The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I just undo a button.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I just undo a button.
Hacks!

---

*********, now Crytech are suing the Star Citizen guys and I can't stop watching....

It's probably a money grab by a sinking ship, but it also seems like they might have some grounds re licensing breaches etc. (Maybe CIG were just hoping to outlast them and run off with their code, who knows).

Amusingly, one of the tangental claims is that CIG keeps sharing propriety Crytek script-fu in their Bugsmashers videos. And they seem to have done the same again today ....

Well at a minimum, having 'CryEngine Warnings' flash up, and various code still accredited to Crytek onscreen (previous example) doesn't look pretty, regardless of the 'StarEngine' rebrandings or claims that it's purely the Amazon Lumberyard branch.

It'll probably all move to fisticuffs behind closed doors now. But at least the more avid fire-watchers can stare at things like the crowd-funding tracker.... Will it hit a daily zero for the first time ever....?

The current bonus debate here is: Has it always been fake, and they're now slashing it to avoid being pursued for imaginary money they don't have. Or have they really genuinely been receiving such deranged amounts every day, and the fanbase is now having a moment...

(Intriguingly the 'moment' started before the lawsuit was widely known, but hey, I'm just enjoying the pseudo sleuthing . Their last sale seems to have finished weeks ago, so that shouldn't be driving the drop. Intriguing...)

---

EDIT: Standard caveat. I want to see this game make it to the wild, but I'm increasingly convinced it's gonna hobble there at best, and collapse due to scuzzy behaviour at worst...

In my quest to find the perfect android game, after trying dozens, behold! It is here! This game is so much fun it made me bored of previously addicting games. Nothing else compares.

Minute Monsters

This clicker game has a very diverse set of monsters you can catch and use. The graphics are colorful and crisp, the gameplay is smooth with a simple fun balance that also has some intricacy. You can post your team's code online and input other people's codes to battle their teams. Combining monsters with synergy gives your team a boost. It has a wonderful pace that doesn't get boring or overwhelming. It's like a side scrolling combination of Dragon Quest meets Pokemon.

Check it out for some time killing on your phone. Just try not to get too addicted, or you'll need rehab like me.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Anybody have any ideas for the Christmas party this year. "Umm...How bout we get some takeout from Aunt Betty's Cafe and play Gang Beasts and Brawlhalla?"

In my quest to find the perfect android game, after trying dozens, behold! It is here! This game is so much fun it made me bored of previously addicting games. Nothing else compares.

Puzzle Fighter is on phones now, but I've not tried it yet to see how it compares to the original.

My favourite phone game by far is still 80 Days but this year's are the Hidden My Game By Mom games. Coming soon to the Switch!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Is Fortnite from the same people? It looks like a cartoon version of this game. You literally do the exact same thing, parachute from a plane down into a massive map and collect items to kill people.

Suspect's Reviews

@TheUsualSuspect - Fortnite is from Epic, makers of Unreal Engine, the engine PUBG runs on. This isn't unusual in itself because Unreal is one of the most popular engines going, but Epic conveniently brought out Fortnite Battle Royale very soon after PUBG was confirmed to be a sales phenomenon on PC.

PUBG were very vocal about Epic not playing very nicely with one of their partners (who pay Epic to use Unreal) but their accusations of copying were a bit weird. PUBG certainly wasn't the first Battle Royale style game mode but it still doesn't paint Epic in a great light - The free version of Fortnite has now pivoted completely to become this Battle Royale thing.

Seems to be infinitely more polished on console than the Xbone PUBG currently is, but that's beside the point.

In LA Noire VR you can become Agent Phelps, and then make him dance in front of a mirror. So there's that

EDIT:
Oh my god I wish my recording software worked with this. Seeing the face mo-cap stuff on the move is something else. Also my dancing

First Thoughts

---

I was playing Fallout 4 but that crashed

First Thoughts

Early this morning, someone posted to one of the local gaming FB groups I'm in that a store nearby got a shipment of SNES Minis in. I decided...why the hell not, and went out to get one.

While I'm happy with my purchase, the cords for the controller are just slightly too short to comfortably reach my couch from the edge of the entertainment centre, and the power cord is too short for it to sit on the floor in front of the unit instead. I'd heard that this was an issue with the Minis, but I figured since my living room was quite small, I'd be fine. Apparently not.

I was planning to take it home over the holidays to play with my brother, but if the cords aren't long enough for my setup, it's not going to be playable at my mom's house at all. We couldn't even sit on the floor like it's the early 90s, since her tv is quite high off the ground (I would argue too high, but whatever, it's her neck). So there goes that fun idea.

The thing is super adorable though, so I can't stay mad at it haha.

Early this morning, someone posted to one of the local gaming FB groups I'm in that a store nearby got a shipment of SNES Minis in. I decided...why the hell not, and went out to get one.

While I'm happy with my purchase, the cords for the controller are just slightly too short to comfortably reach my couch from the edge of the entertainment centre, and the power cord is too short for it to sit on the floor in front of the unit instead. I'd heard that this was an issue with the Minis, but I figured since my living room was quite small, I'd be fine. Apparently not.

I was planning to take it home over the holidays to play with my brother, but if the cords aren't long enough for my setup, it's not going to be playable at my mom's house at all. We couldn't even sit on the floor like it's the early 90s, since her tv is quite high off the ground (I would argue too high, but whatever, it's her neck). So there goes that fun idea.

The thing is super adorable though, so I can't stay mad at it haha.
I got one of these - Link

Although, what I do now is have a long HDMI cable instead, with the Mini sitting at my feet. You don't need to have a wall socket nearby because it runs fine off a USB power bank.

LIFEHACXXXxxx!

Gang Beasts was not quite as glorious as I had hoped. Then again, I played on a night where I had car service .

From what I played, it seem like most of the inputs don't really do much. Basically seemed to devolve into a pushing-slap fest.

We only played the tractor trailer and scaffold level, so that could be part of it.

Gang Beasts was not quite as glorious as I had hoped. Then again, I played on a night where I had car service .

From what I played, it seem like most of the inputs don't really do much. Basically seemed to devolve into a pushing-slap fest.

We only played the tractor trailer and scaffold level, so that could be part of it.
There is weird nuance in there (flying headbutts etc, although you do have to get timing and button-holds right). But it's far more about the backward-limbos-under-attacks-for-no-reason I reckon. Followed by the: crawl-away-so-pitifully-they-can't-possibly-attack-you finisher . The problem is that none of the nuance moves are really that useful

Never heard of tractor trailer but the scaffold level is pretty dull yeah. For some reason the carnival wheels is a favourite. (It's quite a good one for 'completely undeserving survival while clinging to a thing' )

Have they got co-op wave mode working properly yet?

Never heard of tractor trailer but the scaffold level is pretty dull yeah. For some reason the carnival wheels is a favourite. (It's quite a good one for 'completely undeserving survival while clinging to a thing' )

Have they got co-op wave mode working properly yet?
The semi-trucks or truck and trailer levels where you have to duck for the overhead road signs.

We didn't play the wave mode. I watched a video to see what it was and there is apparently a little more nuance to the controls than I thought. Grab and drag mainly. Makes me think of it like RL, you can play, but you're not going to be that good at first.

Really wanted to test out Brawlhalla, but the Fates had other plans.

I got one of these - Link

Although, what I do now is have a long HDMI cable instead, with the Mini sitting at my feet. You don't need to have a wall socket nearby because it runs fine off a USB power bank.

LIFEHACXXXxxx!
My room mate mentioned that they sometimes have those controller extensions at a locally run store that focuses on Nintendo products, so I'm going to check there throughout the week. They tend to overcharge for everything though, so if I didn't want it before this weekend I'd definitely buy them online instead.

While I do have an unnecessarily long HDMI cable, I don't have a power bank and they cost a bit much for what I'd use it for. However, it just occurred to me that I could use an extension cord for the power supply, which might solve the controller cord length issue as well since I could have the unit closer to where I'm sitting. Christmas is saved!

Is Fortnite from the same people? It looks like a cartoon version of this game. You literally do the exact same thing, parachute from a plane down into a massive map and collect items to kill people.

Have you people actually not played the original Arma mod, Playerunknown's Battleroyale? It is sad to see people actually playing these mediocre rip-offs more than the original. Sad, but also kind of funny. We (people who aren't scrubby plebs) have been playing this game for years with better graphics and more realistic mechanics. I die of laughter and tears every time I see someone promote an arcady rushed half unfinished clone. Play the original Arma mod, you plebs lol. No offense, it's just that sad.

Puzzle Fighter is on phones now, but I've not tried it yet to see how it compares to the original.

My favourite phone game by far is still 80 Days but this year's are the Hidden My Game By Mom games. Coming soon to the Switch!

That looks extremely boring.

Have you people actually not played the original Arma mod, Playerunknown's Battleroyale? It is sad to see people actually playing these mediocre rip-offs more than the original. Sad, but also kind of funny. We (people who aren't scrubby plebs) have been playing this game for years with better graphics and more realistic mechanics. I die of laughter and tears every time I see someone promote an arcady rushed half unfinished clone. Play the original Arma mod, you plebs lol. No offense, it's just that sad.
You do realise that Battlegrounds is made by Brendan Greene, Playerunknown himself? Y'know, his actual vision, not a mod constrained by other peoples' property?

Have a word with yourself. No offense.

The semi-trucks or truck and trailer levels where you have to duck for the overhead road signs.

We didn't play the wave mode. I watched a video to see what it was and there is apparently a little more nuance to the controls than I thought. Grab and drag mainly. Makes me think of it like RL, you can play, but you're not going to be that good at first.

Really wanted to test out Brawlhalla, but the Fates had other plans.
Yeah ultimately the sticky grab + variable physics are the main draw. Once everyone's clocked that it kinda becomes a game of 'Can we throw this guy off the crane by grabbing one butt cheek each?'. (With added 'Can I save him by holding on to his ear?')

Hide and seek was invented by Hansel & Gretel. Everyone here is using the wrong medium...