Cuarón vs. Iñárritu vs. del Toro

Tools    

Who is the best Mexican director of all time?

Cuarón: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men, Gravity
Iñárritu: Birdman, The Revenant
del Toro: Pan's Labyrinth, The Shape of Water

Who is the best Mexican director of all time?
Luis Buñuel
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
All 3 best friends, all 3 about to be Oscar winning directors.

Suspect's Reviews

ok but Bunuel was Spain Spanish and not Mexican Spanish... there is a difference

He was born in Calanda, Teruel, Spain

my opinion

del Toro.. (born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico)

lets see

Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Mimic
Blade II
Hellboy
Hellboy II
Pan's Labyrinth
Pacific Rim
Crimson Peak
The Shape of Water

Bunuel did renounce his Spanish citizenship later in life so i understand people calling him Mexican. Still i think it takes away from directors Mexico actually produced. Bunuel didn't move to Mexico until he was in his 40's, plus as well as his impact on Mexican Cinema he made a big impact on Spanish and French Cinema.

I don't think I could give a fair answer, as I've seen more del Toro movies than Cuaron and Iñarritu. I do have a favorite from what I have seen of their stuff, though:

Cuaron: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (best HP movie, if you ask me)

del Toro: Pan's Labyrinth (though Hellboy's pretty close)

Iñarritu: Birdman (though this is the only Iñarritu movie I've ever seen)

From what I've seen right now, Del Toro. Cuaron is good, but Del Toro has much more imagination and love for genre fare so that wins it over for me.

Inarritu is overrated for me. I'm still bitter Birdman won over Boyhood. Still.

I think Del Toro may be the director that has the filmography that doesn't match the praise he gets the most. I like him a lot too so i'm not counting myself out of that. Not sure what that is but i really don't think he has a great body of work, yet he's regularly on best director lists and stuff.

I think Del Toro may be the director that has the filmography that doesn't match the praise he gets the most. I like him a lot too so i'm not counting myself out of that. Not sure what that is but i really don't think he has a great body of work, yet he's regularly on best director lists and stuff.
I sorta agree, while simultaneously understanding the praise. I think his ideas are excellent, and he weaves mythology effortlessly, but the actual execution usually shortchanges the concepts.

With Del Toro, I get the feeling of limitless potential, and can't shake the idea that one day he'll put out a film worthy of his boundless creativity (if he hasn't already; Pan's Labyrinth might be an exception to what I'm talking about).

I sorta agree, while simultaneously understanding the praise. I think his ideas are excellent, and he weaves mythology effortlessly, but the actual execution usually shortchanges the concepts.

With Del Toro, I get the feeling of limitless potential, and can't shake the idea that one day he'll put out a film worthy of his boundless creativity (if he hasn't already; Pan's Labyrinth might be an exception to what I'm talking about).
Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourite films and probably the main reason he carries so much favour with me. Thing is though, he's in his mid 50's and is very inconsistent to say the least, you'd think people would be more critical of him but he seems to get more of a pass than most. It will be his potential as you say because i agree with that myself.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't feel comfortable deciding between the first two, honestly. But I feel comfortable that Del Toro isn't in the same league as them.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
I hated Gravity, but Children of Men and Y Tu Mama Tambien totally redeemed Cuaron in my mind.

Only seen Birdman and Revenant from Inarritu, they're both masterful in their own ways.

From del Torro, I don't know him as much as I would like. I wasn't too big on Shape of Water, but I thought Pan's Labyrinth was a masterpiece and Pacific Rim was some good, dumb fun.