these people. you may not like them as actors or you
may think their movies are not wonderful...but how can
you hate someone you do not know? unless of course you
are a biggot.
sorry but this really bothers me. how would you like to
be one of them and have everyone saying they hated you
and sending hate mail.....
please try to rephrase your posts! thanks

I hate people that are overly sensative and too politically correct. Welp, looks like I hate you then.

when I say I hate an Actor,Director,Writer etc I am always refering to the way they do their job.

I don't judge actor's on what they do in their spare time, I hate gossip magazines & the general fascination with celebrity in general. Even the actors I love, I dont care who they date or where they last ate.

When I say I hate an actor it's in exactly the same context as hating the shopkeeper down the road because he doesn't provide good customer service or is rude. I repeat, I hate them because they dont do their job well. An actor is meant to be in the moment if there not the viewer cannot be drawn completly into the artists work.

Now its easy to say dont go see the film, but what if the director is your favourite & the script is written by someone you admire? You have to give the actor a chance & the ones I hate make a good film unwatchable (see worst actor/actress threads for examples)........ The story can be brilliant, exquistely filmed but if the lead actor is not convincing it is all usless, same goes for Directors who repeatedly drag down good actors.

Get the idea now? I hate them because they don't do their jobs or more so when they dont realize they are bad at there chosen profession. Yet, repeatedly turn up in stories that interest me.....

Why hate someone you dont know for the way they live there lives, that would be silly & redundant?
I dont use the word hate loosely but when I talk about that idiot down the street he is "the shopkeeper I hate" & when I talk about a film I spent my money for that didnt even try to deliver the word "HATE" comes into it.

P.S Good question ChEeRs.....That was fun.

MovieForums Extra
Whoa Mr. Fong, that was a really strongly worded post!

Deckard, I agree pretty much with your post. I see no need to idolise even the good actors that we all like and appreciate in their movies, most of them are your average Joe Bloggs under the spot light! I'm pretty sure that most of us would behave like that if we had the whole world watching and interested anyway...

I think Deckard said it best - we just "hate" their style or way or going about their profession, etc. Now, sometimes we think actors are bad people (they're there, for sure), but overall when we say "hate" - we don't mean we hate the actual person.

I would certainly not hate on any person i don t know, i might say i didn t like his work rather than saying i don t like him...

It takes way too much of life's energy to hate things. It clouds vision and bleeds the life out of people that do the hating, leaving hollow shells of anger.

It's like a bad drug because it's also addictive and leads to hate in return. That's true for life and movies. I've seen lots of movies I don't like but it's a "so what" sort of thing. If I don't think I will like them, I don't go. If I do see it and don't like it, then it goes in my negative column in my movie list. I've seen lots of bad movies and still lived for another day. There's nothing useful that comes back to me because I hate this or that director or their movies, not to mention life in general, which is more important than movies.

“*In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.”

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I would certainly not hate on any person i don t know, i might say i didn t like his work rather than saying i don t like him...
19 years!!!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Being a critic is easy, because critics don't actually have to DO anything, never have to put their money where their mouths are.

“I was cured, all right!”
What's wrong with hate? It's just as normal as love.
Both of them can be a bad thing if we let them control our actions. But it's inside all of us.
My opinion, of course.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Reminds me of a conversation I had with this girl..

"You know, Jenny, I really hate war, and how its all built on lies. They benefit less than 1%, and I hate the hypocrisy..."

"You know, Matt, you shouldn't hate anything"........ RIGHT, because if I said "dislike" it would change EVERYTHING.

Being a critic is easy, because critics don't actually have to DO anything, never have to put their money where their mouths are.
Is this a foreplay for the "make a better <thing> yourself" argument (aka the worst argument on the internet, IMO)? Surprisingly this requirement of "putting one's money where the mouth is" only applies to negative critic while logically it should also prevent positive feedback on the same basis (inability to judge something unless being able to make the judged thing better yourself).

Art/entertainment (or actually anything commercial or publically distributed) is made to be consumed. These consumers have a right to choose, rate, review, hate, love, etc. these objects that have been released with an intent to make a profit out of them.

My favorite example of this "then make better yourself" fallacy is a sports coach. By that logic, you couldn't coach (criticize, instruct, etc.) an athlete without being a better athlete yourself. Sounds silly, right?

Oh, I don't know. The job of a critic is to communicate. For a really good critic, I think that their job is to bring a knowledge of the craft and history of an art form and help a more average viewer understand the context of the film they are discussing.

I do agree with you that bashing a movie takes less than a millionth of the effort of actually making a movie, even if that movie (to most people) is no good. So maybe I'll agree that being a critic is easy, but being a good critic is challenging.

Hate, as used by most people, is hyperbole. I rarely direct it at people. I do think that it's important to keep in mind that there are people out there who have trouble distinguishing characters from the actors who play them, and that it can be very easy to forget that actors are human beings. Anyone who is in the public spotlight (even in a more minor way) can end up on the receiving end of some really foul, cruel behavior and words. Because of this I tend to temper my language regarding people, and especially if they haven't done anything wrong. Ten years ago a friend of mine had a video go viral, and I was pretty shocked at the things people felt . . . perfectly comfortable saying about a person they did not know.

Even when someone I don't like as an actor/actress pops up in a film, that's not THEIR fault. Someone else hired them! Someone else wrote the words that they say! Someone else decided how much to feature them in the advertising! Someone else decided which take to use of a scene they were in!

People can use the word hate if they want. I think in most contexts it's easy to see that they don't mean that they hate the object of their derision. And I get that complaining/negativity is more fun and cathartic for many people. I don't know. At the end of the day, I just don't think that saying you hate someone adds much to a conversation.

Is this a foreplay for the "make a better <thing> yourself" argument (aka the worst argument on the internet, IMO)? Surprisingly this requirement of "putting one's money where the mouth is" only applies to negative critic while logically it should also prevent positive feedback on the same basis (inability to judge something unless being able to make the judged thing better yourself).,,,,,
Actually, it's a statement of fact. If it were foreplay, I'd do a lot better than this. I've written lots of movie reviews and they never took more than two hours. I've never directed, produced or acted in a movie, but I know enough to realize that the worst of them still require time, effort and money. So....ergo....reviewing movies IS easy because I don't have to make them. I just sit at my desk, pecking away at my computer until I feel like that's enough.

I'm not sure just how this thread came to be about some sort of Hater's Rights, but yeah, that sh*t will just eat you alive.

I guess this is valid if you're just talking about random people criticising art. But I don't see any merit in this statement if you're talking about professional critics who actually make a living doing it.

The truth is in here
Reminds me of a conversation I had with this girl..

"You know, Jenny, I really hate war, and how its all built on lies. They benefit less than 1%, and I hate the hypocrisy..."

"You know, Matt, you shouldn't hate anything"........ RIGHT, because if I said "dislike" it would change EVERYTHING.

I hate those who think there's a difference between "hate" and "dislike". There isn't. They literally mean the same thing.

If someone said "I dislike you" to me, it's not like the mildly more polite phrasing wouldn't result in me getting hurt.

As for the OP, it's about disliking the way someone does their work. It's possible for an actor to be a super nice person, but still be really bad at acting.

I hate those who think there's a difference between "hate" and "dislike". There isn't. They literally mean the same thing.
There are few things that annoy me more than when people dictate arbitrarily the meaning of words to other people and prescribe a context from the thin air of their own self-righteous hypocrisy. I resent every time I've done it to someone else, and every time it's been done to me. Like a verbal gestapo arresting words and throwing them in a harsher prison than the dictionary; a prison that starves nuance and impales understanding; a dungeon where the light of freedom of creative expression and individual language never grazes, and a hell that has never know or ever glimpsed poetry.