Miller's Crossing

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Picked this up last night, and will be watching tonight. I have heard many good things about it and hopefully some folks will be up for talking about it tomorrow.

_S

Are you going to actually review it tomorrow?

I'm not trying to be a stickler...ok, yes I am. We had a discussion about tightening the forum content up. What you posted belongs in General Movie discussion. If you are going to review it, i.e. 300+ words describing your impressions of the film I'll leave the thread here for you to do so on. If you are just going to ask opinions on the film then this needs to be moved to general.

See the two sticky's on the top of this forum for guidance.

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Are you going to actually review it tomorrow?

I'm not trying to be a stickler...ok, yes I am. We had a discussion about tightening the forum content up. What you posted belongs in General Movie discussion. If you are going to review it, i.e. 300+ words describing your impressions of the film I'll leave the thread here for you to do so on. If you are just going to ask opinions on the film then this needs to be moved to general.

See the two sticky's on the top of this forum for guidance.

Ya sorry holmes...

Slide this over to general if you don't mind.

thanks

S

It was beauty killed the beast.
It's one of the Coens's better films. A twisting plot, quirky characters, great dialogue, and a nice visual style add up to make this film one hell of a blast to watch.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Picked this up last night, and will be watching tonight. I have heard many good things about it and hopefully some folks will be up for talking about it tomorrow.

_S
I grew up in South Tucson, AZ in the 70's/80's. I call a lot of people holmes

If Kong likes the film, and thinks it is one of the Coen's best, I think I will like it a lot.

I think this is Joel & Ethan's best film to date, their masterpiece among masterpieces, a really wonderful film, and I've raved about it many, many times on this board (do a search, why don'tchya?). I've seen it dozens and dozens of times, plus the "Danny Boy" assassination attempt at Leo's in the middle of the movie probably another hundred times on its own, absorbing every detail and nuance - an absolutely perfect eight minutes of film.

I love the whole blasted thing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Still the one Coen picture I constantly "need to see again" so as that I can "give it another go".

A novel adaptation.
I often wish I could see the appeal of it, because it keeps coming off to me as undistinguishably good amongst the work of the Coens.

I don't know, I should probably see it six or seven more times before I form any solid opinion of it.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I think this is Joel & Ethan's best film to date, their masterpiece among masterpieces, a really wonderful film, and I've raved about it many, many times on this board (do a search, why don'tchya?). I've seen it dozens and dozens of times, plus the "Danny Boy" assassination attempt at Leo's in the middle of the movie probably another hundred times on its own, absorbing every detail and nuance - an absolutely perfect eight minutes of film.

Ditto, a brilliant movie, it almost kicks The Big Lebowski off my favourite of theirs, but, its just too funny. I love all of the coens work I've seen to date.

So, Sedai, did you ever get a chance to watch Miller's Crossing?

Even if you didn't like it, surely no movie from Joel and Ethan could leave you without an impression of some kind?

Again, Sedai: what were your first impressions of Miller's Crossing?

HELLO! SEDAI!?!?! IS THERE ANYBODY IN THERE?

Ya

the reason I haven't posted any thoughts yet is because I just haven't had a time where my girlfriend and I can sit down to watch it, I'll post as soon as I watch it

S

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I picked up this movie The Matrix.

I heard it was the greatest film in cinematic history.

I'll be watching sometime in the future.

I got a chance to sit down and check this movie out over the weekend.

After a nice 10 minute grace period needed to get into the lingo of the film, I was off and running with this prohabition era gangster film. The costumes were spot on for the genre and the characters were great. The assasination attempt at Leo's. which another poster pointed out, was just stellar. I will watch that scene many times more I am sure. There was another sequence with a fireplace shovel that was filmed in a most excellent way that is still stuck in my mind. There is a shot with Casper against some flames in the background, right as he is about to go off and smack eddie with the shovel that was burned into my brain and will always come to mind when I think of the movie.

I meant to do some research into the whole hat theme they use throughout the film. I know there is some metaphor there, and I have speculated as to what it was, but I want to get into the bros mind and see where they were coming from.

_Sedai

My husband and I both love "Millers Crossing" I didn't like it the first time, but with each veiwing I grew to love it.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

The last scene in MC is very important as it's the greatest hint at the major twist in the film. There is a very real reason Tom did everything he did, hint: It wasn't Verna.

Finished here. It's been fun.
great film, for some reason this is one of the least talked about Coen Brother films. I think its fantastic.

great film, for some reason this is one of the least talked about Coen Brother films. I think its fantastic.
You're definitely right about that. I think another underrated film of theirs is Barton Fink.

A lot of people miss a major plot element as it's subtle and very easy to miss.