Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Targets (1968) --Peter Bogdanovich

This much discussed first major film by Peter Bogdanovich (PB) suffered from poor release timing, following the assassinations of ML King and Bobby Kennedy. The public was not in the mood for a movie about a mass murderer, despite the fact that it was a very good picture.

There are two parallel stories: in the first, an aging horror film star, Byron Orlok (Boris Karloff) has shocked and frustrated all his management people by announcing he's decided to quit acting in films. With much prodding by a young director (Bogdanovich) he agrees to make a publicity appearance at a special presentation at the Reseda Drive In theater in the Los Angeles San Fernando Valley.

At the same time a young clean cut Vietnam War vet gradually has a break from reality, causing him to murder his wife and mother, and then to position himself atop an oil storage tank along a freeway where he shoots a number of people as they drive along the highway. He escapes and eventually takes refuge in the Reseda Drive In theater, where the two stories converge and lead to a gratifying ending.

The sniper portion of the story was partially fashioned after the "Texas Tower Sniper" incident in 1966 where a deranged 25 year old murdered 17 people from atop a tower on the campus of U.T. at Austin.

Karloff steals the show with his gravitas and fine acting. It was his next to last film before he died, and no one could have played the role more convincingly. Tim O'Kelly turned in a realistic performance as the sniper, Bobby Thompson. And PB fit his role perfectly as the young director. He had wanted another actor for the role, but the actor became unavailable, so PB simply took over the part himself. There was first rate cinematography by the great Laszlo Kovacs. Notably there was no film score.

The picture got good reviews at the time, but because of the overshadowing national news events, it quietly faded. Undaunted, PB went on to make The Last Picture Show, What's Up, Doc?, and Paper Moon.

Made on a shoestring budget, produced by the very frugal Roger Corman, the film has come down as a minor classic. Despite the restrictions and scrambling production, Bogdanovich gave the world an inkling of his savvy and brilliance early in his career.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Wildling
(2018)
3.5/5

Had a good feel to it but it would have been better if it was Scandinavian as it seems it could be based on one of their folklore characters.

A lot more fun and gorier than I expected. Kinda loved it. The girl had some Cage rage in her and I liked Kevin James in a bad guy role. Some good kills!
I remember seeing the trailer for this and thinking there is no way Kevin James can sell me as a bad guy. Maybe I'll check this out.

Adam's Apples (2005)

Outrageous without being silly, this is one of the best dark comedies I've ever seen. If you think rape, molestation, handicapped children, and racism is funny, then this is the movie for you. Great rec by MG and MM since I never would have watched it on my own.
How can I give you 1,000 reps?... It's one of my favorite dark comedies and you know my love for Mads but I am a fan of Ulrich and Nikolaj. Here is one of my favorite scenes.

WARNING: "LOL" spoilers below
"Let's stop with the accusations. It was an old cat. He just happened to fall down while we were shooting. If you want to discuss it now we can".

Now I recommend both Blinkende lygter and De grønne slagtere. All three films are directed by Anders Thomas Jensen.

It was the only "true match" I could think of.

Although, actually, I think that Possession (1981) also fits that mold of intensity and strangeness and STRONG FEELINGS.

Some other honorable mentions might be:
Some episodes of Hannibal
Antichrist
Videodrome
A Tale of Two Sister
Kill List
Lake Mungo
Santa Sangre
Cure
Images
God Told Me To
Who Can Kill a Child?
In a Glass Cage
Shelley
Demon
Thank you for the gorgeous list, I’m all set for the rest of the week.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Looks That Kill (Kellen Moore, 2020)
6/10
It's a Bikini World (Stephanie Rothman, 1967)
4/10
Miss Juneteenth (Channing Godfrey Peoples, 2020)
6/10
Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (Charlotte Zwerin, 1988)
7/10

The influential jazz pianist toiled in obscurity for much of his life.
Shadows (John Cassavetes, 1958)
+ 5/10
The Dead and the Others (João Salaviza & Renée Nader Messora, 2018)
6/10
Mickey One (Arthur Penn, 1965)
5/10
Jazz on a Summer's Day (Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959)
6.5/10

Louis Armstrong in one of several highlights of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival.
A Serial Killer's Guide to Life (Staten Cousins-Roe, 2019)
5/10
The Etruscan Smile (Oded Binnun & Mihal Brezis, 2018)
+ 6/10
Selfie Dad (Brad J. Silverman, 2020)
5/10
Athlete A (Bonni Cohen & Jon Shenk, 2020)
7/10

In-depth presentation of the USA Gymnastics sexual abuse scandal.
Western Heritage (Wallace A. Grissell, 1948)
6/10
Stampede (Lesley Selander, 1949)
5.5/10
1 Dimension (Lü Yue, 2013)
6.5/10
The Wild Goose Lake (Yi'nan Diao, 2019)
6/10

Chinese gangsters search for one of their crew when he hides out from them.
Timber Stampede (David Howard, 1939)
6/10
Goldie (Sam de Jong, 2019)
5/10
The Big Trees (Felix Feist, 1952)
6/10
Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks, 1974)
7/10

Hell yeah, it's a western.

Môjû [Blind Beast] (Yasuzô Masumura, 1969)

Captivating up to a point

COME TO DADDY
(2019)

First viewing. Original dark comedy with some crazy violent scenes. I feel this film will turn out to be a cult classic.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I remember seeing the trailer for this and thinking there is no way Kevin James can sell me as a bad guy. Maybe I'll check this out.

He was surprisingly good as a neo nazi *******. It's not the first time a person who normally does comedy surprises me with a dramatic role.

It's a fun movie. Quite violent though, so expect a couple of gruesome scenes.

Targets (1968) --Peter Bogdanovich
Thanks very much for the interesting review Doc. Well and truly added to the list of films I need to see. Cheers.

COME TO DADDY
(2019)

First viewing. Original dark comedy with some crazy violent scenes. I feel this film will turn out to be a cult classic.

And from the guy who wrote The Greasy Strangler, so I'd expect it to be pretty weird.

I entirely approve of the film choices Elijah Wood has made in the last few years, especially Over the Garden Wall and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

Thank you for the gorgeous list, I’m all set for the rest of the week.
They are all movies that I love to discuss, so if you do watch and enjoy any of them, I will happily chat about them.

Stagecoach (1939)

The first serious adult western and the film that made John Wayne a star (at least according to our public broadcast company's introduction). I think the cheap children's B-movie past of the westerns is still too much visible here but it has its moments. Surprisingly I liked Wayne on this one too. Not the worst important film of the past, but rather mediocre as a western.

Stagecoach (1939)

The first serious adult western and the film that made John Wayne a star (at least according to our public broadcast company's introduction). I think the cheap children's B-movie past of the westerns is still too much visible here but it has its moments. Surprisingly I liked Wayne on this one too. Not the worst important film of the past, but rather mediocre as a western.

I liked it a hair more than you did (maybe a 3/5 for me), but overall I agree. There are some interesting character dynamics, but it's more of a drama than a Western, despite the action setpiece of the chase.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Stagecoach is the best western from the conception of the genre up until 1962 when The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released.

And don't even mention The Searchers. Just like Ford himself said: "It's just a western". Then again, who could take the guy seriously when his favourite of his own movies is The Long Gray Line, a half-assed, poor man's The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Stagecoach is the best western from the conception of the genre up until 1962 when The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released.
I prefer almost all of Boetticher's work to Stagecoach, especially in the way that the action/violence connects so strongly with the arc of the characters in the films.

That said, I've read several articles about Stagecoach and I understand why some people value it so highly.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I prefer almost all of Boetticher's work to Stagecoach
Fair enough. I haven't seen any Boetticher film as I'm not really that much into classical westerns, preferring some spaghetti on my plate. I'll watch his arguably best known Ride Lonesome sometime in the future, though, for sure.

Still, I doubt it can top Stagecoach which is a film of beauty. The scene in which the baby is about to be born, and the men just stand there in a room is forever engrained in my mind. It's the blocking and their faces:

Or this zoom and John Wayne's eyes:

I don't know why critics love it. Probably for some inane reason like: "OMG, look, deep focus before Citizen Kane! I must love it!", but I love it just for things like this.

What's really interesting is that every single black and white John Ford film I saw was at least a great one. His black and white filmography is overflowing with masterpieces. His color ones, however, always leave me disappointed.