Make Your Picks

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Marriage Story (2019)

Emotional trip with a couple navigating the way through divorce for the best of their kid and handling east and west coast work responsibilities. The cast did well and, I don't think, it ever resorted to schmaltz as other films about the subject matter can do. Simple, Universal tale and very well told and acted.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Legend in my own mind
I loved this film

Superhero movies are like a bad addiction. I don't want to, I know it's not good for me but I can't help it. Eventually the cravings are too much and I give in. Not a big fan of the kids "trapped" in an adult body or vice-versa films so right off the bat I was wary and it went about like I expected. At least it didn't try to be a heavy movie although that may have been hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Čudotvorni Mač (1950) - 55/100
So I went on a search for more good yugoslav movies... this one's not terrible but it lacks the x-factor of a good fairy tale movie

Three Identical Strangers (2018)

Another night, another brilliant documentary. The story about the triplets is compelling enough, but then it introduces another discussion piece about free will, nature vs nurture, etc

H&K MP5 deserves more praise.

★★

Excellent setting and performance (Viggo rocks as usually). The film could have been great, every corner has potential, but even if the human being in the world is in a very sad condition, the film brings something happy as soon as something bad happens. A bad way to portray how a situation like this could affect our race.

★★★★
This is one of those films that doesn't care about stereotypes, David Ayer grew up on streets like those in the film, it was his reality. The film has a very bad moment, when the bad guys goes full Scooby-Doo villain mode and explain some elements of his plan, honestly, the film could take more time and explain it in a more inconvenient way, or don't explain at all... Keanu looks great in this movie, the man knows how to pull the trigger, are you listening Denzel?

★★★
What the f*** I just watched? I believe there is no hidden meaning to this, it's just Lynch having fun, and I'm totally fine with that. Lmao with that ending.

"You've got....the bite"
A woman gets bit by a bug while on her bachelorette vacation. When she gets home she starts showing signs of becoming whatever bit her. Very similar to Cronenberg's The Fly but not nearly as good. In all fairness I have never had any friends turn into a bug so I can't really say that the characters acted stupid but they sure seemed to act stupid. There's a lot of body horror which usually gets under my skin but this is mostly just heaving up some Karo syrup and caviar. It's not boring just not that great.

H&K MP5 deserves more praise.
@Ultraviolence only two stars for The Road? Ouch... I liked that movie.
Honestly, it can improve in a future rewatch.
WARNING: "Road" spoilers below
The film at least had the balls not trying to explain the incident or giving it a TWD treatment of hope. But it fails badly in all those 'happy things', specially in the ending. Just after his dad died, another family puped out of nowhere. Looks like they where following they for... no reason... oh yeah, the mom was worried about the strange kid. XD, not a good or bad movie, but an interesting one imo.

Unregistered User
The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) -

The Dead Don't Die (2019) -

Marianne and Leonard (2019) -

The Man who Killed Hitler and then Bigfoot (2019) -

Honestly, it can improve in a future rewatch.
WARNING: "Road" spoilers below
The film at least had the balls not trying to explain the incident or giving it a TWD treatment of hope. But it fails badly in all those 'happy things', specially in the ending. Just after his dad died, another family puped out of nowhere. Looks like they where following they for... no reason... oh yeah, the mom was worried about the strange kid. XD, not a good or bad movie, but an interesting one imo.
I think I gave it three and a half stars. I thought for the themes it had originality, and I liked the gritty aesthetic. It seemed more realistic than most in terms of that kind of apocalyptic scenario, the way they delt with food and survival. I probably wouldn't have ended it that way either.
WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
A little cliche in the happy ending sort of way like you say, but not that strange that another family popped up.

I just think it's a bit harsh to drop it below average just for that, but if that's how you feel about it that's totally fine.

When the dead start singing (1998) - 80/100
Surprisingly solid, both as a chase thriller, a comedy and a war drama. I got lots of North by Northwest vibes from the first half

Hollow (2014)

A Vietnamese horror film about a little girl who falls in the river and is thought dead. Obviously she's brought back home and as obviously there's something wrong with her. Kind of a possession film with a twist. Some stuff feels odd but it's probably due to my lack of knowledge in the local culture. I'm not a fan of the twist and writing leaves characters quite hollow (pun intended). The little girl does a good job and acting, in general, isn't bad. It's just quite a dull movie.

1917: 9/10
The Hateful Eight: same rating