Why do we care so much about what's overrated?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You talk about the huge influx of these "overrated" threads as proof that the term is used to reinforce one's own opinions and I wonder if the actual issue is that people just enjoy posting and expressing thoughts that are rare or go against a common majority, simply because they are different and make conclusions that are not the usual repeated and beaten ones. That is, for the sake of bringing and reading something new that draws attention.
I'm pretty sure the OP has been on here for long enough to recognise the tone. And it's not new. It's in itself overrated and comes across as condescending. What's wrong with saying - I dont like this movie or show but millions would disagree with me and that's fine. Throwing out the It's overrated card about a popular movie or show comes across as a shout down, not an invitation to discuss. It's happening right now on social media about Game of Thrones. It's as good as the old imdb flaming of 'This show is crap and anyone who says they like it is a shill or a stupid emo teenager'. Putting that in quotation because I did see people buzzing around over there saying exactly that. Gets old very fast. I liked LaLaLand but didnt LOVE it like so many people. Would I say it was overrated? No. That's just silly IMO. It's not overrated to the people who thought it was excellent entertainment and a well made movie.

I'm pretty sure the OP has been on here for long enough to recognise the tone. And it's not new. It's in itself overrated and comes across as condescending. What's wrong with saying - I dont like this movie or show but millions would disagree with me and that's fine. Throwing out the It's overrated card about a popular movie or show comes across as a shout down, not an invitation to discuss. It's happening right now on social media about Game of Thrones. It's as good as the old imdb flaming of 'This show is crap and anyone who says they like it is a shill or a stupid emo teenager'. Putting that in quotation because I did see people buzzing around over there saying exactly that. Gets old very fast. I liked LaLaLand but didnt LOVE it like so many people. Would I say it was overrated? No. That's just silly IMO. It's not overrated to the people who thought it was excellent entertainment and a well made movie.
Not that I disrespect Iroquois who obviously knows very well how things have worked here for way longer than I do (I've been here for 4 years, he's been 12). But I'm not talking out of thin air there, I've been on here for long enough myself and I've been on other movie-related sites for way longer, and I've discussed and brought myself and seen the term brought many times.

What you are talking about is a form of politeness that is redundant. "It's overrated" conveys "I don't like this movie or show but millions would disagree with me" perfectly in one word and it's fine to use it as long as you acknowledge and people take your opinion for what it is, an opinion. It's not a shut down, we are talking again about individual personalities, I have used this term hundreds of times and never once I shut my claims from discussion with that, and I can mention lots of people who do the same. Why? Because on its basis the term just says that in your opinion people have something in a better consideration than you think it deserves. Of course it's a disagreement and of course it's not overrated to the people who love it but the point is that you are expressing your opinion and being polite and considerate is about respecting and understanding that (most in this case) other people don't agree with you and not about using or not a word that means specifically that. Lots of people being disrespectful does not make "overrated" a term inherently associated with disrespect.

Not that I disrespect Iroquois who obviously knows very well how things have worked here for way longer than I do (I've been here for 4 years, he's been 12). But I'm not talking out of thin air there, I've been on here for long enough myself and I've been on other movie-related sites for way longer, and I've discussed and brought myself and seen the term brought many times.

What you are talking about is a form of politeness that is redundant. "It's overrated" conveys "I don't like this movie or show but millions would disagree with me" perfectly in one word and it's fine to use it as long as you acknowledge and people take your opinion for what it is, an opinion. It's not a shut down, we are talking again about individual personalities, I have used this term hundreds of times and never once I shut my claims from discussion with that, and I can mention lots of people who do the same. Why? Because on its basis the term just says that in your opinion people have something in a better consideration than you think it deserves. Of course it's a disagreement and of course it's not overrated to the people who love it but the point is that you are expressing your opinion and being polite and considerate is about respecting and understanding that (most in this case) other people don't agree with you and not about using or not a word that means specifically that. Lots of people being disrespectful does not make "overrated" a term inherently associated with disrespect.
Yeah sure but you seem like a polite person who doesnt give off a tone that can be misinterpreted. I havent seen you say It's Overrated on Mofo because I havent been here long, but I;m going to assume you follow up with why you think a film is overrated. I personally dont care if someone tells me a film or actor I like is overrated. Has no power to ruin my day and in fact, I want them to give me details on why they have that PoV because it interests me, but I do understand the point he's making because he's brought it up a few times since I've been a member.

Yeah sure but you seem like a polite person who doesnt give off a tone that can be misinterpreted. I havent seen you say It's Overrated on Mofo because I havent been here long, but I;m going to assume you follow up with why you think a film is overrated. I personally dont care if someone tells me a film or actor I like is overrated. Has no power to ruin my day and in fact, I want them to give me details on why they have that PoV because it interests me, but I do understand the point he's making because he's brought it up a few times since I've been a member.
Thanks for your words and yeah, I agree with you, but can't the same be said about any term that is used without a proper explanation? I don't care if somebody tells that a movie is overrated, underrated, a masterpiece or a piece of junk. It's the elaboration what matters for discussion. The problem may lie in how certain social media promote fast reactions and not debate, but we can't talk then about an inherent problem of the term but on how communities are structured. And people probably not adjusting themselves well to the environment of a forum that asks for debate and elaboration on their thoughts.

Thanks for your words and yeah, I agree with you, but can't the same be said about any term that is used without a proper explanation? I don't care if somebody tells that a movie is overrated, underrated, a masterpiece or a piece of junk. It's the elaboration what matters for discussion. The problem may lie in how certain social media promote fast reactions and not debate, but we can't talk then about an inherent problem of the term but on how communities are structured. And people probably not adjusting themselves well to the environment of a forum that asks for debate and elaboration on their thoughts.
We're on the same page, jal. I agree with you. In my experience people who punch out with it's overrated or this is crap (I'm not saying on here by the way) are shouting down because when asked to elaborate what gave them that PoV they go silent. People who want to discuss either clarify in their first reply or discuss further when invited to.

Welcome to the human race...
It's the state of the discourse surrounding the term "overrated" that bothers me, including how it mutates from a simple matter of personally disagreeing with an inherently subjective consensus into a deliberately provocative right-or-wrong conflict that often disregards arguments for and against either side. I refer you to the first three posts of this thread, in which my good friend Dirk120 claims certain films are overrated with a sh*t-eating grin smiley only to drop an overreacting Michael Scott GIF when Saunch picks some films that Dirk120 actually likes. That three-post exchange exemplifies the problem - we throw out titles and end up disagreeing with one another to no particularly constructive end (either riling others up or getting riled up in the process), then the cycle begins anew with each new thread that gets made (often by new users). As noted, it'd be more acceptable if there was actually some insight to back it up, but often it's just dropping the titles as if the flaws are self-evident or that it's some kind of revelation that someone doesn't like a universally-acclaimed title. Also, did I mention how boring it gets to see the exact same titles get mentioned over and over again?

did I mention how boring it gets to see the exact same titles get mentioned over and over again?
Those overrated thread might not fit your taste, I get it. But I think it is more boring that the general discussion board doesn't have enough new threads and new posts. It seems like only "the Last movie you saw" thread is rolling.

Welcome to the human race...
Even when taking how "boring" the general discussion board is into account, surely the answer isn't to keep reviving the overrated topic through either starting new threads or bumping old ones. At least an "unpopular opinion" thread implies that there will be some variety depending on what's considered unpopular, but most of the replies treated it as just another overrated thread. Maybe the problem's with the user base.