TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

For the last week or so i have been wandering around making my top 10, then my top 20, 50 and now top 100 movies. I think its really hard to do a top 100 because there is so many movies around that deserves a mention.

Im no critic, so the movies that have been chosen is those who had an impact on me one time or another. There is probably a lot that i have forgotten or omitted but thats the way it is.

Hopefully you will get something out of this.

On with the show!

100. Taxi Driver (1976) by Martin Scorsese

One of Scorseses best pictures, written by Paul Schrader, was undeniably one of my absolute favorite movies growing up as a teenager. It still has a an effect one me. This is probably one of the more well known movies that will appear on this list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Glorious! I hope Werckmeister Harmonies is at least second.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

99. The Night of the Hunter (1955) by Charles Laughton

The Night of the Hunter has a haunting imagery with connotations from expressionism. I saw it for the first time this year at one of our movie club nights and it immediatly entered my top 20 horror movies.

98. Possession (1981) by Andrzej Żuławski

Another horror movie, this time by Polish director Andrzej Żuławski. Its a movie about a disintegrating marriage which turns into a surrealist nightmare. Highly recommended!

The Night of the Hunter is a film I like but not as much as you and some others, whilst certain elements are superb I don't think it works as well as a horror due to some of the childish aspects of it. Taxi Driver on the other hand is an absolute favourite of mine and was in my last top ten, I have seen it many times now and it is a great film.

Good start, looking forward to a lot of interesting films showing up

Edit: Not seen Possession.

97. Fitzcarraldo (1982) by Werner Herzog

Werner Herzog is one of my favorite directors, so this is not only one who is going to show up. In this movie Klaus Kinski puts on a great performance as the fantast Fitzcarraldo, who wants to build an operahouse in the middle of the jungle.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Taxi Driver

The Night of the Hunter

Possession - a must see; Żuławski is a hit or miss to me. While I completely loved Trzecia Część Nocy I couldn't even get past Diabeł. Let's hope this one is nice. I heard it's kinky, so I might actually like it!
Fitzcarraldo - now we're talking the same language!

Finished here. It's been fun.
Taxi Driver at 100? Talk about starting strong.

The Night of the Hunter is a film I like but not as much as you and some others, whilst certain elements are superb I don't think it works as well as a horror due to some of the childish aspects of it. Taxi Driver on the other hand is an absolute favourite of mine and was in my last top ten, I have seen it many times now and it is a great film.

Good start, looking forward to a lot of interesting films showing up

Edit: Not seen Possession.
Thank you!

You should definetely see possesion and i actually think its on youtube in full version. Its a must see if you like horror or for instance Antichrist by Lars von Trier.

Thank you!

You should definetely see possesion and i actually think its on youtube in full version. Its a must see if you like horror or for instance Antichrist by Lars von Trier.
I know you're a big fan of horror, I remember the list you did. I haven't seen anywhere near as many horror films of you, there's quite a lot I want to see in the genre as when it's done well it can be great. Yesterday as it was Halloween I actually watched Suspiria and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre both for the first time.

Edit: Shockingly I haven't seen Django either, although it looks like a film I would almost definitely love.

I know you're a big fan of horror, I remember the list you did. I haven't seen anywhere near as many horror films of you, there's quite a lot I want to see in the genre as when it's done well it can be great. Yesterday as it was Halloween I actually watched Suspiria and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre both for the first time.

Edit: Shockingly I haven't seen Django either, although it looks like a film I would almost definitely love.
Those are some grade A horror movies. I hope that you liked them

Those are some grade A horror movies. I hope that you liked them
I liked Suspiria, but I didn't like Texas Chain Saw Massacre, sorry

I think is a masterpiece, I have only seen two other Fellini (La Strada and Amarcord) and I am not too fussed about them either, but is brilliant, I love films about films.

Really interesting list so far. You seem to be a much more experienced movie watcher than I am. I've only seen Taxi Driver and Night of the Hunter. They were both very good. I'm very interested in watching Django and Fitzcarraldo. I'm looking forward to your list !

Nice start. I love Taxi Driver but haven't seen the others - except Night of the Hunter which I really didn't like I have Fitzcarraldo sitting here waiting for me to watch - have only seen Aguirre & Nosferatu by Herzog and I love them both. He's definitely a director that I need to see more of. Will check out Possession too - always up for more horror