The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh, I saw the peak and figured I had to head there... but why? And clicking either left or right buttons lifts me into the air in some sense. I'll keep plowing away at it, since THREE of you here love this game.

Why? Because it's there. It's a Journey to be had.

I guess that's kinda it: if you see a shining peak in the distance, you're either curious about getting there or not. If you're not, then maybe it's not for you.

No, I AM curious. It's the mechanics as I head there that seem unclear. But I'm willing to give it more time. A half hour doesn't seem like enough time to make a full judgment.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
One button leaps into the air to fly around, assuming your scarf has at least one lit rune. You fly for as long as you have light. The longer you hold this button, the longer you fly, assuming you have one lit rune at least.

The other button activates you light ping. The longer you hold THAT button, the more a charge you create, and the wider the radius is of your light ping sphere. This radius can activate triggers to reveal things if you find them. It can also refill OTHER players' scarves! If they ping YOU in turn, your scarf refills. The longer the charge, the more of a fill. Short charges will only fill one or two runes.

Flying I don't think is necessary. Maybe be. So far I can reach end of levels mostly just walking around. But it's more fun to fly if I can. Some hidden icons to extend your scarf may require flight. It's an Easter egg hunt as far as I can tell. Don't stress about refilling your scarf. Walk it till everything makes more sense.

For me, the fun is the fluidity of it all. The sliding down dunes, spinningng and twirling when I jump, and the gorgeous landscape and soundtrack.

More Journey! Pimping. I found someone else to play with and discovered a few new icons as a result. A bit later we finally synced up to keep each other in flight for extended periods of time.

I had actually started over. Good thing, too. I get more what those glyph cut scenes seem to be, and I'm seeing features buried in the sand that I believe are the dead creatures that appear in a level after this. I'm very curious if any of the narrative is answered later, but this is minimal stuff on first run through.

Very lovely game that I would bet only opens more the more it's replayed.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Still seeing this through an absolutely trippy VR lense, and not really able to share details because SPOILERS, but um, have some thought anyway

Trip Report: Outer Wilds

This is just so ******* awesome. But unfortunately there's no way to discuss that without spoilers...

WARNING: spoilers below
Was sliding and hopping around the tiny icy comet when I suddenly found myself sucked into space towards sounds of terrifying fury. Turns out the comet had completed its close pass near the sun, and the giant gravity source had nearly yanked me into its maw. I managed to slam the jetpack on in time, suspended between worlds for a heart-wrenching moment, before rustically guiding myself back to the comet, cushioning the landing just enough to avoid breaking all of my bones. Both terrifying and awesome

Loving the use of curving 'magnetic' floors, the wild storms of the water planet, the honeycombs of knowledge in the architectural ruins. I've still got far too many plans on the back of a postcard to tick off. But it's all working out just fine. If the inertia of my path takes me past an intended spot, there's always another delight revealed in its shadow, another place nearby I've been meaning to get back to...

Some handy tips for any future VR users though:
  • There's a 'mesh' in the system map which denotes where you're focusing. You can use that to select a specific body. And then even auto-pilot into its orbit if you fancy, once back in the ship. (Although it's not perfect, and watch out for any bodies on the flight path )
  • The little 'record players' which can be translated have multiple entries. (Right stick on rift to select). I totally missed that at first... Was just reading the first line and moving on :/

I have absolutely no problem revisiting every little site though. Because it's not revealing too much to say that this little clockwork orrery has really made each location a unique mix of environments and challenges...

(VR legs definitely required for some of the smaller bodies which whizz and spin through the solar system with wild delight, holding onto you with only the lightest of gravitational touches . But that's almost half the fun )

^^ I parked in a tree and that's fine ^^

the photo kinda reminds me of no mans sky
It's got a similar indie lick to the looks yeah. But they just went for one solar system, and packed it with mysteries instead

oh my did they, is it on psvr or is it on quest vr thingy?
It's on PC & console, but no official VR support. (I'm playing via an excellent VR mod someone made for it )

Any PS5 users out here that have or are eying great games or system exclusive games that are above and beyond the standard? Enough to convince a PS4 user to move up? For example, I ended up with the PS4 due to a Red Dead Redemption bundle + a $50 Game Stop gift certificate years a go. Games that I would have bought this system for include Ghost of Tsushima and CONTROL.

I see a game floating around called Stray that looks interesting, but not enough to upgrade. Ghosts might look better on PS5, but I'm doing good with the 4th gen. Any others? I have been out of the marketing loop for a while.

Does the PS5 have a video record app that DOESN'T skip seconds of gameplay randomly? Was that fixed at least with the next gen?

I'll probably keep posting this every few months until someone convinces me or I just leap back into the PC world. Not really interested in that unless there's a great RTS somewhere. Or maybe VR but that's still low on my priority list.

=\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

It's on PC & console, but no official VR support. (I'm playing via an excellent VR mod someone made for it )
what the name of the game called again?, oh okay hoping for it release for psvr. that really cool

@Sedai
@Austruck

Guys. I just finished Journey and ....I think I may cry.

Such a simple and elegant play through. That ending.... Wow. Just beautiful. Three nights at maybe an hour per session. There were no obligations other than finding the gateway to the next level. Even if you miss something or take some form of damage, you're not out anything if you just keep moving forward, which is the theme of this all. REALLY great stuff. I'm not sure I've been so moved by an abstraction of a game. And the random companions!! It's just so sweet and near perfect.

Austruck? You HAVE to finish this game!!

@Sedai
@Austruck

Austruck? You HAVE to finish this game!!
Umm... I have to kinda START this game!

I tried again. I'm not sure what I don't like about this game so far. Maybe it's that endless desert landscape. I don't find it interesting. It doesn't make me curious. And frankly, some of that white-flashing-light stuff seems a little too New Agey/zen to me. (Not a fan of any of that stuff.)

BUT, since you and Seds and Yoda all vouch for it, I'll keep trying. Without your mentioning it, though, I would have just said "Meh" and moved on ages ago. Something isn't clicking for me. It feels like whenever I try to watch "The Wire" series. That hasn't clicked yet, either.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Oh yes. The generation of people that try to cram the Wire down one’s gullet. The best “Wire” from that time period was clearly “Through the Wire”.

Oh yeah. Ummm. Still can’t find a PS5. Games.

Umm... I have to kinda START this game!

I tried again. I'm not sure what I don't like about this game so far. Maybe it's that endless desert landscape. I don't find it interesting. It doesn't make me curious. And frankly, some of that white-flashing-light stuff seems a little too New Agey/zen to me. (Not a fan of any of that stuff.)

BUT, since you and Seds and Yoda all vouch for it, I'll keep trying. Without your mentioning it, though, I would have just said "Meh" and moved on ages ago. Something isn't clicking for me. It feels like whenever I try to watch "The Wire" series. That hasn't clicked yet, either.

OMG YOU HAVE TO FINISH THE WIRE!?!?!!? OMGALEVENTY-LEVEN!!!1!11!1!!!111111

OMG YOU HAVE TO FINISH THE WIRE!?!?!!? OMGALEVENTY-LEVEN!!!1!11!1!!!111111

Umm... I have to START "The Wire."

I think I actually did watch about six episodes way back when everyone was first raving about it. But I'd have to start over if I tried to get into it YET AGAIN.

Just don't tell me you haven't finished Bowie's Labyrinth.

o.O
Okay, I won't.

I did, however, see Bowie in concert in the '90s. I went for the opening act, though: NIN.

And yay games!