Was Brie Larson and Gal Godot, thanking Sigourney Weaver, weird?

Tools    

I can't image that the producers didn't care if the lead was a man or a woman. That stuff matters to producers for ticket sales, especially back in 1979. Do you have a link to prove that none of the film maker's cared?
I'd imagine that was a major decision that they probably did a lot of research on.

Just the usual trivia: John Byrne (an artist on the X-Men) based his drawings of Kitty Pryde on Sigourney Weaver and even did an X-Men comic released in 1981 where Kitty alone battles a demonic monster in a story that was an obvious homage to Alien (1979).

A bucket of anxiety
I can't image that the producers didn't care if the lead was a man or a woman. That stuff matters to producers for ticket sales, especially back in 1979. Do you have a link to prove that none of the film maker's cared?
I read it on Wikipedia. I know it's not a great source but it says that the idea was mostly centered around the alien and the main concern for casting was to basically get people who already knew what they were doing so they could put more focus into the atmosphere. It seemed believable enough. A lot of actors and actresses end up in roles they never should've gotten just based on the fact they could play the part.

It also says they didn't even write backstories for the characters until it was time to do the casting.

I read it on Wikipedia. I know it's not a great source but it says that the idea was mostly centered around the alien and the main concern for casting was to basically get people who already knew what they were doing so they could put more focus into the atmosphere. It seemed believable enough. A lot of actors and actresses end up in roles they never should've gotten just based on the fact they could play the part.

It also says they didn't even write backstories for the characters until it was time to do the casting.
Thanks Ami. I like Sigourney, but can't spell her name (wait a minute I just checked and I did spell it right, it's my spell check that's wrong, ha!)

If I was going to give credit for the roles Larson and Godot played, I'd say the credit goes to George Lucas and Star Wars. Without Star Wars we wouldn't have all of these fantasy-action, thrill ride type movies.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Back to point, you can't really argue thanking a hypothetical as if reality didn't happen. History played out the way it did affecting cinema, perception, and a growing equality of accessibility. Sure, had history not gone the path that it did then something else inevitably would have taken that role. But it did. Otherwise, burn our history books and thank your neighbor for having the potential for inventing penicillin... Five years from now.

Now really back to the point. The Oscars have been and are now, often about making some political/social statement. Maybe Brie Larson and Gal Goldot should've thanked movie goers for choosing to see a bunch of silly superhero movies. Marty and Matt were right about the current state of Hollywood movies.