Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I thought of you while watching it. My guess is that the Spanish version is nowhere to be found. It's also on YouTube but Tubi is free as well.
Tubi is not available in Europe, sadly.

Tubi is not available in Europe, sadly.
Pahak,

Im not sure if this will work in Europe but you can try.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/a-bell-from-hell

at least you can try to search for streaming platforms.

Dust Devil - the final cut 1992

+
Yes! This movie is not perfect, but I think it's criminally underseen and underappreciated. The 90s were such a mixed bag in terms of horror, but Dust Devil is a real breath of fresh air.

Sounds good, added to watchlist. You've seen A Bell From Hell? You like?
Okay, try not to judge me too much when I say this:

Every year a group of friends and I do a "Guess the Horror Movie" competition where we are shown 10 still images or gifs each day for all of October. Thus I have watched, with no exaggeration, hundreds and hundreds of films in part on YouTube, sometimes on fast-forwards, sometimes by jumping ahead in spurts of 3-5 minutes.

I have watched probably about half of Bell from Hell, but under the duress of "I NEED TO FIND THIS SCENE IN WHAT I THINK IS A BELL TOWER!!!!!". I have not given it a proper watch. However, I've seen enough of it to get a feel for its vibe. I owe it a decent, non-stressed viewing.

Patriots Day - 2016

Mixed feelings about movies like this. Isn't it sort of perverse to make a movie about an event so quickly that ruined many people's life? At the same time it can maybe provide some catharsis if done respectful and right. It's a weird space to me. I usually don't really wade into these sort of movies but I thought what the hell a change of pace.

I got to tell you it was a very well crafted retelling of the events. It was also completely refreshing to feel a bit of patriotism for once in forever. The narrative, like it or not, over the last year and change is to be a shame of the flag. The damn thing was all over this movie and it felt good to feel like a united America again even if it was just on a movie.

I mean not much else to say. It's a worthy, compelling retelling of the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013. Marky Mark did fine along with the rest of the cast, and I don't know if that cop he played happen to be everywhere but that was the one minor annoying part. Wahlberg was in the thick of everything, of course they going use a big star like that but you could feel the liberty being used during lol. Overall pretty enjoyable.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Yes! This movie is not perfect, but I think it's criminally underseen and underappreciated. The 90s were such a mixed bag in terms of horror, but Dust Devil is a real breath of fresh air.
I rewatched it quite recently too, and I liked it perhaps even more than I did originally. In many ways, it reminded me of Fulci. Very stylish film.

I rewatched it quite recently too, and I liked it perhaps even more than I did originally. In many ways, it reminded me of Fulci. Very stylish film.
I wouldn't have thought of Fulci in connection with Dust Devil, but now that you say it I see what you mean. That sense of unreality.

You Should Have Left (2020, David Koepp)

Imagine patiently enduring this in a theater waiting for something redeeming until the end – in vain – and then seeing the title when the closing credits roll? Yeah, exactly. And what was Kevin Bacon thinking - his acting here is comically bad, as is pretty much everything else about this movie.

Yes! This movie is not perfect, but I think it's criminally underseen and underappreciated. The 90s were such a mixed bag in terms of horror, but Dust Devil is a real breath of fresh air..
it was indeed, its a shame writer/director Richard Stanley has not made more films in his career, he has a really unique vision, I cant say I have seen a film quite like Dust Devil before, pleased I watched the recent colour out of space as on many reviews this was cited as the directors superior work, having also heard it mentioned on here a couple of times I took a midnight viewing last night and so very pleased I did, an intriguing unusual little piece with some great imagery, probably the last horror film I'll watch that takes place in Namibia also!!
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)
(rewatch)

I wanted to celebrate the life of one of my idols, Ennio Morricone, so I spent a good part of my day going through some of his most epic scores and the scenes where they were used. I eventually came across with the opening of The Hateful Eight and realized I haven't watched it since it came out, having hated it by then.

While I still think Tarantino can do better, my opinion improved a lot this time around, perhaps cause I've seen what he did after so this film actually looks good when compared to the aberration that Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood was.

First of all the obvious: at 89 Ennio Morricone was still composing fresh scores with the true western spirit. The man was truly the best soundtrack composer in History and it's beyond criminal this film gave him his first competitive Oscar, unless you assume that every year since the man began writting music, Oscars are given to the second best composer.
The cinematography also looks really good, both outdoors and indoors. I won't get into the editing or the pacing because that wouldn't be a problem if the things I'm going to write next weren't such a big flaw. I am just going to say that the inability he has of looking at unity and the feeling of whole as a necessary attribute to a true work of art is mainly what stops him from being one of the greats.

The acting is as good as you'd expect with such a cast and being a Tarantino film, every actor transforms into a dialogue spitting machine. I used to like this unique trait, it gave every film directed by the man a very specific energy, an unapologetical style over content approach. But then again, he used to do it better.
Not that the dialogue is poorly written or it lacks the usual style, quite on the contrary, this is perhaps the film where that style appears in a more homogenous way. The problem is that the film, and ultimately Tarantino himself, became too self conscious and arrogant.
It's obvious Tarantino loves what he wrote and knows it's good, and it's obvious he felt that during the whole writting process. The result is the feeling that every character is in love with the sound of their own voice and every line is said with the aim of showing how cool each one of them is, instead of that being a natural consequence of the narrative.

Tarantino has a very special personality. You see it on interviews or award ceremonies, that social awkwardness of a guy who grew up inside a cinema or a movie rent store and whose best friends were films used to be quite touching. The thing is: the guy who gave us Pulp Fiction was in love with cinema and his work was a fitting tribute to his passion. He didn't care for building great psychological trips through the mind of his characters, he just wanted to have fun. And that had a beauty that remains unparalleled in the last 30 years.
This guy, however, is in love with himself. His tribute is not to cinema anymore, but to himself and to his own style. When you hear him talk about this film, he repeats one time after the other how good the material is. I wish he didn't know that.

-

[Curtiz 2018]

'Preciate the heads-up. Sounds good, will watch...
Oh boy, I don't know WHAT they were trying to do with that movie. It could have been a compelling story because of Curtiz's stature, and also the subject matter, but it went way off the rails for me.

Perhaps they were trying to be artistic, but to me it seemed almost like a dark satire, except nothing was funny.

I did like the actor who played Curtiz. He almost put me in mind of someone out of The Third Man. Also the cinematography was absorbing, but was wasted on a semi-incoherent film.

I wanted to like this picture, but I bailed after about 30 minutes. Therefore maybe I missed some of the good stuff.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)

ATHF the show was very hit or miss for me, and the movie was very much the same. I find some of the characters hysterical, but a lot of them are also annoying and repulsive (which I find typical of most adult swim cartoons). This movie is dumb, and it knows it is, but a few of the gags were worth revisiting since I originally saw this 10+ years ago.

The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)

Spiky little abduction thriller. Well acted, well paced and interesting interactions between the 3 players. Interesting.

I watched the recent colour out of space as on many reviews this was cited as the directors superior work!
Colour Out of Space is definitely on my to-see list. I know that his movie Hardware has some defenders, but I've never been too interested in it.

The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)

Spiky little abduction thriller. Well acted, well paced and interesting interactions between the 3 players. Interesting.

It's a film I enjoyed watching one time, and then just couldn't get into it a second time. I think that it has some really well-paced twists and turns. I really like movies with very limited casts, and I happen to quite like all three of the actors.

There's a completely useless garbage German remake called Kidnapping Stella. I put it on one night and was like . . . wait a minute!

Maybe the best thing about Alice Creed is that it introduced me to the song "Holy Moly" which I have enjoyed ever since.

Un taxi pour Tobrouk (1961)
aka Taxi for Tobruk

A French movie about four French soldiers and one German officer traveling across the Sahara during WW2. For some reason, I kept thinking that @Citizen Rules would like this but I personally didn't. I found the journey rather boring and everything felt naive in the wrong way. I didn't exactly hate it, but due to another discussion let's pretend I did