23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.) (Uli Edel, 1981)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/08/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 23rd MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by cricket
Rewatch: No

Christiane F is the tale of a young life almost wasted, thrown away to drugs and prostitution on Berlin's streets. It's a premise that is not all unique, but it is shockingly and heartbreakingly authentic.

The film glamorizes nothing. It also never stands in judgement of its characters and never comes across as preachy. It feels very raw and very real and it owes much of this credibility to the two lead actors, both of whom turn in remarkably convincing performances - especially considering that they were only teenagers when the film was released.

It's an impressive film and one I may well watch again. Sadly, with a HOF that is populated by so many strong contenders I don't think it's likely to rank very high in the voting. Still, I'm very glad to have been introduced to it.

Glad you thought well of it. I thought you would, and I think MG and pahak will. Everyone else, I'm not sure.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Seen 7 out of 12, this has to be the General HoF with most rewatches I was ever in.

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo: Never even heard of it, but historically I love cricket's noms so I'm looking forward!

The Fisher King: Never heard of it.

Gangs of New York: This was a huge favourite of mine when I was a kid and I was looking for a reason to rewatch it so I picked it. The fact that cricket had never seen it also helped the choice because I was actually trying to decide between this and another film nominated here.

The Great Mouse Detective: I think I've read the book of this story when I was a kid and might have watched the film but remember absolutely nothing about it, so this counts as a new watch.

Hunger: Also never heard of it.

Jojo Rabbit: Watched it quite recently, kind of liked it, won't have to rewatch.

Banshun: I watched this one for a HoF, I think, and really didn't like it. But I'm more mature now so I'll gladly give it another chance.

Le Samouraļ: Amazing film! I am pretty sure it made my list to the 60s Countdown.

The Reflecting Skin: Never heard of it.

Schindler's List: A classic that I always found a tad overrated. It's still a very good movie though.

La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In): This was the film I almost picked instead of my own nom. Terrific film, easily Top 5 by Almodovar. The only reason for which I am not looking forward to rewatch it is that I watched this with my ex-gf so I'm not sure how I'll react to it now.

Stand By Me: One of those wholesome films! Great choice.

Seems like we're in to a hell of an HoF! Well done everybody.

Glad you thought well of it. I thought you would, and I think MG and pahak will. Everyone else, I'm not sure.
I told you I watched it with Marcos but its been over 5 years ago. I will rewatch it tho.

Seen 7 out of 12, this has to be the General HoF with most rewatches I was ever in.

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo: Never even heard of it, but historically I love cricket's noms so I'm looking forward!

The Fisher King: Never heard of it.

Gangs of New York: This was a huge favourite of mine when I was a kid and I was looking for a reason to rewatch it so I picked it. The fact that cricket had never seen it also helped the choice because I was actually trying to decide between this and another film nominated here.

The Great Mouse Detective: I think I've read the book of this story when I was a kid and might have watched the film but remember absolutely nothing about it, so this counts as a new watch.

Hunger: Also never heard of it.

Jojo Rabbit: Watched it quite recently, kind of liked it, won't have to rewatch.

Banshun: I watched this one for a HoF, I think, and really didn't like it. But I'm more mature now so I'll gladly give it another chance.

Le Samouraļ: Amazing film! I am pretty sure it made my list to the 60s Countdown.

The Reflecting Skin: Never heard of it.

Schindler's List: A classic that I always found a tad overrated. It's still a very good movie though.

La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In): This was the film I almost picked instead of my own nom. Terrific film, easily Top 5 by Almodovar. The only reason for which I am not looking forward to rewatch it is that I watched this with my ex-gf so I'm not sure how I'll react to it now.

Stand By Me: One of those wholesome films! Great choice.

Seems like we're in to a hell of an HoF! Well done everybody.
If you haven't seen mine, then I think you will enjoy it.

The one movie I know I won't be rewatching, as I saw it just in July...

Schindler's List (1993)

The "war" or "historical tragedy" film is probably rarely seen in an optimistic light; Come and See is maybe the most brutal film I've seen. Apocalypse Now and Platoon have nothing good to say about humanity. Dr. Strangelove and Paths of Glory criticize authority and morality in war.

In 99/100 of these cases, the darkness and pessimism is absolutely needed. War is indeed hell, and many many terrible tragedies have happened on this Earth. They deserve to be told, and told with respect and accuracy. Humanity can do such awful things...

But once in a while there comes a story that really does seem too good to be true. A tale of a shining beacon of light in a time of despair and darkness. An entirely accurate movie that may come across as more sentimental than more brutal and angry films. But that's just because we're surprised, that of all the rotten and despicable acts during the Holocaust and other tragedies, there was perhaps one act in there that forged forward and reminded us that it's not just in fairy tales; evil really sometimes can be conquered by good.

Schindler's List tells one such story. It is about the horrors of the Holocaust, and about a time in history we should never forget. But it's also about a man who redeemed himself in the midst of this evil, and risked his life and status to save hundreds of people. It is true that 1200 people is nothing compared to the millions of Jews that died. But asking the people who survived because of Schindler - their children, and their children - might make one realize that life is so fragile. It's not about the numbers or the percent. It's about each and every person who is living and breathing today due to Schindler's protection.

The film is over three hours, but it never feels slow or draggy. Instead, Spielberg takes advantage of his running time and not only shows ghetto and concentration camp life, but develops strong and believable characters - especially Schindler and Goeth. They were people in real life, and they feel like real people in this film.

The black and white was a fantastic idea; It's commonly said that black and white can help bring more realism than color might be able to. While I don't agree with that statement all the time, films like Raging Bull and Schindler's List prove this often very much true. AT times, we almost feel like we're watching old documentary footage of the Holocaust. Spielberg utilizes shaky camera in a way that's effective but not distracting. You are truly inside the world of this terrifying place.

While I am by no means the first one singing the praises of Schindler's List, it's also a story that doesn't - and can't - get old. To forget the events of what happened in the Holocaust, and the events that happened in this film, is to disrespect every person who died. There aren't words to describe; no film can really describe it. Again, I'm simply repeating words hundreds and thousands have said. But after watching Schindler's List, I am reminded again of the importance of remembering, the importance of caring, the importance of living with a purpose.

+

Christiane F.

One of the biggest strengths of this movie is the cast. They are all unknown non-professional actors, most of whom have done nothing else since. Without "stars", the authenticity smacks you across the head as you forget you are watching a movie. Because of the structure, it doesn't even seem like a documentary, but rather it seems as if you are watching a piece of somebody's life as it happens. Everyone in the cast is so natural and perfect. Even people who would normally be called extras, they are just people that happen to be caught on film. There's a scene late in the movie when the camera catches the faces of many down on their luck lost souls. These are real people who don't know they're in a film and the effect is bone crushing. The only known name in the movie is David Bowie. He doesn't act, but he contributes to the soundtrack and there's a scene that features one of his performances. The movie is filmed and set in Berlin, but his performance was in New York. They spliced that performance with the crowd at an AC/DC concert in Berlin to make it look like the same concert. They used David Bowie to market the film in America and that is a damn shame.

It is a heartbreaking true story that's all the more heartbreaking because of how many true stories it actually is. It didn't make me feel like I felt when watching other upsetting but fictional stories that I've nominated in the past. My wife and I lost one of the most important people in our lives 13 years ago to addiction. This is a story that really hurts me. When Christiane first decided she want to try "H", my reaction was please no. From that point on it's one unbearably painful scene right after another. There have been many good to great films about addiction but this one blows them all away. It's tough to watch but it needs to be seen. One of the most upsetting things about this movie is the fact that it's 39 years old and nothing has changed. We have to do something to help these poor people and I'm in tears writing this.

I just finished watching The Fisher King, but it's getting too late to really write anything about it tonight. I imagine I'll get something up tomorrow though.

I'm not going to blaze through this HoF like I did with the Fantasy one though. At least, that's what I'm telling myself right now. I guess we'll see what happens over the next two weeks haha.

The ones I've seen before:

Gangs of New York
I'm afraid I'll have to join the mob with torches and pitchforks. I remember thinking this was OK when I saw it in theaters but my rewatch attempt less than a year ago failed to finish. Unless something drastic has changed I'll need to watch this piece by piece.

Jojo Rabbit
This was quite OK. It's very hard to make a film like this in the current PC culture but it's not a bad attempt. I just wish it was more insensitive.

The Reflecting Skin
I've mentioned this one a few times. I have an old review too (that emphasizes the acting way too much). It's possibly the best debut film ever. Like Tideland it's a story of effed up childhood. Oh, and I think people have false expectations because the IMDb plot description mentions vampires.

Schindler's List
I haven't seen this since it was new and I don't actually remember much. It's Spielberg so it's bound to be technically solid but otherwise, his films don't always work for me. I'm slightly positive about it though.

Stand By Me
Another one I haven't seen in ages. I do remember liking this a lot. I guess you all know it's a type of film I usually like. I expect this to be good still.

The ones I have not seen before:

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.)
This one's been on my watchlist for quite a while. I just haven't felt the right moment to watch it yet. I have high expectations for this.

The Fisher King
For one reason or another, this has never interested me enough to actually watch it. I don't even really know what it's about.

The Great Mouse Detective
Sherlock Holmes as a mouse? I'm not usually a huge Disney movie fan but I'll try to keep an open mind.

Hunger
Hard to predict anything about this. The hunger strike doesn't sound too interesting a subject for a film so I hope there's more than that.

Banshun (Late Spring)
I've only seen one Ozu before but I expect this to be slow and mundane drama. I don't expect to like it very much.

Le Samouraļ
I don't know much about this but it sure looks potential.

La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In)
I've been interested in this since the Horror countdown. Prior to that, I didn't even know that Almodóvar had done a horror film.

The ones I've seen before:
Jojo Rabbit
This was quite OK. It's very hard to make a film like this in the current PC culture but it's not a bad attempt. I just wish it was more insensitive.

Uh, sorry? What do you mean by you wish it were more insensitive? Like you wanted to see Jojo killing Jews or something? Lol

Hunger
Hard to predict anything about this. The hunger strike doesn't sound too interesting a subject for a film so I hope there's more than that.
Ill treatment of Irish prisioners by English prison guards.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
enough fecal matter on walls and prisoner piss on floor during during "dirty" protest.

Uh, sorry? What do you mean by you wish it were more insensitive? Like you wanted to see Jojo killing Jews or something? Lol
I think there was some controversy around it about it being offensive, and I think cosmic even mentioned it. When I watched it I didn't feel that at all. I would have liked to have felt it though.

My thoughts (or lack of thoughts as I haven't seen many of these)

Gangs of New York
Satan be damned! I like this one! I have something in common with Daniel Day-Lewis's character too. No it's not the crazy glass eye. It's what makes Bill the Butcher think he's entitled...Nope, I don't think I'm entitled to anything but a cold beer after a hard days work...and yet me and the Butcher have this is common, maybe you guys can guess it?

Jojo Rabbit
Cool! I've wanted to watch this for awhile, so yeah! for the nomination. I've only seen one
Taika Waititi film before and loved it, so I have high hopes here.

The Reflecting Skin
Set in the 1950s so that's a plus for me, I really want to like this, but being tagged horror makes me wonder. I have my fingers crossed.

Schindler's List
I believe in this film as it shows Spielberg is capable of serious, gut wrenching film making.

Stand By Me
I've seen this a lot. Great film. I wish they made more like this.

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.)
Not sure about this one But glad that Cricket decided to join

The Fisher King
I've not seen it, but I'm thinking I will like it. It seems like an Ed nom, and that's a good thing!

The Great Mouse Detective
I've not heard of it, but I'm thinking this will be a nice easy watch.

Hunger
I think I might have seen this once. If it has a girl smuggling something into prison by stashing it, um, on her person, then I seen it and thought it was a powerful film.

Banshun (Late Spring)
Glad Siddon joined because I like and need to see more Ozu.

Le Samouraļ
Ah, so that's where the avatar came from. I forget who had this as an avatar but he use to join HoFs. I'm looking forward to this as I just watched another French 60s detective film, Alphaville.

This doesn't seem like a Miss Vicky nom, I though for sure she was going with Wolf of Wallstreet, but I'm glad this was nominated as it looks intriguing.

Banshun (Late Spring)
Glad Siddon joined because I like and need to see more Ozu.
That's ahwell's nom.

This doesn't seem like a Miss Vicky nom, I though for sure she was going with Wolf of Wallstreet, but I'm glad this was nominated as it looks intriguing.
I had actually been trying to decide between The Wolf of Wall Street and The Reader, but you picked Schindler's List so I decided that the HOF didn't need two depressing Holocaust movies and then neiba picked Gangs of New York and I didn't think the HOF needed two Leo/Scorsese movies so I had to make a third choice.

I know foreign horror doesn't scream "Miss Vicky!," but I think once you watch it it'll make more sense as being my nomination.

I know foreign horror doesn't scream "Miss Vicky!," but I think once you watch it it'll make more sense as being my nomination.
It is a "what the f*ck!" film..I don't know you that well but I would never guess you picked it.

Once you did suggest a film to me.. and I would say its in my top 50 films... I enjoyed it very much so and recommended it to many people outside the forum.