23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

@Citizen Rules

Did my nomination come as a surprise?

You made a comment after I watched Maze that I liked IRA films

@Citizen Rules

Did my nomination come as a surprise?

You made a comment after I watched Maze that I liked IRA films
I was for sure thinking you'd pick a film about the IRA as you've been watching some of them. I think you might have recommend Hunger to me and I watched it some years ago. It seems somewhat familiar anyway, I guess I'll find out when I watch it.

The Reflecting Skin
Set in the 1950s so that's a plus for me, I really want to like this, but being tagged horror makes me wonder. I have my fingers crossed.
If it's any consolation, it was one of the films I struggled to include in my Horror Countdown vote. It's not horror in the traditional sense. Considering you liked Tideland, there's a decent chance you'll like this one too.

I was for sure thinking you'd pick a film about the IRA as you've been watching some of them. I think you might have recommend Hunger to me and I watched it some years ago. It seems somewhat familiar anyway, I guess I'll find out when I watch it.
I was thinking today that because @pahaK has unique taste.. my next HOF I join, I would find something he may like.. he's a very picky man and unique taste.

That means my other two choices would be pushed back.. I think you would enjoy those as well.

If it's any consolation, it was one of the films I struggled to include in my Horror Countdown vote. It's not horror in the traditional sense. Considering you liked Tideland, there's a decent chance you'll like this one too.
Cool enough.

When you said in the Fantasy HoF that Tideland gave you an idea for a 23rd HoF nom, I thought it might be this:The Zero Theorem (2013)

Nominated By: jiraffejustin

The Mummy
(Al-mummia)
Chadi Abdel Salam, 1969
102 minutes, IMDb

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Any film with Banderas is sexy... He's a nice-looking man.
I'm straight and I think he's hot as hell

Let the night air cool you off

The Mummy
(Al-mummia)
Chadi Abdel Salam, 1969
102 minutes, IMDb

My nomination. It's a great film with a unique atmosphere. It's set in the desert mountains of Egypt and involves an Egyptian tomb holding mummies. The music and the slow movement of the film work together to create a creepy atmosphere that's unlike any other film I've seen. It's a film with a whole lot of brooding. The main character broods. The wind broods. The music broods. It's broody as hell. With the film being set in the year before the British occupation of Egypt, I'm sure there are some pretty heavy cultural things that I'm just not familiar with enough to understand completely. I can feel something kinda heavy there though, but it could be that broody mood the film carries. It's set a year before a big change in the country, and in the film the people of the village undergo a major change in their way of life due to the events that take place in the film, which are apparently based on a true story. I've seen a handful of Egyptian films now, and this one is my favorite.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Christiane F.

One of the biggest strengths of this movie is the cast. They are all unknown non-professional actors, most of whom have done nothing else since. Without "stars", the authenticity smacks you across the head as you forget you are watching a movie. Because of the structure, it doesn't even seem like a documentary, but rather it seems as if you are watching a piece of somebody's life as it happens. Everyone in the cast is so natural and perfect. Even people who would normally be called extras, they are just people that happen to be caught on film. There's a scene late in the movie when the camera catches the faces of many down on their luck lost souls. These are real people who don't know they're in a film and the effect is bone crushing. The only known name in the movie is David Bowie. He doesn't act, but he contributes to the soundtrack and there's a scene that features one of his performances. The movie is filmed and set in Berlin, but his performance was in New York. They spliced that performance with the crowd at an AC/DC concert in Berlin to make it look like the same concert. They used David Bowie to market the film in America and that is a damn shame.

It is a heartbreaking true story that's all the more heartbreaking because of how many true stories it actually is. It didn't make me feel like I felt when watching other upsetting but fictional stories that I've nominated in the past. My wife and I lost one of the most important people in our lives 13 years ago to addiction. This is a story that really hurts me. When Christiane first decided she want to try "H", my reaction was please no. From that point on it's one unbearably painful scene right after another. There have been many good to great films about addiction but this one blows them all away. It's tough to watch but it needs to be seen. One of the most upsetting things about this movie is the fact that it's 39 years old and nothing has changed. We have to do something to help these poor people and I'm in tears writing this.

pretty powerful review. It's got me choked up.
Reading it, it reminded me of another of your noms set in South America with the pre-teens in a youth detention compound, but for the life of me I cannot find it or remember the name of it.

The trick is not minding
Sign-ups are still open.
I know....I’m debating. Reason why I opted out is because work has me busy, and it has become difficult to finish these in a timely manner lately.
But I may instead just watch a few of these from the sidelines.

The Mummy
(Al-mummia)
Chadi Abdel Salam, 1969
102 minutes, IMDb

My nomination. It's a great film with a unique atmosphere. It's set in the desert mountains of Egypt and involves an Egyptian tomb holding mummies. The music and the slow movement of the film work together to create a creepy atmosphere that's unlike any other film I've seen. It's a film with a whole lot of brooding. The main character broods. The wind broods. The music broods. It's broody as hell. With the film being set in the year before the British occupation of Egypt, I'm sure there are some pretty heavy cultural things that I'm just not familiar with enough to understand completely. I can feel something kinda heavy there though, but it could be that broody mood the film carries. It's set a year before a big change in the country, and in the film the people of the village undergo a major change in their way of life due to the events that take place in the film, which are apparently based on a true story. I've seen a handful of Egyptian films now, and this one is my favorite.
I love anything with mummification and mummies except the crappy Tom Cruise movie.

pretty powerful review. It's got me choked up.
Reading it, it reminded me of another of your noms set in South America with the pre-teens in a youth detention compound, but for the life of me I cannot find it or remember the name of it.
You're thinking of Pixote and you are comparing them for a good reason. It's similar as far as having a cast of unknowns and the authenticity. This movie is more emotionally powerful and better.