Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Originally Posted by Gangland
I'm a bit under the weather, so I was able to leave work early yesterday and take Robert Mulligan's The Nickle Ride (1974). Those unfamiliar with Mulligan's filmography (To Kill A Mockingbird (1962), The Other (1972)), he's a director who never made the same movie twice; so I was excited to see his contribution to the crime/neo-noir genre with The Nickle Ride. A film that I think is unfairly neglected, The Nickle Ride captures the economic downturn of the 1970s (similarly how Killing Them Softly (2012) captures the economic disaster of the "Great Recession") and is as bleak and moody as one of its crime movie contemporaries: The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973).

Starring Jason Miller as "Key Man" Cooper, whose role is never explicitly explained to the audience, but seems to be the combination of underworld fixer and high end fence, is in the middle of a deal of securing a large amount of warehouses to keep stolen goods in. The problem is that the cop on the mob's payroll who he needs protection from is skittish about the deal, testing the patience of the mob boss that Cooper works for.

Don't be misled, this isn't a gangster movie (per se), if anything it's a movie about a high stakes real estate deal that just happens to take place in the underworld. Miller's performance is a great slow burner, his character continuously worn down by the stresses that accompany this deal. Grossly overlooked is Linda Haynes' performance as Cooper's girlfriend, Sarah, who does the best her with the character written for her.

I recommend The Nickle Ride to anyone who's a fan of the crime/gangster/neo-noir genre. It may not be a movie that you'll watch multiple times, but it's one that you won't regret checking out. Unfortunately, The Nickle Ride isn't available for streaming anywhere that I know of, and isn't even available on Netflix by mail, but only on a double feature DVD that contains The Nickle Ride and the oddly named 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974).
Gangland, you've definitely got me interested in this one. I love Robert Mulligan and I'm a fan of Jason Miller, so this is a must for me. May have to order that double DVD one day. Thanks for the heads-up!

Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937)

Sometimes a mother's love knows no bounds

Good Time (2017)

Wow! Really enjoyed this! 4.5/5!!!

An hour and a half of Franco doing Wiseau is plenty. Film has some good laughs most of them coming in middle of the film when they start production of The Room. Having seen the Room it's a nice supplement but, to the uninitiated it might be a bit dull.

(on a huge curve)
It's a bad, bad, bad film in every aspect. Truly awful. Really not worth anybody's time unless late 80's, slasher/who-dun-its tickle your fancy. Fortunately, for me, they do so I loved it. Stash this one in the so bad it's good bin. TOUCHDOWN!

Kylo Ren is by far my favorite thing in this film, the third act it's a little rushed and that death still looks 'forced' but I like to see this one as just an introduction to the new trilogy. I'll watch the new one just on monday 'cause I don't want to see with a bunch of kids screaming every time. The comedy in this film still very good too, but I have big problems with the affection that the main characters had with each other. It doesn't make any sense... But ok, it's Star Wars right?
Believe me, the Last Jedi makes the Force Awakens look real good.

My review on TLJ is coming soon.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Urmmm...

That's about it.

I Origins (Mike Cahill, 2014)

Proto-itheistic offering

MOTHER!
(2017)

A decent psychological horror film that features good performances by the entire cast.

Aronofsky knows how to provide disturbing scares, much like he did in Black Swan. But here, he tops it near the end of the movie in a scene that is bound to make you extremely uncomfortable.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa