Pixar Vs Dreamworks - Which Do You Prefer?

Tools    

Both studios are both different in there own way. I look at Pixar as a more characters/moral theme studio , where as Dreamworks is more plot driven/movie cliche studio. Both are good in their own way but what do you prefer.

1995 - Toy Story (Pixar)

1998 - A Bugs Life (Pixar) VS Antz (Dreamworks)

99/00- Toy Story 2 (Pixar) VS The Road To El-Dorado (Dreamworks)

2001 - Monsters Inc (Pixar) VS Shrek (Dreamworks)

2002 - Spirit : Stallion Of The Cimarron (Dreamworks)

2003 - Finding Nemo (Pixar) VS Sinbad : Legend Of Th Seven Seas (Dreamworks)

2004 - The Incredibles (Pixar) VS Shrek 2 & Shark Tale (Dreamworks)

2005 - Madagascar (Dreamworks)

2006 - Cars (Pixar) VS Over The Hedge (Dreamworks)

2007 - Ratatouille (Pixar) VS Shrek The Third & Bee Movie (Dreamworks)

2008 - Wall-E (Pixar) VS Madagascar 2 : Escape To Africa & Kung Fu Panda (Dreamworks)

2009 - Up (Pixar) VS Monsters Vs Aliens (Dreamworks)

2010 - Toy Story 3 (Pixar) VS Shrek Forever After & How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks)

Which do you prefer ?

Pixar makes the better films. I don't think there's anyone who can disagree with that on this forum.

I've yet to see Pixar deliver a bad film whereas has made some, like Bee Movie and Shark Tale.

Overall I prefer the golden age Pixar (Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles) to Dreamworks, with the caveat that I haven't seen that many Dreamworks films. I'm not sure anymore though, because How to Train Your Dragon seemed much more "Pixar-like" than Toy Story 3. I don't know about "bad", but TS3 felt pretty solidly average to me.

Yeah, it's Pixar, and it's not close. Dreamworks has gotten better, and sometimes I'm in the mood for something a bit more disposable, but it's still Pixar by several lengths. Very pleased that the chasm between the two has shrunk in recent years, though.

Pixar makes better films.

Id say with Pixar , they have made more films about characters and plots with morals and themes. The Three Recent Pixar Films in my opinion are classics especially Wall E.

Semper Fooey
Pixar innovator, Dreamworks copycat.

Pixar have made a series of films that stands comparison with the output of just about any artist or team in the history of film.

Dreamworks have made some trash (for example, Shark Tale, one of the worst films I've ever seen), but they've made good stuff too. The first two Shreks, Antz, and their best in-house effort yet, How To Train Your Dragon; they also have Aardman under their umbrella, so there's Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Chicken Run too. Their best films might approach the quality of the weakest Pixar ones, but I would be shocked (and delighted) if they could ever make anything remotely as wonderful as The Incredibles, WALL-E, Ratatouille, Up or the Toy Story films.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Pixar makes the better films, though I did enjoy the first Shrek film, albeit not as much as The Toy Story Trilogy, The Incredibles or Monster's Inc.

Surely from a technical point of view, it's Pixar? Aren't they acknowledged as having great technical achievements in animation?

Dreamworks don't do it for me. They don't really create good characters or memorable stories. Any Pixar owns Dreamworks. Pixar haven't made a bad movie either, unlike Dreamworks (monsters vs aliens and shrek are boring).

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Haven't tried the other yet, but popped The Incredibles (Pixar, I believe) DVD into a PS3, and it looked stunning.

While I enjoy the Shrek films, even they don't come close to any Pixar movies. Pixar movies are pretty timeless, while the majority of Dreamworks' stuff will be dated in a few years. Pixar movies are much higher in re-watchability than Dreamworks films, also.

Caveat: I do like the two Dreamworks Bible films (Prince of Egypt & Joseph: King of Dreams) and wish they would have made more of those. They weren't perfect, of course, but they were pretty good, IMHO.

Pixar is superior to Dreamworks in every way imaginable.... Not even a close competition.

Pixar are by far the better...

Much more fleshed out in storylines and much funnier too.
Pixar have more charm as well, Dreamworks tends to be very linear and all about the visual flash and bang aesthetics with wacky/zany singing and dancing to fill in the blanks... rather than the overall character and depth backed up by great writing and immense animation that Pixar delivers.

The only exception with Pixar is Cars and the sequels. Cars felt like a Dreamworks production. Very shallow and little to care for.

Likewise on the other side of the spoon, the only good thing Dreamworks did was Shrek. Shrek felt like a Pixar movie... but the sequels were rubbish and went back to Dreamworks' usual churned out garbage...

Pixar are by far the better...

Much more fleshed out in storylines and much funnier too.
Pixar have more charm as well, Dreamworks tends to be very linear and all about the visual flash and bang aesthetics with wacky/zany singing and dancing to fill in the blanks... rather than the overall character and depth backed up by great writing and immense animation that Pixar delivers.

The only exception with Pixar is Cars and the sequels. Cars felt like a Dreamworks production. Very shallow and little to care for.

Likewise on the other side of the spoon, the only good thing Dreamworks did was Shrek. Shrek felt like a Pixar movie... but the sequels were rubbish and went back to Dreamworks' usual churned out garbage...

Isn't is amazing how different we can be? I am the exact opposite as I enjoyed Cars (Cars 2 was kinda meh aside from Franchesco.) but I hate Shrek.

I like Dreamworks movies though, and I really enjoyed Puss N' Boots, he's the only good thing to come from Shrek. Rise of the Guardians recently, very solid movie IMO...

But overall, yeah, Pixar beats them every time, hands down.

I can appreciate both, but if I had to choose between watching ONLY Pixar or ONLY Dreamworks films for the rest of my life, the choice is Pixar, clearly.