Great performances against type?

Tools    

Which actors have given great performances that are generally considered against type?
Has Tom Hanks ever portrayed a serial killer for example?

A couple spring to mind, Robin Williams in One hour photo. I had only ever seen him in comedies and was very surprised at how good he was in One hour photo.

Another was Christopher Reeve, I know he had played characters that may not be the nicest of people (Deathtrap, Above Suspicion) but I was very surprised to see him in a film called 'Bump in the night' where he plays a child molester.

I've actually been thinking about doing one of my lists on this subject. Robin Williams in One Hour Photo is a great example...I guess Charlize Theron in Monster would be another.

Which actors have given great performances that are generally considered against type?
Has Tom Hanks ever portrayed a serial killer for example?

A couple spring to mind, Robin Williams in One hour photo. I had only ever seen him in comedies and was very surprised at how good he was in One hour photo.

Another was Christopher Reeve, I know he had played characters that may not be the nicest of people (Deathtrap, Above Suspicion) but I was very surprised to see him in a film called 'Bump in the night' where he plays a child molester.

I'll second Christopher Reeve in Deathtrap

Sylvestar Stallone

Benedict cumberbatch