Movie Forums Most Recommended Films Project: Nominations

Tools    

So what do you actually want from us in terms of nominations? top 5? top 10? top 25?

Honestly I think you'd be better off having this thread as a discussion on what form this is going to take then start another thread with a very clear opening post.

It seems like you idea is to really focus in a a small number of personal favourites both in noms and voting? I certainly like that idea relative to say having everyone do a top 50-100 or whatever as IMHO when you go that route results become more generic, big name films end up at the top not because there absolute favourites but because there getting a mention on everyones list.

To me anyway someone personal favourite films are always more interesting to hear that some attempt to create some objective judgement of cinema as a whole.
So first this is just something I thought would be fun, not my attempt at an objective list. I will post the complete revised rules as soon as I have time, and if there are any explanations needed I will do that. Once everyone is okay with it, I will start a new thread, pasting everyone’s noms so far. My focus is actually the opposite of what you said, I want it to include as many films as possible

The rules I have right now, updated:

1. Every day, you may nominate 10 films that you think are great or you like. Once a film is nominated, it is on the list and can't be nominated again.

The following stuff is NOT being initiated right now.

2. Once we reach 500 films, Phase 2 (voting) will begin. However: Nominating can continue through this phase as well, so there should be no limit to the amount of films.

I am brainstorming for what Phase 2 would be. Here's what I have come up with-
I will split the list into 5 chunks of 100 films, alphabetically. People can vote only ONCE.
You can give
5 films one point
4 films 2 points
3 films 3 points
2 films 4 points
5 films 1 point.

Tiers that way will slowly be created. Once we have gone through each list, there will be four or five tiers of films. Then we'll jump between tiers, splitting them as many times as needed so we can slowly get many more tiers created. Remember, this won't be starting for a while, so this is just one idea of probably many.

This thread will stay until enough people understand the rules, then I'll start a new one. So feel free to keep posting nominations once a day, we are up to 35 as of these 10 I am nominating:

Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Toy Story 3 (2010)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
The 400 Blows (1959)
Ratatouille (2007)
The King of Comedy (1982)
Duck Soup (1933)
Modern Times (1935)
The Incredibles (2004)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

Ugetsu (1953)
A Man Escaped (1956)
Marketa Lazarova (1967)
Sorcerer (1977)
Stalker (1979)
Rumble Fish (1983)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
Millers Crossing (1990)
Yi Yi (2000)
Blue is the Warmest Colour(2013)

Any more nominations? We're at 64 now, looking to get to 500. Remember, this can't be skewed in any way by members, because no film is ineligible. Just vote! What movies are your favorite?