Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

1984 by George Orwell

After seeing multiple quotes from this flying around quite recently I decided to give it a read. It does lack character development and story, which I don't usually like, but then again it's all about the world-building so it doesn't matter that much. It may exaggerate its world beyond plausibility, but it draws a disturbingly accurate picture of the mindset that's being sold today under the moniker of liberalism; facts are dismissed on political reasons; words are redefined until they lose their meaning, reclaimed by one group or another, and invented to split us into (imaginary) enemies; truth, news, and science become political constructs. This should be mandatory reading in schools, but I'm afraid it's one of the first to get tossed into a pyre.

4/5

1984 by George Orwell

It does lack character development and story, which I don't usually like, but then again it's all about the world-building so it doesn't matter that much.
Huh? Have we read the same book?

This should be mandatory reading in schools, but I'm afraid it's one of the first to get tossed into a pyre.
I believe in American schools it’s required reading.

Huh? Have we read the same book?
I believe in American schools it’s required reading.
I think at one time the novel 1984 was required reading. I'm not so sure about it today? But today the message of 1984 has been taken to heart and the first steps have been taken towards 'erasing' history.

a good read

Terrific read. The trials & tribulations of a very young Dominican single mother as she attempts to navigate various assistance agencies in NYC. This woman managed to finish an associate’s degree at the same time which, if you read the book, you can hardly imagine how she managed to do this.

In the middle of rereading LotR. Just finished the first half of The Two Towers. It's been a long time since I've reread them and I've been enjoying rediscovering details I forgot.

The Giver, by Lois Lowry, I rated 5/5 stars.

The Adventure Starts Here!
1984 by George Orwell

After seeing multiple quotes from this flying around quite recently I decided to give it a read. It does lack character development and story, which I don't usually like, but then again it's all about the world-building so it doesn't matter that much. It may exaggerate its world beyond plausibility, but it draws a disturbingly accurate picture of the mindset that's being sold today under the moniker of liberalism; facts are dismissed on political reasons; words are redefined until they lose their meaning, reclaimed by one group or another, and invented to split us into (imaginary) enemies; truth, news, and science become political constructs. This should be mandatory reading in schools, but I'm afraid it's one of the first to get tossed into a pyre.

4/5
It USED to be required reading in the schools. You know, way back when old-me was in school.

I remember after getting pregnant with our Yoda (I'm his mommy) back in 1983... A school friend was also pregnant then, and we both were a little concerned about having our babies during THAT FATEFUL YEAR, 1984.

Next up for you, if you haven't read it yet: Animal Farm.

The Adventure Starts Here!

I should be finishing this book tonight. It's a lovely character-driven book by the writer of The Historian. I had no clue what to expect except that I enjoyed her writing in The Historian.

I find myself really caring about all of these characters (there are two timelines at work here). Am eager to find how she chooses to wrap up all their stories, and how they intertwine. If you enjoy the art world and wonder how painters think (not just famous ones but those who paint without fame), you'll love this book.

Next up for you, if you haven't read it yet: Animal Farm.
Ha. He thought 1984 “lacked character development & story” so what’s he gonna make of Animal Farm?

Im more of an autobiography kind of person, would highly reccomend David Goggins - You Cant Hurt Me. Really inspiring. Also recently finished Living With A Seal. Both epic books and available on audible

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.

I read quite a few Goosebumps books around Halloween time, this was a favorite of mine as a kid, so I decided to reread it, pretty good.
7/10

Surprised I’d never read this book before though I had heard of it.

Not for the faint of heart.

Plucking up my courage to see the movie now. Visuality is always more scary than words IMO.

William Gibson: Virtual Light - 7/10
300 page cyberpunk yarn that's not as heavy on Gibson's well-known tropes. Surprisingly simple and entertaining, but I kind of like the convoluted nature of most cyberpunk plots. Also, a shout-out to Jaron Lanier's early 90s eyephones.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
What is this one about? It got my attention because the cover is very close to a shot I have in mind for a script I've yet to write

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear