wait for the really loud sound" as opposed to creating a real sense of fear like other films do so well with their desolate and neglected environment (28 Days Later, The Book of Eli...etc).

At the end of the day people getting taken/killed by rarely seen monsters just fails to thrill me...So its no surprise this tanked for me in the end.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Movie 43 (Elizabeth Banks, Steven Brill, Steve Carr, Rusty Cundieff, James Duffy, Griffin Dunne, Peter Farrelly, Patrik Forsberg, Will Graham, James Gunn, Brett Ratner, Jonathan van Tulleken & Bob Odenkirk, 2013)

Hilary Hairy-arse this most certainly ain't - damn near asked for my money back even though I watched it for free

I haven't seen Movie 43, but I've read reviews that called it the worst movie ever made.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A Day at the Races (1937)

-

My fifth Marx Brothers movie, and I still like the first one I saw (Horse Feathers) the best. This was long for one of their movies at almost 2 hours, but it was consistently entertaining. There were a couple of good musical numbers to go along with the humor.

I think A Day at the Races was the first Marx Brothers movie that I ever saw, (many, many years ago), and it's still one of my favorite Marx Brothers movies.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I think he is an underrated actor, but at the same time I also feel that he restricts himself in his acting roles. I feel like the "Hawkening" is real as his recent output has been on a higher level.

I think he probably stopped getting roles. He wanted to keep working and was forced into the straight to Redbox market. He's always been a winner in my book.

Kuro (2017) (Dir. Tujiko Noriko, Joji Koyama)

Malickesque in its poetic visuals and constant narration, Kuro doesn't use its monologue to set the tone but to drive a haunting allegory forward while the camera documents the literal happenings. From what I gather, Romi's story is about coping with her partner's vegetative state by admitting its totality and allowing herself to live with agency again. Kuro, shut up and forgotten like Kafka's bug, represents the dissonance she sustains herself with regarding his absence. Fittingly, the story concludes with Kuro being put into the earth followed by Romi capturing images of her former lover on the roof akin to the photography of the plants, finally at peace with his role as something to be tended to without want for reciprocation.

I watched Gran Torino once again yesterday. It remainded to myself, when I saw it for the first time I thought US are quite difficult country to live. What would you say about picture of US in this movie?
It depends what difficulty you gathered from it. Eastwood fails to tackle any systematic causes of crime in minority neighborhoods, ya know like poverty and the war on drugs. He seems to think racism is fine because white people also do it to each other (ya pollack, ya mick). The scariest thing about it is the film portraying a racist old man as a hero for not gunning down his neighbors. It gets to play the pacifist by passing the violence off on the state, the police who will return to the neighborhood and arrest everyone.

I'd say the most applicable lesson from Gran Tarino about the US is that white people are extremely good at rationalizing and downplaying bigotry. Also, old, white conservative men all have power fantasies about inflicting vigilante "justice" on colored people.

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory -

hot take: this is about on par with the original as far as I'm concerned
I like it more. It doesn't pretend be a real movie. Hilarious how OP Steven Seagal is in that final showdown.

Welcome to the human race...
I like it more. It doesn't pretend be a real movie. Hilarious how OP Steven Seagal is in that final showdown.
That's a good way of putting it. I think I never really liked the first one because enough people led me to believe it was good (we even held a Top Action Movies countdown on here a while back and it made the list over literally every single Jackie Chan movie) yet I didn't think there was anything particularly good about the action (the main highlights are Busey and Jones hamming it up) and Seagal himself is such a black hole when it comes to screen presence that it's hard to get invested in his struggle and success. That's why the sequel benefits from low expectations (and maybe a little ironic hate-watching) in addition to just not giving anywhere near as much of a damn.

Last movie watched...

Irma Vep -

Are these female-led remakes getting out of hand?

That's a good way of putting it. I think I never really liked the first one because enough people led me to believe it was good (we even held a Top Action Movies countdown on here a while back and it made the list over literally every single Jackie Chan movie) yet I didn't think there was anything particularly good about the action (the main highlights are Busey and Jones hamming it up) and Seagal himself is such a black hole when it comes to screen presence that it's hard to get invested in his struggle and success. That's why the sequel benefits from low expectations (and maybe a little ironic hate-watching) in addition to just not giving anywhere near as much of a damn.
I definitely think irony is required to appreciate Seagal's work, but not necessarily hate. He's obviously a terrible person based on all kinds of things outside of his acting, but in film its just fascinating to watch somebody whose ego is so clearly all consuming and ever present in the most ridiculous way. He switches cultures picture to picture, he's increasingly unathletic, you can tell he demands his characters be up to certain standard of cool. He's so damn insecure. It's a huge exercise in over compensation that manifests in some absolutely hilarious material. It's beautiful.

Unregistered User

Ida (2013)

I cant recall seeing a movie like this, where almost every single shot is so stunning. I noted a critic described the ending as one of the most satisfying they had ever seen, I think I could describe the whole movie like this, just so satisfying.

I cant say this is one of my favourite films I've ever seen but I cant find a fault in it.

+

I definitely think irony is required to appreciate Seagal's work, but not necessarily hate. He's obviously a terrible person based on all kinds of things outside of his acting, but in film its just fascinating to watch somebody whose ego is so clearly all consuming and ever present in the most ridiculous way. He switches cultures picture to picture, he's increasingly unathletic, you can tell he demands his characters be up to certain standard of cool. He's so damn insecure. It's a huge exercise in over compensation that manifests in some absolutely hilarious material. It's beautiful.
Yeah, it's just a shame that, even when I do keep that particular fascination in mind when watching one of his movies, it never truly feels like it's enough to make the experience worthwhile (which is definitely not the case with someone like, say, Van Damme). I did watch this one video recently that actually tried to analyse the appeal of Seagal as both actor and action star and...well, it's definitely worth a look.

Last movie watched...

Baron Munchausen (1961) -

it's a little far-fetched

I actually like how OP Seagal is in majority of his films. It's really refreshing change to the norm. Also the fight scenes in old Seagal films are among the best in any martial arts movies (sadly he's an old fat man now and all the fights in newer films are crap with really fast cuts and body doubles).

It's weird how, like that video states, he's shown to be an "everyman" compared to the likes of musclebound stars like Schwarzenegger or Stallone yet he's still just as absurdly overpowered when you compare him to other everyman action performances like Bruce Willis in Die Hard (which is part of why Under Siege doesn't work for me because he never actually seems troubled by the situation). Also, I don't think his fighting is particularly impressive - maybe it's more realistic in that he's not doing kicks like Van Damme would but I just think "Seagal fighting" and just imagine him flailing his hands around like a marionette.

The Bookshop (2017)
Emily Mortimer, Bill Nighy, Patricia Clarkson. Written/directed by Isabel Coixet.

For those of you who enjoy first rate acting and human interaction, move to watch The Bookshop right away. This is one of those films that the English do so well. There's no shoot-em-ups, deviant sex, or razzmatazz. Just a strong story with excellent craftsmanship.

I'm not privy to the mechanics of acting, but I know superb performances when I see them. Emily Mortimer holds the screen much like Audrey Hepburn used to. And her scenes most especially with Bill Nighy will probably be studied in acting classes. One can see and feel every thought, every emotion from the characters.

Patricia Clarkson plays a cold Brit witchy type so well that I hadn't recalled that she is from New Orleans. Good work also by Honor Kneafsey, who played Mortimer's young assistant.

It's a simple story with an excellent narrative. I would have ended it differently, but the resolution to Mortimer's struggle to keep open the bookshop was satisfying enough.

Doc's rating: 8/10

“No deviant sex”? Bummer, gonna delete it from my Netflix Q ASAP.

Emily Mortimer looks good there – I like her outfit.

The thing I'd find difficult is getting Black Books out of my head .