Luis' - Movie Log (Non New Releases)

→ in
Tools    

watch citizen kane

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
watch citizen kane
I'm actually so ashamed that I haven't seen this classic film. Heard great things about it. One person even said that I can't call myself a film fan if i haven't seen Citizen Kane, it's on my TBW list now, thank you!

I recently watched it on the big screen. I enjoyed it but to me it is not a masterpiece but I love hearing peoples thoughts on it.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Watched: December 1, 2017

The best thing about this movie are the fantastic characters. I couldn't name more than five for the life of me, because the names are so complicated, but hell did they establish the fellowship so well.The myth is obviously fantastic, Tolkien crafted a complex, fascinating, and exciting story.

The production is amazing, especially for a 2001 flick, and obviously the action sequences and combat scenes are fascinating, but I want to go into detail on those in the last couple of films. I honestly don't have much to say about this movie, while it is great, there's isn't much that stands out as "amazing" other than a couple of individual sequences. I was a little underwhelmed after watching this, as I know most film fans would declare this one of, if not the best trilogy of all time. The first film definitely didn't live up to the hype. I feel like this is the only film in the trilogy that suffers from the very long runtime, it looses pace, and some times has trouble meeting the exposition heavy scenes. While I do think this movie is great for reasons already discussed, I don't think much of what people adore about this franchise is present in this film.

SCORE - 80%

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Cool review . I'm the opposite though. I felt this was the best re: run time and flow. For me the next two was the heralding of the Kiwi Hobbit's overbloated onslaught. I couldnt even get through The Hobbit more than 15 minutes or so per episode. FotR I felt totally engaged throughout but then it lost me. I still thought it was epic throughout but I started getting bored.( LotR fans pleasedont bash me - I'm a total fan of the books and have been reading them since I was a kid so maybe that's why I almost dozed off)

Cool review . I'm the opposite though. I felt this was the best re: run time and flow. For me the next two was the heralding of the Kiwi Hobbit's overbloated onslaught. I couldnt even get through The Hobbit more than 15 minutes or so per episode. FotR I felt totally engaged throughout but then it lost me. I still thought it was epic throughout but I started getting bored.( LotR fans pleasedont bash me - I'm a total fan of the books and have been reading them since I was a kid so maybe that's why I almost dozed off)
Yeah, my review feels more negative than it is an 80 is a very high score, I just felt like the underwhelming aspects of it were itching to come out. I'm glad you like this one the most, (as do a lot of people). My favorite one is in my Top 10 actually. lol. Thank you for tuning in.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah, my review feels more negative than it is an 80 is a very high score, I just felt like the underwhelming aspects of it were itching to come out. I'm glad you like this one the most, (as do a lot of people). My favorite one is in my Top 10 actually. lol. Thank you for tuning in.
No way, it's not negative, Luis. I was just tossing in my 2 cents worth.

I think we can both agree it was an AMAZE ing little world he created. Dayum I wanted to be one of the curly haired hobbit kids. So glad I didnt see that as a kidlet - I would have driven my family insane.

Recently i seen this movie...nice one.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Watched: December 2, 2017

All the praise that this trilogy has revealed itself in the second installment almost from the beginning of the film. Every bit of spectacle and combat sequence from the first movie is raised here, but raised with stakes, character moments, and dramatic undertones.

First off, Frodo's character became so interesting to me that I finally felt edged to place him as one of the best heroes of all time; he was likable enough in Fellowship, but in that movie I sort of just saw him as a vessel to carry the ring, in this film however, we delve deeper into his psyche and what it means for him to carry the ring. The introduction to Smeagol/Gollum was fantastic because not only do we have a potential villainous presence, but it sets the stakes for Frodo and the ultimate toll that the ring can take on him. The Fellowship has a very interesting and exciting arc as well. And I was riveted through every single scene involving Frodo, Sam and Gollum. Overall, I thought that the sequel backed up the visual spectacle with narrative weight, and I absolutely loved it.

SCORE - 96%

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Watched: December 3, 2017

The last installment is not only the best of the trilogy, but it might be the single greatest fantasy film I've ever seen. Everything about this film is flawless; from the characters, to the narrative, to the sequences, and everything in between. I've only watched this twice in my life, and it has shot up in my definite top 10 films of all time. (check profile for reference)

Everything that was introduced in the first film, and bettered in the second installment, is taken to emotionally satisfying extremes in this third film. The battle sequences are the best I've ever seen on screen, I still can't fathom how they pulled it off to this extent back in 2003, or how nothing has topped it yet. (although admittedly, the latest Game of Thrones season can be drawn for a fair comparison) Frodo's arc, as well as Sam's and Smeagol's, is exemplary, it ditches the lightheartedness previously shown and replaces it with grit and intensity that challenges the audience. There aren't many specifics to draw for inspection, the film, in it's entirety, is as close to perfect as you can get. It feels like a 3-hour climax (4 hours for the extended cut) were every character finds a rightful place, every bit of action is backed up with emotional resonance, every single scene elevates the narrative, and in the end delivers one of the most satisfying and beautiful endings I've ever seen on film.

SCORE - 100%

How to Train your Dragon (2010)

Watched: December 3, 2017

Dreamworks has a tendency to strike mediocrity more often than greatness, but this 2010 offering was the rare exception. I recently bought this on Blu-Ray for a Black Friday sale because I remember loving this in theaters back in 2010. I was concerned to see how my evolved critical eye would address this film after 7 years. Luckily, I still love this. I love the mythology that they built, as well as the community established in this world. I also thought the manner in which they established the roles of the dragons in this mythology was original and clever. Top all of this with a very likable protagonist, an exciting adventure and a heartwarming story, and we have Dreamworks' most inspired effort since Shrek.

SCORE - 88%

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

Watched: December 8, 2017

If you've seen any of my posts around here recently you know that I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I could sit here and talk about the impact this movie had on cinema and how it reinvented it, but everybody knows this. The characters are fantastic, the sci-fi is great, the sense of adventure is awesome and the climax is exciting. There is also something so warm and inviting about this franchise, it is so accessible and I find myself re-watching these films often. There some shots in this film that will be forever engraved in my brain. Short review, I get it, but I feel it would be counter-productive to go into pointless details, everybody knows this is fantastic.

SCORE - 95%

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Watched: December 8, 2017

This film is mostly everybody's favorite in the saga, and it is easy to see why. It took everything established in the first film, and added so much weight, not only thematically but also psychologically.

This film turned the usual "I'm good, you're bad, lets fight each other" trope and took it in a much more complex, and deeply affecting route. This film also upped the cinematography a great deal, if A New Hope delivered memorable shots, Empire delivered unforgettable ones. The entire lightsaber fight between Luke and Vader is iconic, it mixes lighting with camera placement so impeccably, it has set the example for modern filmmaking. It seems cliche to say this at this point, but the film is darker, grittier, and more intense than the first. When ever I think about what a perfect sequel should do, Empire is always one of my first draws, it expanded the universe, added layers to our characters and what their roles are, and expanded on the themes of the first film. This is my favorite Star Wars film.

SCORE - 98%

Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983)

Watched: December 9, 2017

A lot of people would be quick to address this as the black sheep of the original trilogy. While I do like the former couple a tad more, I do not believe this to be a bad film at all, in fact, it's pretty great. The first 15 minutes are a bit discouraging admittedly, it feels like entering B territory in the franchise. The movie does, however, pick up immediately in the battle on the desert. I also love Luke in this movie, however it would've been nice to have seen the progression of his character from film to film. At the end of Empire he was still a struggling Jedi finally finding his place and footing, yet this film opens to him being basically a Jedi master. Again, I think this is a great movie, I'm only focusing on the negatives because to find the positives you could easily refer to my thoughts on the other two flicks. I love the sense of adventure in this film, especially at the Ewok planet. The throne room scene is fantastic, and overall I felt like the ending was appropriate. And the way Darth Vader's arc concludes is everything, it is one of the more complex villain arcs ever on film.

SCORE - 87%

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Watched: December 9, 2017

I love this film. I know the new trilogy has become divisive, at least in the film fan community, but I stand with what I said, I think this is a fantastic film. I absolutely love Rey, she's just a very likable character, the introduction of Finn was great, BB-8 as well. This film just took me back to what I love about A New Hope, only with great new faces. Some people may criticize it for following similar story beats, but it makes me feel right at home every time I watch it. Action sequences were great, as was the introduction to Kylo Ren, who I still believe to be one of the more interesting and complex villains in recent memory. Short review, but there really isn't much I want to say, it's just a movie that makes me feel so happy and I love watching it. If anyone is interested in my thoughts in The Last Jedi, there is a longer review in my 2017 movies thread.

SCORE - 90%

Crimson Peak (2015)

Watched: December 16, 2017

I was so excited for this film 2 years ago, as this was built as Guillermo Del Toro's "next masterpiece", and if you've seen my top 10 in my profile, you know Del Toro ranks as one of my favorite directors. Suffice to say that I was somewhat disappointed in this film. While overall good and worthwhile, I wouldn't even put this near his best works. When it comes to Guillermo Del Toro directed films, one knows that above all else, the visuals will at least be great and vibrant, Gothic if you will.

This film's strongest asset, and an exemplary one at that, is just this, the visuals. I would not think twice on recommending this to anyone for the spectacular visuals alone. Every single frame shot in the house is what film was made for, just look at the trailer alone, top this all with a striking color pallet of red and white, and striking vibrancy, and you have yourself a visual masterpiece. The design of the ghosts were also great, and unlike anything I've seen. And overall, I loved Hiddleston's and Chastain's characters and performances. Where the film faults for me, is essentially in a plot that is rather thin, a very weak protagonist, and a sub-par realization of the ghosts, again they were interesting, and Del Toro tried to mix a love story, with a psychological mystery, and a ghost narrative, but I felt like he didn't link the three together as seamlessly as a director of this caliber should have.

SCORE - 65%

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Watched: December 17, 2017

If my top 10 in my profile hasn't given you a clue, I absolutely adore this film. There are no words that can even scratch the surface of the love I have for this film. Never have I seen a fairy tale told this way, never have I seen a film carry so much emotional stakes, and never have I seen a story so beautifully told.

Del Toro describes this film with the following phrase: "It's a fairy tale for adults" and this is the most accurate way to describe it. The movie presents the idea of a young girl fascinated by fairy tales, and she gets to experience her own, but this movie never makes it clear if this fantasy world is substantial, or if its merely a mental escape from her new life filled with sorrow, pain, and loss, it interweaves both so flawlessly it powers the "adventure" with so much emotional resonance. Secondly, we have a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat secondary plotline dealing with the Civil War and Captain Vidal's injurious agenda of blood, torture and power, not only does this set the stakes for some of our heroes like Ofelia and Mercedes, but it also validates this story as a mature one. Aesthetically, this film is fantastic, from the set design, to the mind-blowing monster design, it's Del Toro's most iconic. And the ending is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen in all of cinema, it just cements this as a tragic fairy tale with a bittersweet ending. This is a masterpiece.

SCORE - 100%