Is Hollywood afraid of the female form nowadays?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't mean nudity, it's just lately it seems in movies, that actresses are being chosen more of they are very skinny and not voluptuous at all, compared to older movies.

The Bond women seem more skinny and flat now compared to before it seems. I was watching Desperado, and noticed how voluptuous Salma Hayek was and was thinking, you never see a female character in movies today, that looks that voluptuous in the body.

But that's just a couple of examples, and there are others, I'm seeing. It's almost as if Hollywood is afraid or ashamed of a woman having womanly features that stick out so they feel they have to either conceal it more, or just hire skinnier actresses.

Not sure if this is going on with the male form as well, but I haven't noticed a change there, just the female form it seems. I mean as far as male action stars, go, you could argue they are not as muscular as before for example, but not sure if this is part of the same trend. It seems to be happening a lot more with Hollywood being not comfortable with the female body as much as before.

Unless I'm wrong?

Weird is relative.
Maybe there are just more naturally skinny women nowadays? :P Or actresses feel pressured to maintain a certain look.

I also see a lot of "chubby" women in major roles.

So people who look like Marilyn Monroe... where they aren't super skinny, nor chubby, but have curves, perhaps there aren't as many of them anymore.

Hmm well I mentioned how no actress nowadays seems be as voluptuous as Salma Hayek, or at least none of the new big names. You just don't see any Jane Russell types being cast anymore.

I don't think it has do with women looking different nowadays though. I see women all the time, and I feel that the casting directors, would have be picking the skinniest, flattest ones intentionally.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Desperado is a very specific movie within a very specific period of movies in which certain cast members were quite popular.

I watched Commando the other day and noticed Schwarzenegger was a very large and muscular man. I was thinking you don't see many large and masculine men in movies anymore like Stalone in Rambo. I wonder if Hollywood is trying to feminize that heroic male physique?

It's all anecdotal.

I was also thinking this for male as well, but maybe a lot of actors do not want to be bodybuilders, or are they actually being rejected for being too muscular? One who has gotten away with it is Dwayne Johnson, but hardly any others it seems now.

Hmm well I mentioned how no actress nowadays seems be as voluptuous as Salma Hayek, or at least none of the new big names. You just don't see any Jane Russell types being cast anymore.
So your answer is no. No, you don't have any examples to give.

Well what's wrong with Hayek and Russell as examples? Which kind of examples were you looking for?

Well what's wrong with Hayek and Russell as examples? Which kind of examples were you looking for?
Movies with "skinny and flat" women. You say there's no "voluptuous" women in Hollywood anymore. I haven't noticed any such trend. So name popular movies that you think demonstrate that Hollywood is "afraid of the female form."

Oh well as far as modern movies go, I mean where do I start. I mean most of them seem to cast non-voluptuous women it seems.

Random example off the top of my head, the new actress in the new Tomb Raider movie, is not as voluptuous as the previous Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider, nor is she as voluptious as the video game animated depiction from back then.

In fact, even the animated Lara Croft is less voluptuous now in the games, compared to the original games, so there definitely some kind of movement going on here it seems.

Oh well as far as modern movies go, I mean where do I start. I mean most of them seem to cast non-voluptuous women it seems.

Random example off the top of my head, the new actress in the new Tomb Raider movie, is not as voluptuous as the previous Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider, nor is she as voluptious as the video game animated depiction from back then.
I'd say more actresses today have larger breast thanks to breast augmentation surgery, than they did years ago. However in the 80s and 90s you'd see mainstream movies that would zoom in for close ups on actresses asses and cleavage. Films today, don't seem to do that as much. I'd guess it's because the producers are afraid it would look like women are being treated as objects in their movie. I was surprised when I watch The Mule (2018) it had plenty of t & a close ups, just like films use to be. That's probably because of old man Clint Eastwood, but I'm not complaining

Oh okay I didn't think they closed up on them I was going by regular master shots and over the shoulder shots, of the actresses.

As far as actresses having surgery to make their breasts larger, are their any examples of any actresses doing this nowadays?

As far as actresses having surgery to make their breasts larger, are their any examples of any actresses doing this nowadays?
I don't have an example but I heard it was plenty common. Meghan Markle who was an actress had her breast implants removed when she married and became a royal.

Oh did she have implants when she was in Suits then?

You mean a real life woman is not as voluptuous as a CG video game character designed by men? Surely you jest.

Tomb Raider isn't exactly my cup of tea so I had to watch the trailer to know what you're talking about. The actress they cast is neither skinny nor flat. She has an athletic build - you know, a body that might actually be capable of doing all the running/jumping etc. that the character does - but she's still looks very much like a woman.

Also, speaking as a woman, big boobs bounce around and are uncomfortable - even painful - to have when doing these things. That's why sports bras exist - to flatten and secure the damn things down.

I guess, but since when do action characters worry about proper get up. Rambo doesn't wear much for a shirt in Rambo 2 and 3, and his hair is long for going through barb wire fences. So I thought they could take artistic license with being voluptuous today, as well.

I guess, but since when do action characters worry about proper get up. Rambo doesn't wear much for a shirt in Rambo 2 and 3, and his hair is long for going through barb wire fences. So I thought they could take artistic license with being voluptuous today, as well.
How exactly does a woman's body type equate with what Rambo wore or how he did his hair? We're not talking about her "get up," we're talking about her body. Big breasts, assuming they're not prosthetic, are full of fat. Athletic bodies tend to be low in fat, ergo athletic women tend to have smaller breasts. If Stallone was running around with a bubble butt and man boobs, would he be believable as Rambo?

Oh well the debate was that a woman wants to tuck her breasts in for combat, so I thought well heroes do things all the time that aren't combat smart, like Rambo, so why should tucking in breasts be an exception to the rule? Bad analogy I guess .

Oh well the debate was that a woman wants to tuck her breasts in for combat, so I thought well heroes do things all the time that aren't combat smart, like Rambo, so why should tucking in breasts be an exception to the rule? Bad analogy I guess .

I didn't talk about sports bras or "tucking in" breasts (dude, what? That's not how breasts work) in relation to the depiction of Lara Croft. I was talking about why a body like the ridiculously exaggerated one in the original game wouldn't be found on a woman who would actually be capable of doing what she does.