Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

Psycho by Robert Bloch. A very quick read, but it's hard to imagine such a good movie came out of these pages. It's strange because, uncharacteristically of Hitchcock, the film follows the book pretty close, but the very superficial characters and average writing definitely wind it down. The only plus is seeing Norman's dialogs with her mother, which are obviously less worked on in the film, but even then it feels like a pure cliché of what a mentally ill person would think at the time.

I was hoping it would be as groundbreaking as the film but even taken on its own it's certainly not great literature. But it is thankfully short and easy to read.

Excellent book.

Not a bad book by any means, but very ordinary considering Perrotta wrote The Leftovers.

Rabbit Run (John Updike)
+

Pretty much what i said in the other thread about it, really well written but i can't stand Rabbit in a i don't want to read about this guy way. Won't be reading any more of this series but i'm interested in more from Updike.

The Crying of Lot 39 (Thomas Pynchon)

My first Pynchon book. Difficult to rate as i really didn't like his writing at first but it grew on me. It was really short so i'd say a good start and i'm up for trying more from him now i'm used to his writing.

Ghost Story (Peter Straub)
-

This was about as good as a ghost story novel can be for me in 2017. Think short stories work much better now as i inevitably got bored in places since there's only so much originality you can bring to a ghost story.

Reading Blood Meridian right now, about halfway through and loving it; only read The Road by McCarthy which was a mixed bag for me.

Also after watching The Gospel According To St. Matthew the other day i bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Historicity.../dp/1909697494

That's a Christ Myth Theory book apparently one of the most important as the author is supposed to be influential in that field, after i'm done with it i'm planning on reading one from the opposite side: someone who believes the Historical Jesus existed not necessarily the divine one. For the record even though i'm no longer religious i do lean towards a Historical Jesus existing, i just want to see the full picture as i'm interested in it right now.

I don't know what the point would be to rate it. For me to read it, I would really have to like it.
Although topic driven, if I don't like the writing style, I'll drop it in a flash, but if I like it, then I will read near everything the author ever wrote.
Such is the case of James Lee Burke and his book I am reading now:

I'm in the middle of reading Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories and really enjoying it. It's an anthology of tales chosen by Dahl but not including his own work. As you'd expect he really knows his stuff .

These are the stories I've read so far, with ratings:

W. S. by L. P. Hartley — 5/10
Harry by Rosemary Timperley — 8/10
The Corner Shop by Cynthia Asquith — 6/10
In the Tube by E. F. Benson — 6/10
Christmas Meeting by Rosemary Timperley — 5/10
Elias and the Draug by Jonas Lie — 6/10

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I'm in the middle of reading Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories and really enjoying it. It's an anthology of tales chosen by Dahl but not including his own work. As you'd expect he really knows his stuff .
Have You read some Dahl's books.? I really enjoyed them

Have You read some Dahl's books.? I really enjoyed them
Oh yeah, when I was growing up .

I have been adult already and I felt in love with his stories
Actually the film and TV adaptations are probably fresher in my mind now. I've just been thinking about Rik Mayall doing George's Marvellous Medicine – bizarrely controversial at the time – as well as the more obscure film of Danny, the Champion of the World.