The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

Y: The Last Man - [i]Cycles

The story develops more here, with knowledge of the last man's existence spreading across the world like wildfire..
Also read that the other day.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Marvel Apes #1 (#1 of 5)

Dude. C'mon, Apes!

Criminal vol 2. #4 (Bad Night: 1 of 4)

Criminal is the best comic book on the shelves today.

Venom: Dark Origin #1 (1 of 5)

I've been interested in this for a long while now, I finally just broke down and got it. It was good enough, and I'm still interested.

Jonah Hex #35 (? of ?)

I got this for my cousin who really likes cowboys. Haven't read it and don't plan too.

Criminal: Coward (Collection)

Again, best book being put on the shelves today.

Well I just reread Punisher: Kitchen Irish. Good stuff, no seriously:

As for Watchmen, I'm not quite done yet, but so far it isn't that great.

Kingdom Come (collection)

A guy just reccomended this to me because I'm new to comics and need to expand my horizons, just by the cover the art looks fantastic!

Punisher #62 (Girls in White Dresses pt. 2)

I love the Punisher. Although the artist is relying too much on shadows and I hope that he is replaced, soon.

Marvel Apes (Pt. 2 of 4)

Call me crazy, but I thought this was great fun. With a twist that is good enough to keep me interested.

Justice Society of America ( ? of ?)

Again, same guy different reccomendation. I'll see how it goes with me knowing next to nothing of JSA.

Laugh if you will, but I just reread the Archie comic where Moose gets his arse whooped by Jug over food. Good stuff yeah.

Laugh if you will, but I just reread the Archie comic where Moose gets his arse whooped by Jug over food. Good stuff yeah.
Archie's cool.

Kingdom Come

Mark Waid • Alex Ross
There are certain things I don't like in superhero comic books, one being tights, the other being that certain Superheroes can't die. So to put it lightly, I never liked Superman, Batman was the bee's knees during my childhood, Wonder Woman I never payed attention to, The Flash was just a fast dude, I thought there was only one Green Lantern, and he was black, and finally, I only thought WTF for this not human guy. For you keeping count at home that 1 for 6 in the Original Justice League. So what were the odds of me liking Kingdom Come? Well, I'm not pulling an A in that category, but I'd say slim to none.

Slim won over, I simply loved this. Think of it, a next gen of DC superheroes, they start to fight each other and not care about human lives caught in the middle. Who can stop them and teach them truth, justice and the American way? Well it ain't gonna be Superman, he's been in self-exile for 10 years now after the Joker massacres The Daily Planet Staff (including Lois Lane.) Then to further things, Superman hears about a new hero named Magog, who just flat-out kills Joker while he's in custody. A trial ensues, when Magog gets away Superman runs to his Fortress of Solitude. That is until he is called back in action.

The writing is what shows here, Superman is a little less super and more on the man. He makes mistakes, can't save some people, and nearly dies a whole lot of time, that's what made me not hate him. I was able to relate more to him in this fashion then any other version, because let's face it, we've all made mistakes, and if a bomb was about to fall I probably couldn't save anyone, there people would probably die too.

The art isn't outdone however , for a book that has major religious influences and magical elements, the artwork is, divine. I would say this was my favorite part but the writing did miracles.

So, what were y'all's thoughts?

The Punisher #55- #60 (Valley Forge, Valley Forge)

I am trying to get all the story arcs before the new movie comes out... 6 down, 3? to go. I haven't begun to read this yet, I will tonight, can't wait.

DEADPOOL #2

Deadpool #1 was good and the preview for this got me really interested.

PUNISHER: MAX #43-46 (Part of Widowmaker)

Sure, my store had the Widowmker TPB but I find back issues a lot more fun to own.

My Name is Bruce (one-shot)

I love Bruce Campbell he is just the bees knees, yeah I'm bringing that phrase back.

I'm not old, you're just 12.

So, what were y'all's thoughts?
I loved Kingdom Come. It's absolutely one of the best DC comics I've ever read. Since you liked that, I will reccomend to you The Golden Age By James Robinson (one of my all time favourite comics writers). The two stories seem like bookends, really, The Golden Age begins with an atomic explosion and Kingdom come ends with one, together they seem to be part of a larger story about the rise and fall of the "super hero" concept. I suppose that Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier could be seen as the second act, but I haven't finished that yet, so I can't say. But yeah, The Golden Age is brilliant, very dense reading, but also very rewarding, I'd say.

I'm currently reading:

All Star Superman Volume 1 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly. This is probably the best Superman book in decades. The writers get the character exactly right, the storyline is wildly creative and moving, and the artwork is fantastic and very detailed. I am impatiently waiting for Volume 2.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A system of cells interlinked

As for Watchmen, I'm not quite done yet, but so far it isn't that great.
Yes, it is THAT great.

Glad you liked Kingdom come! One of my favorite comics, ever.

Monkey, I am going to check out both books you mentioned recently, because you seem to have fantastic taste in comics...

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Ok so I've been lacking on the comics department! Yes sad I know. I started reading Sandman and it's very dark....Sedai has some comics that blew me away....art work is sick as well as the story!
That Southland Tales comic looks really good have to put that on the list!!!

Hey Sedai, you have to check out City of Dust. I've never seen all of Blade Runner (don't yell!) but from what I have seen COD feels like it.

Remember that's City of Dust, cover price $3.99. Really good, get it.

CITY OF DUST (Part 1 of 5)

STEVE NILES • ZID
Currently looking at this book, in my box with my other collection, I'm not sure why I was drawn to this. For one, I'm not a usual a 'thinking comic book' type of guy (for God's sake I own Marvel Apes!) What can I say, if I wanted to think I might actually read a real book, or take suggestions on what to read seriously. Maybe it was just the badass looking cover.

Anyway, this book starts off in a cliche'd way. A young couple goes down to 'The Lower Levels' a place where they probably shouldn't and go figure, they die. I'm not saying cliche'd is bad, hell two of my favorite shows follow basically the same formula every episode (House and Scooby Doo.) They can work with great writing. After this mysterious killing, we meet Phil Khrome, a cop in a future society filled with flying cars, jetpacks, and where creativity is stircly (hint: DEATH) forbidden.

This book works because of Niles' (of the 30 Days of I've-never-read comic book) writing. Niles transports us into that future society, with an interesting lead character and a great dilema. But his panel display is what really gets me. Look at the full page sex scene and tell me that's not a great display. Even if the panel display and writing is great, Zid (a cool-named artist with probably some books I've never heard of) does an even better job at drawing.

Zid (God, that is a badass name) does indeed pencil, ink, and color, very well. His .

Rating:
A good beginning to what could be a GREAT title.

I'd just like to jump on the Y - The last man train. I've never read comics, not even as a kid, but this stuff is just fantastic . I've also downloaded Watchmen, so that's next in line...I'll probably keep coming back to this thread so thanks for all the recommendations...

I think you'll be pleased with Watchmen. My favorite graphic novel....

It's so incredibly, meticulously written it might be difficult to gauge it with other graphic novels. I think graphic novels are becoming more and more intelligent with the times. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you read Black Hole and Maus -- you might be surprised.