Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (2017)

Tools    

Christopher Nolan looks to be headed to France during World War II for his next project.

Sources tell Variety that Nolan will direct “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay as his next project. Insiders say the yet-to-be cast unknowns will lead the cast, but that Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy are in talks to join the ensemble.

Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner and wife, Emma Thomas.

The story is set during the legendary evacuation of the northern French city during WWII. Nolan and his casting department recently began testing teenagers in London for lead roles, but the director also wanted to nail down some choices for the few adult roles in the film before the holiday.

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” said Greg Silverman, president, Creative Development and Worldwide Production. “‘Dunkirk’ is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of Imax 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high-impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story.

Rylance, who received a Golden Globe nomination for “Bridge of Spies,” will next rejoin Steven Spielberg in “The BFG,” slated for 2017. He is repped by Hamilton Hodell.

Hardy, who is repped by CAA, can be seen in Fox and New Regency’s “The Revenant” while Branagh most recently helmed “Cinderella” for Disney.

http://www.variety.com/2015/film/news/chistopher-nolan-mark-rylance-movie-1201662561/

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59327591/...inkId=19951598

and Tom Hardy is in talk for the movie

Cannot wait

Obviously, I'm interested in everything Nolan chooses to do simply because he chooses to do it, but I confess to being a little let down, hearing this isn't going to be another high concept undertaking. The fact that he consistently makes those kinds of films is what I like best about him. I wonder if toning down the genre-y stuff (which has always been dumped on by critics and awards voters, relative to more straightforward stories) is his attempt to bring a statue home, or else display a bit more range. That's obviously just idle speculation, though.

Still looking forward to it, but in a very different way than I've looked forward to his other efforts.

Seems like a very peculiar release date for a straight up war movie. Feels more awards-y than summer blockbuster-y. Makes me wonder if it is indeed a straight forward war movie or if Nolan laced it with other elements. I am good either way, new Nolan movies are always a good thing.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Sounds like a film I'll totally love if it's done correctly. I'm not bothered that it's less genre than his others, I'm curious to see what he does with it. Now I loved Interstellar, but that ending was weird, and at least with a true story, he can't have it end with Matthew McConaghey lost in a book case. LOL.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Obviously, I'm interested in everything Nolan chooses to do simply because he chooses to do it, but I confess to being a little let down, hearing this isn't going to be another high concept undertaking. The fact that he consistently makes those kinds of films is what I like best about him. I wonder if toning down the genre-y stuff (which has always been dumped on by critics and awards voters, relative to more straightforward stories) is his attempt to bring a statue home, or else display a bit more range. That's obviously just idle speculation, though.

Still looking forward to it, but in a very different way than I've looked forward to his other efforts.
Same.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Look at Nolan over here trying to make the next Saving Private Ryan

Very curious to see how this turns out.
Yea I'm very curious too, don't know how much of a film you can make out of several hundred thousand soliders trapped on a beach who eventually get rescued. It's Nolan though and he wouldn't have done it if he didn't have an interesting story.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Looks like a movie. But it might be a film, I can't tell.
Wrong! It's a motion picture!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I literally been waiting for this for a long long time, finally a big British war movie made by a talented director, I am expecting something epic

Yea I'm very curious too, don't know how much of a film you can make out of several hundred thousand soliders trapped on a beach who eventually get rescued. It's Nolan though and he wouldn't have done it if he didn't have an interesting story.
What the ****, I can tell you there is a lot more to it than that, many stayed behind and fought to the last man to aid the miraculous evacuation, for every seven soldiers who escaped Dunkirk, one man was left behind as prisoner of war

68,000 soldiers were lost, 9 destroyers were sunk, along with 9 other major vessels and over 200 British and Allied sea craft, the RAF lost 145 aircraft, of which at least 42 were Spitfires while the Luftwaffe lost 156 aircraft in operations in the nine days of Operation Dynamo. Yeah not much of a story to be told, and that doesn't even touch the surface.. the events at Dunkirk remain a prominent memory in the United Kingdom and there are countless extraordinary stories to be told

What we need is another film showing American GI joes winning the war single handed is what is needed, there isn't nearly enough of those right! (OH WAIT, YOU WASN'T IN THE WAR YET, NOT FOR ANOTHER YEAR, YOU WAS SAT AT HOME TWIDDLING YOUR THUMBS)

As for Harry Styles, I frowned a little at first but I will withhold judgement until I see it, I think it was a bold move and styles isn't a bad lad, despite the **** music he puts out, there is something about him. I really see no problem with it, Nolan must see something in him also