The Most Romantic Movie of All Time

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Call Me By Your Name
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked

I agree about Casablanca. One of my all time favorite romance movies is An Affair to Remember (1957). Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr have some real chemistry.

My favorite is Natural Born Killers. I've always felt that it's a bunch of stuff wrapped around a love story.

A little more traditional The Bridges of Madison County is one of the more recent romance movies I've liked.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It Happened One Night (1934)
The Clock (1945)
The Enchanted Cottage (1945)
Roman Holiday (1953)
Brigadoon (1954)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Miracle in the Rain (1956)
An Affair to Remember (1957)
Marjorie Morningstar (1958)
Hanover Street (1979)
Somewhere in Time (1980)
Xanadu (1980)
Finnegan Begin Again (TV Movie 1985)
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Pure Country (1992)
The American President (1995)
Sabrina (1995)
While You Were Sleeping (1995)
You've Got Mail (1998)
Message in a Bottle (1999)
Return to Me (2000)
Kate and Leopold (2001)
Serendipity (2001)
The Notebook (2004)
The Lake House (2006)
P.S. I Love You (2007)
Nights in Rodanthe (2008)
The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)
Dear John (2010)
The Adjustment Bureau (2011)
Love Is All You Need (2012)
Upside Down (2012)
The Vow (2012)
The Words (2012)
In Your Eyes (2014)
The Longest Ride (2015)

I agree. Great romance and chemistry. But I was so bummed out by Yuri's fatal heart attack before he got to Lara, that I don't think I've ever watched it again. And that was in 1965! I don't like tear jerkers. But I don't carry a grudge...

Love Story
Carol
Lust, Caution
Moulin Rouge

These are my favourite romantic movies and which I love to rewatch, whenever I get the chance.

A adaptation of sorts of O Henry's short story The Last Leaf.

Likeable, quirky characters; excellent OST and the wet, rainy New Jersey. I loved every bit of this film.

There is something about this movie that always leaves a big smile on my face.

Imagine something hideous unfolding on the screen and you are smiling and thinking, 'Wow that's amazing and sweet.' That is the power of this well made flick about how far can you go for love.

A Walk to Remember

Casablanca
An Affair to Remember
City Lights
The Adventures of Robin Hood

I absolutely LOVE An Affair to Remember and I have to confess that I have never watched Casablanca

Truly, Madly, Deeply
Rebecca
Notorious
Casablanca
Say Anything
The Bridges of Madison County
Moonstruck
Roxanne
Benny and Joon
Crossing Delancy
Green Card
The Princess Bride
Untamed Heart .............

I need these next.

Amélie
Modern Romance
Harold and Maude
Wings of Desire
Nice to see some love for Roxanne...LOVE that movie, hands down, my favorite Steve Martin performance

The Clock (1945)
Roman Holiday (1953)
Somewhere in Time (1980)
The American President (1995)
Sabrina (1995)
Return to Me (2000)
I came in here to specifically mention The Clock but noticed your list. It's a great list but these I especially agree with.

I'd also like to include For the Love of the Game (1999) in case no one's mentioned it yet.

If I'm going to put up with movies about romance, it has to be in a large context, where the term Star Crossed Lovers comes to mind. Having a crush on the cute guy across the hall and making waffles for breakfast just doesn't do it. To that end, for me, my choices in this genre, which is NOT a favorite would be -

Dr Zhivago - Star crossed lovers, snow and sex, the vast plains of Russia and the spurned ex-lover, revolutionary Strelnikov, one of the more toxic former lovers in movie history, who turns his unhappiness into Bolshevik zealotry. Zhivago is good looking, noble, non-political and looks good in a horse drawn sleigh with a big fur hat. Lara has a poem and their affair has a musical leitmotiv. Strelnikov not only didn't get Lara, but ends up committing suicide before he was purged.

Casablanca - Another great conflict, star-crossed lovers in the middle of it, Nazis, Sam playing As Time Goes By, and then there's Paris. In this case, the odd-man-out is the idealistic Victor Lazlo, the direct opposite of Strelnikov, fighting resistance against the Nazis. Rick, however, also has his moment fighting Nazis, but, being noble, sends Ilsa off with Lazlo. Thankfully we never hear what became of Rick or Ilsa. We leave all that in Casablanca.

Thankfully, there never was a sequel to either of these romantic epics.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Slumdog Millionaire out of all that I have seen I guess.