Is Paul W.S. Anderson an underrated interesting filmmaker?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I think he gets a bit of a bad rap compared to some of the other so-called worst directors ever. I've seen most of his films (with the current exceptions being Death Race, The Three Musketeers and Pompeii) and I do reckon there's something to be said for the ways in which he manages to make a certain film with a surprising amount of craft.

Mortal Kombat is the obvious stand-out since it manages the humble task of creating a functional, entertaining videogame movie (even if, like the source game, it comes across as Enter the Dragon with magic powers). It even gets to the point where the PG-13 rating (nominally the kiss of death when adapting a famously gory franchise, as Anderson's later AVP proved) is barely an issue.

Event Horizon is another possible pick for his best film since it offers a reasonably entertaining space-horror that delves into Lovecraftian insanity and assembles a strong ensemble to carry its dark, unnerving tale.

Soldier is a flawed film, but worthy of some small measure of respect due to the presence of not only Kurt Russell as the eponymous soldier but also by having David Webb Peoples (Blade Runner/Unforgiven/Twelve Monkeys). It may not reach the heights of those esteemed classics, but the film as a whole is a distinctive riff on the concept of super-soldiers.

Resident Evil is where Anderson's status as an auteur truly begins as he adapts the iconic videogame franchise for the big screen with enough tweaks to render it its own thing (most notably through the introduction of Milla Jovovich's Alice), crafting a fairly competent zombie horror in the process (albeit one that would be improved upon by later installments).

Aliens vs. Predator is the obvious sticking point here and I'd wager the main reason why people are so willing to label Anderson one of the worst filmmakers in existence. I gave it a shot and did find enough to appreciate about it that I didn't label it a cinematic abortion, but it definitely came across as a misfire. I still feel like I should revisit it - at the very least, it's nowhere near as bad as AVPR.

Resident Evil: Afterlife sees him return to the director's chair after writing and producing the second and third Resident Evil movies, though he has adapted to the evolution of the mid-budget genre film quite admirably by putting his stamp on an otherwise familiar post-apocalyptic zombie tale. Afterlife itself is a slightly-above-average piece that shows Anderson willing to experiment with form (especially with the slick 3D visuals that readily manifest in the film's shiny third act) and serve as a promising rough draft for the series' high point.

Resident Evil: Retribution is, as of writing, my pick for both the best RE film and Anderson's best film (though it does have some strong competition in his first few films). It builds upon the more interesting parts of Afterlife in order to create something a little more off-kilter (possibly even avant-garde) than the otherwise standard zombie tales that make up the rest of the franchise, plus it manages a remarkably lavish visual style that I would put up against the best blockbusters of 2012. As far as style-over-substance genre exercises go, this is a surprisingly solid one.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter sees Anderson's hallmark series limp to a finish by undoing much of the goodwill of his previous installments by doing a greatest-hits installment that does tread some interesting ground but often suffers for sacrificing the slick visuals of Retribution for a generically brown and heavily-edited mess. I do want to like this more, but I'm not so sure that I can.

So there we go, my current rundown of the other Paul Anderson's output. His films are flawed, but they have merit and so I can't truly bring myself to hate them. Now it's your turn.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
LOL

I really liked Solider growing up, haven't watched in years but its a decent film. AVP just didn't hit the mark like I hoped it would although had some gratifying moments. Event Horizon terrified me as a teenager, again haven't watched in years. Mortal combat was silly fun, and I think Resident Evil was the same.

Wouldn't rate any of the above more than a 7/10 though.

Mortal Kombat I like. Event Horizen I like. Soldier I remember seeing in the theater and enjoying.

The Resident Evil movies are either okay, mediocre, or crap.

AVP was an abomination.

Everything else I never bothered to see. And that included RE movies post 4

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Anderson made his earlier films as "Paul Anderson", the name he registered with the Director's Guild of America, but with The Sight he began to credit himself as "Paul W. S. Anderson", as filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson had registered himself with the Writers Guild of America as "Paul Anderson", making it impossible for either of them to both write and direct a film under "Paul Anderson"

I don't hate his films and would consider him underrated simply because of the hate his movies tend to receive. His average film score on RT is 28%.

He needs to move away from RE though, give us a true horror film outside of the video game or sci/fi world. That I would be interested in. Low budget too, get him being creative because the guy is smart and knows how to make a movie.

My favourite thing he's been involved in is Pandorum, which he produced. Is that bad? I like Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon and can tolerate Resident Evil. After that it gets really murky.

The only thing I really remember from Soldier is the beginning and that fight while climbing chains.

Suspect's Reviews

mortal kombat and event horizon, those were his best outings i suppose.

You still haven't seen Death Race, @Iroquois?

That's pretty much the only Anderson film I like. It's really good even. Best video game adaption he has made... and it's not even a video game adaption.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Didn't hate the first Resident Evil, didn't like it though. Hated the second Resident Evil, stopped watching after that. Didn't hate Event Horizon, didn't like it though. Didn't hate Alien vs Predator, didn't like it though. Same with Mortal Kombat. The reoccurring thought I have about him is that I don't hate his work, but I don't like his work, I nothing him.

This might just do nobody any good.
There is a thread about Paul Thomas Anderson being overrated and another of Paul W.S. Anderson being underrated?

You guys failed.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I have a soft spot for his movies, and the first three RE films are a huge guilty pleasure for me. Also Mortal Kombat was my favorite movie as a kid, so there's a lot of nostalgic love there.

Yes I would say he's underrated, and disagree with people who would rank him alongside filmmakers such as Uwe Boll and Michael Bay.

Oh, and I'm horribly jealous of the man. He's married to one of the most incredible women on Earth:

I have a soft spot for his movies, and the first three RE films are a huge guilty pleasure for me. Also Mortal Kombat was my favorite movie as a kid, so there's a lot of nostalgic love there.

Yes I would say he's underrated, and disagree with people who would rank him alongside filmmakers such as Uwe Boll and Michael Bay.

Oh, and I'm horribly jealous of the man. He's married to one of the most incredible women on Earth:

Yuck

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Yuck
Is that necessary?

You still haven't seen Death Race, @Iroquois?

That's pretty much the only Anderson film I like. It's really good even. Best video game adaption he has made... and it's not even a video game adaption.
Not yet. It disappeared off Netflix before I had the chance.

There is a thread about Paul Thomas Anderson being overrated and another of Paul W.S. Anderson being underrated?

You guys failed.
I'll admit that half the reason I started this thread was to troll Shagz, who had a) started the "is PTA overrated" thread and b) cited Paul W.S. Anderson as the worst director ever. That's why the titles have the same structure.

Is that necessary?
Is your comment necessary?

Was that wife comment necessary?

Is any comment on this forum necessary?

I was just replying to the comment to say that I disagree.

Since he took the time to post a pic of Paul W.S Anderson's wife.

She's not attractive.

Not yet. It disappeared off Netflix before I had the chance.

I'll admit that half the reason I started this thread was to troll Shagz, who had a) started the "is PTA overrated" thread and b) cited Paul W.S. Anderson as the worst director ever. That's why the titles have the same structure.
Well aren't you a f*cking genius.

This might just do nobody any good.
Milla Jovovich, not good enough for Shagz.

Got it.

Is any comment on this forum necessary?

The secret is that I watched at least one of this guy's movies from start to finish before starting a thread about him.

The secret is that I watched at least one of this guy's movies from start to finish before starting a thread about him.
Ok I'll admit, I should of watched more of his movies before making a thread about him.

But it was a just a thought I had at the time and I was not judging his talents just that 1 movie I just questioning people whether he is overrated I was not labeling him overrated myself.

I'm sorry I didn't relies the level of homosexual tendencies people have in this forum for him.