Why do we care so much about what's overrated?

Tools    

i don't personally care much. my own taste in films is rather limited, almost all the films i really like are comedies, and there are lots of highly thought of films i don't personally care for much because they are not comedies. So i tend not to think of films I don't like as 'overrated'. except occasionally when I think the film was really stupid rather than just not to my taste. Titanic for instance. or the bloody Imitation Game. they're overrated.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
For me, it's a life thing -- I hate when crap is successful and I hate when great stuff isn't. I'm the same way with music, comedy, everything. It's not only a reflection of society, but the direction it's going in if you have been paying attention to history.

Ideas are as old as the rocks. The artist (and anyone else) should remind people what's best - prioritize.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
For me, it's a life thing -- I hate when crap is successful and I hate when great stuff isn't. I'm the same way with music, comedy, everything. It's not only a reflection of society, but the direction it's going in if you have been paying attention to history.

Ideas are as old as the rocks. The artist (and anyone else) should remind people what's best - prioritize.
How does it affect your life if someone likes something you think is crap? They might think what you like is crap. I loved Ephesus - thought it was amazing. My husband called it a pile of rubble. No biggy. I don't like the Mona Lisa. Millions would disagree with me and that's fine.

How does it affect your life if someone likes something you think is crap? They might think what you like is crap.
Indeed. It's so sad to me when people think they objectively know what constitutes good and bad art. More importantly, one of the lousiest sentiments regarding art in my opinion is that it somehow devalues over time. It doesn't - it just changes.

To imply art is required to do anything specific other than be personal expression defeats what art is all about. Anyone who considers themselves an artist should know that!

Indeed. It's so sad to me when people think they objectively know what constitutes good and bad art. More importantly, one of the lousiest sentiments regarding art in my opinion is that it somehow devalues over time. It doesn't - it just changes.

Totally agree. Art is subjective and always has been. If you like war and peace and I think it's drivel, that's cool. Lets discuss PoVs. I do actually think that's drivel but once again, millions will disagree with me and I'm fine with that. They obviously see something I don't.

Let the night air cool you off
The only time I care about when something is overrated is when I get tired of hearing about it. Other than that, I don't usually care a whole lot. I care a lot more when something is underrated, because I want others to recognize the greatness of whatever it might be.

How does it affect your life if someone likes something you think is crap? They might think what you like is crap. I loved Ephesus - thought it was amazing. My husband called it a pile of rubble. No biggy. I don't like the Mona Lisa. Millions would disagree with me and that's fine.
It DOES affect my life, I live here!

I want a triumph for good taste. My generation has produced nothing of worth.

I don't think it's sensitivity here. If you don't like my favorite movie (Goodfellas), I don't give a crap. Maybe you don't like the characters, maybe you don't like swearing, or maybe you just don't like looking at Liotta's pocked up face. All legitimate reasons as far as I'm concerned as nobody should have to explain their taste. But if you're calling it overrated, which means it's not as good as others think it is, then you're telling me I'm wrong. Well tell me why I'm wrong; don't create a thread and have nothing to say.
This is absolutely spot on. Calling something overrated shifts the discussion from the film itself to the public's perception of the film. It's not a critique of the film but a critique of opinions of the film which is rather absurd.

Things of worth are being created all the time. Every generation has created many things of worth.
And statistically speaking the last 40 years have produced more masterpieces of art than the 2,000 years before it.

It DOES affect my life, I live here!

I want a triumph for good taste. My generation has produced nothing of worth.

Just for an exercise, AVClub's top 50 of the noughties. There is nothing here you think is worth watching?

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-be...-the-00s-35931

Just for an exercise, AVClub's top 50 of the noughties. There is nothing here you think is worth watching?

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-be...-the-00s-35931
Only a few... I disliked more than I liked.. The older movies are just much, much, much better, so if I'm going to watch only one movie a week, I'll go with the probability, I don't wanna waste my time, so there's many movies from that list I'll never get to see.

Only a few... I disliked more than I liked.. The older movies are just much, much, much better, so if I'm going to watch only one movie a week, I'll go with the probability, I don't wanna waste my time, so there's many movies from that list I'll never get to see.

That's fair enough. Watch what you enjoy. No point sitting through stuff that will annoy or frustrate you.

That's fair enough. Watch what you enjoy. No point sitting through stuff that will annoy or frustrate you.
Out of curiosity, have you seen many movies from the 1930s-70s? If so, do you like non-English ones as well?

Out of curiosity, have you seen many movies from the 1930s-70s? If so, do you like non-English ones as well?
I used to watch the oldies all the time, and in fact had a dream about owning n art deco video outlet. Not so much these days, and I didnt really get into foreign films until later.

Welcome to the human race...
Having a thread "Why do we care so much about what's overrated?" is way overrated.
Great comeback. Maybe you can try going back to your unpopular opinion thread and post an opinion that doesn't revolve around calling something overrated.

I get the impression that it's easier to think that old movies are inherently better because the sands of time have effectively buried the movies that are anything less than good so the only ones that anyone still cares about these days are the good ones. Meanwhile, we get to see every new movie that comes out regardless of whether or not it's good so that creates an impression that movies these days aren't as good as they were in the Good Old Days. I can understand sticking to watching old ones since there's more of a guarantee that they'll be worth the time, but I wouldn't assume that new movies are automatically lesser just because we don't have the benefit of hindsight to help sort the wheat from the chaff.

Great comeback. Maybe you can try going back to your unpopular opinion thread and post an opinion that doesn't revolve around calling something overrated.

I get the impression that it's easier to think that old movies are inherently better because the sands of time have effectively buried the movies that are anything less than good so the only ones that anyone still cares about these days are the good ones. Meanwhile, we get to see every new movie that comes out regardless of whether or not it's good so that creates an impression that movies these days aren't as good as they were in the Good Old Days. I can understand sticking to watching old ones since there's more of a guarantee that they'll be worth the time, but I wouldn't assume that new movies are automatically lesser just because we don't have the benefit of hindsight to help sort the wheat from the chaff.
Or maybe I post whatever I want and don't give a damn about what others say.