Heroes

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I'm not reading the latest spoiler posts yet, haven't watched the last episode, but YES, it's worth watching.

it is a baby X-Files. I'm sorry, I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried, get into Lost. I think because it's a continual microcosm of "why people do what they do, and why those things are sometimes bad for other people, but good for the people that do them anyway" (if you get my drift).

X-files was far more complex and subtle, with more layers of unconscious meaning that you could peel back and contemplate for hours on end. Heroes is not nearly that complex - you know exactly what people are doing, and generally know why, or what urged them to do it. Even if you don't know right away you figure it out within the episode, and any far-reaching story line across episodes was far grander and multi-layered than what's happening in Heroes so far.

That being said, it is the NEW X-Files. the world is capable of making better, but we're just not getting that right now, so I am thrilled to have SOMETHING. This is like a B+, if X-Files is an A. Of course, the show turned into D material at the end, but I mean X-FIles at its best, it's genesis.

So yes, anyone who hasn't started it - watch the marathon. YOu may find yourself impatient with some people's milked storylines - I agree that the Nikki/Jessica and DL plotline is getting unnecessarily drawn out. The only passably interesting thread there is how those 3 tie into the future, and most specifically Micah. But the actress who plays the mom is pretty good at duality, and I tend to have a thing for watching women be tough and surprise people by whooping their butts. So of course I'm tickled Jessica is a violent bad@ss.

Re: Hiro - he's very much my favorite, as is the cheerleader, although I loathe high pitched voices in grown men, and cheerleaders.

i loathe Peter's character like you would not believe. I can NOT stand him. He is the weakest dipsh|t ever and I do not get why he is getting all that screentime. it's really irking me.

so's the professor's son's storyline. they're trying to use him as the storyteller but i am telling you it is NOT working for me. some of these turns of serendipity need to get less drawn out and milked so hard because it's just overkill and boring and makes me roll my eyes and huff until something actually interesting happens.

i don't understand why they can't draw everybody's else's scenes as tightly, and well-written as hiro's and the cheerleader's.

Chris - I beg to differ re: the true source of Hiro's name. To american audiences, yes, the obvious tie in to "hero" and the storyline of superhuman heros, and comic books, is meaningful and deliberate. However, there is a decided asian theme here that I am appreciating very much that may not be as visible and appreciated by general american audiences.

audience members into manga and anime, however, do and will appreciate this thread. japanese storytelling is playing a strong part in this story, mixing modern american comic book style (ie, spiderman and such) with scifi, with manga. japanese animation tends to include very cute, funny, goofy loveable interactions entangling with their violence, dark corners, and superhero skills.

because the show has chosen hiro as our main character, or at least our pivotal character through whose eyes we initially begin to see the greater story arc, we come to see him as representative of both us (new and full of wonder) and the transformation from human to hero for his peers in the story (he himself is changing, eager and accepting of what he is to come).

he is by far my favorite, in that he is clearly naive, open, eager, loving, seeking to idealize what it means to have his powers, and somewhere along the way becomes wise, wary, strong, and charismatic - and saves the world.

the cheerleader storyline is similar which is why I care about hers too, tho I hate cheerleaders. save the cheerleader, save the world - give me a break, can't the writers think of something more pithy and less cheesy, than that?

anyway, back to the japanese name tangent - the source is japanese, per the show creators (as shown below) and "ando" his sidekick, translates to "relief." he is, of course, his robin to hiro's bumbling, earnest batman:

According to the online comic on NBC.com, Hiro is named after Hiroshima, so that his family will always remember the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Tim Kring has been quoted as saying, "It's no coincidence we named him Hiro… he truly is on a hero's quest".[1] To this end, his name is often used as a pun. His co-worker Ando once called him "Super-Hiro" in jest, which is actually a homonym to the Japanese word for superhero: スーパーヒーロー (, sūpāhīrō?), and the fifth episode's title is "Hiros".
Learn more about Hiro, who already has a fullbown Wikipedia page (clearly reflecting his popularity to the viewers): [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiro_Nakamura[/link]

Omg, this show kicks so much ass, I just watched the first 3 episodes, and I can definitely say that along with Galactica, it's the best TV show out there right now. Is it kicking ass in the ratings?

To be completley honest- i dont feel that this is a well-made show. I watch it week after week for no other reason than i have developed a moderate interest in storyline. I still think the show has a lot of structural and narrative issues to be smoothed out- hopefully this will happen next season.

Thmilin- i disagree about peter- i think his storyline is set up to be one of the best. I like how he is pretty much useless without anyone else around, while at the same time the other characters seem to be developing a dependency on him. While his motivations seem a bit underdeveloped, i think his family dynamic is wonderful. If there are more of you out there who dont like peter- i would wait at least until he starts interacting with more of the characters.

My only question- When are we going to see the merging of the DL/Jessica/Kid storyline and the NY destruction storyline? We've seen a few brief connections, but nothing indicating how they are all going to fit together. Might be interesting.

And while im speaking of Jessica/Whatshername, what exactly is her power? Is it a split personality, or is she really inhabited by something? Either way she seems to have superstrength. This would be nice to find out.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Nikki has split personailities and when Jessica takes over (HEr twin sister who died when they were 11) she has super human strength.

Right- that much was apparent- i was just curious as to whether it was even possibble for Nikki to use the superhuman strength as well- you know, like is this a psychological thing or a supernatural thing?

i agree, the show is weak sauce, compared to what it could be. like i said, a B, when it could be an A. i'll watch it, because there's nothing else that fills this scifi craving for me right now.

i actually like peter's family dynamic - the introduction of his brother as a frequent impediment because he's bent on following his ownidea of what "good and noble" is (by doing nefarious things) and the wife (wounded when the husband bailed on her using his own powers) and the mother (who may know more about his father, and is not telling).

i just don't like how peter's set up. he is the link, and based on the last episode, may be a "serve your purpose and die link." as in, he's meant to get the group to connect, and then he's no longer useful to "the design". the design being these events are occurring, and everyone thinks they have an active will, but in a way their active will simply pursues a path already destined for them.

i don't like it when someone's a central cog and that's their only purpose- to be a central cog. that assumes the audience is stupid, is a weak story, and is just plain lazy.

that cog frustrates me - everyone should actively pursue things, and half the time peter never coherently states what he wants, never coherently decides what he needs, and never emphatically pursues what has to get done. if he actually knows his brother, why does he time and again choose a form of communication with him that WE even know isn't going to work? if he knows his bro is capable of backstabbing, manipulating, and lying to him - why does he blindly continue to turn to him for help, support, and trust him? it'd be one thing if he didn't KNOW what his brother is and does, but he DOES. so until he gets his sh|t together, and develops a backbone (which I doubt he will) he's a walking idiot, i'm sorry. :P

he's very ad hoc, scattered, wimpy, and clueless, and it bugs me like nobody's business. he had a LOT of clues and a LOT of sources and a LOT of leads early on.

it could just be the show's failure, not his, but he IS an aspect of the show and he's handled to the point i don't like him. if he didn't follow those leads or get it together and they stretched it out for who knows how long, he looks incompetent. that's his fault, AND theirs.

re: jessica/nikki - it's both split personality and possession.

nikki is the good (weak) sister who survived and blacks out bad realities to cope. jessica is the bad (strong) sister who was murdered by their father (on accident) and filled herself with rage to cope while alive. on death, she entered jessica, out of (probalby) sheer will to live and rage in general about what happened to her, and her strong twin bond to her sister.

there is a supernatural element and a gene element- nikki and her twin were probably capable of entering each other and exhibiting great strength but now there's only one host body, and both share it. OR - only JESSICA had the power but it transferred to Nikki on Jessica's death.

jessica fills nikki and is conscious at all times but only takes over when nikki can't handle it and wigs out. now, nikki is aware of her and will hopefully learn to absorb and work with her second half. i'd assume the better option is to do so - keep her sister and her strength, and learn to not wig out and stand tall on her own without letting her sister bully her.

i like how this raises the question of ALL split or multiple personalities. does this mean that these cases are REAL personalities, real beings, inhabiting people, not just a figment of a person's fractured mind? could it be those additional personalities are in the 80% of our brains we're not using, borne of biological and supernatural power?

hot update - i went to the Video Game Awards in LA this past Friday (it will air Dec 13 on Spike TV) - I sat in the FRONT row in one of the floor pits and the presenters included the cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere) and Hiro (Masi Oka).

Before the show started, Masi showed up with a chick about his size to sit in the same area as me, displaced some seat fillers, settled in, then later got up and sat elsewhere. Then he got up for the presentation and I incited the crowd to keep clapping and shouting, so he made sexy "shhh" gestures and said "Save the Cheerleader. Save the world." He has a deep voice! He's so not my type but he's cute and hot for some crazy reason.

Anyway. I saw him live! Super up close! YAY!

I saw Hayden too, but she didn't move me. She made all the young dude's around me go "OH MY GOD! SHE'S SO HOT!" tho. :P

Originally Posted by thmilin
She made all the young dude's around me go "OH MY GOD! SHE'S SO HOT!" tho. :P

I'd so totally save that cheerleader.

Which reminds me, anyone catch that look Claire gave Peter at the end of the last episode? She totally wants him. not sure how appropriate that is, but it was pretty obvious.

Originally Posted by Zeiken
anyone catch that look Claire gave Peter at the end of the last episode? She totally wants him. not sure how appropriate that is, but it was pretty obvious.
Yeah, it was called appreciation

the one where she tells him he's her hero? i think it's the young girl crush thing but he laughs it off and they both know she's not REALLY serious. she's not capable of adult hots, just teen hots, right now. schoolgirl crush, take your dirty mind out of pedophile territory, MANG!*

since clearly you pervs like these details about the cheerleader and are IGNORING mr. hiro, i shall give further details (since who knows if this will get cut when the show airs):

TRANSCRIPT OF THE VGA AWARDS
(where the actors who play Hiro and the cheerleader present awards)

hayden comes out, and she's all short and stocky and dewy. like they oiled her down or dipped her in the "skin glimmering" body lotion or powder females like to use these days. the moment she comes out, she's got her sly smirk/smile going and all the men go wild. yes, all the men. it was creepy considering that like, the men didn't seem to go as wild when eva mendes and maria menounos came out, tho they decidedly also shouted those women were soooo hooot earlier in the show, too.

anyway. she comes up to her mic and is all sly and perky and the men shout:

I LOVE YOU!

this includes the dude immediately to my right, a perky little Laguna Beach could-be.

and she's said two words, is about to start her preso, pauses quickly --

What? I love you too!

and this causes great uproars, and the dude to my right goes, to the dude to my left (the producer people literally plant the audience and move it around for appearance on screen, so they'll split up people for visual effect, and did so to him and his pal, and my my pal):

DUDE? did you hear that? she said she LOVES me. you SAW it! don't you FORGET it!

his pal goes:

dude, i saw it. it happened. i was there.

hayden continues on, show lights go down, screen shows the nominees, stage lights come up, she starts opening up the silly spike stud bracelet they're using as the announcement cards:

and i'll now read the winner once i get this cool bracelet they gave me open ...

the dude's around me and in the distance yell:

take your time!

she goes,

what? take my time?

followed by a slow, knowing smile, another sweet smirk, and she does as asked, dangling the bracelet from her fingers and fiddling with it and smiling around for a minute or two while the men go wild.

after which she smiles/laughs, then finally opens it to announce the winner.

the end. you happy now? hiro haters.

*don't take that too seriously.

According to the general tone of your posts thmilin, I would say you don't really like the show, rather than thinking it gets a B. I think you guys are a bit too demanding, for me, it's enough to compare the show to a similar concept, that of The 4400, and it's pretty apparent which one is the superior. I love the comic book feel of Heros, I love the soundtrack, I love that it's a thriller show...but the only real major upset for me was the showdown between Peter and Sylar ( or was it Sylor? ). I thought they could have done much better, done some sort of spectacular battle scene seeing as how Peter can emulate any power of a hero near him.

I love the mix of comedy and action ( Hiro is my favourite character too, although I was rather dissapointed to see him become so americanised in the future, props for the way he speaks english and japanese tho, I've never seen anyone handle two languages that well and the way he acts with a japanese accent even though it's clear he speaks english extremely well, is he an american? Anyways,I hope that doesn't happen too soon, because instead of making him look cool, he turned out really lame ) not to mention the fact that a large part of the show is in another language which is somewhat unprecedanted as far as top american TV shows are concerned ( your famous distaste for subtitles ).

The Jessica storyline is somewhat tiring seeing as how it doesn't really have the feel of a superpowerful character, more like a derranged psychopath. Micah however could develope into an interesting character, we've only seen very little of what he's capable of.

I don't really understand your hate for Peter though, I don't think he's any different from the other characters trying to make sense of their new found powers, and I think he cought on pretty well considering that his powers were a little more complex to figure out. Also, I haven't watched the 11th episode, but I don't think he's as stupid and weak as you make him out to be. Sure, he went to see his brother for help numerous times, but that's because he doesn't have anyone else and his brother also has a superpower so who's he gonna turn to if not him?

the one where she tells him he's her hero? i think it's the young girl crush thing but he laughs it off and they both know she's not REALLY serious. she's not capable of adult hots, just teen hots, right now. schoolgirl crush, take your dirty mind out of pedophile territory, MANG!*

since clearly you pervs like these details about the cheerleader and are IGNORING mr. hiro, i shall give further details (since who knows if this will get cut when the show airs):

hayden comes out, and she's all short and stocky and dewy. like they oiled her down or dipped her in the "skin glimmering" body lotion or powder females like to use these days. the moment she comes out, she's got her sly smirk/smile going and all the men go wild. yes, all the men. it was creepy considering that like, the men didn't seem to go as wild when eva mendes and maria menounos came out, tho they decidedly also shouted those women were soooo hooot earlier in the show, too.

anyway. she comes up to her mic and is all sly and perky and the men shout:

I LOVE YOU!

this includes the dude immediately to my right, a perky little Laguna Beach could-be.

and she's said two words, is about to start her preso, pauses quickly --

What? I love you too!

and this causes great uproars, and the dude to my right goes, to the dude to my left (the producer people literally plant the audience and move it around for appearance on screen, so they'll split up people for visual effect, and did so to him and his pal, and my my pal):

DUDE? did you hear that? she said she LOVES me. you SAW it! don't you FORGET it!

his pal goes:

dude, i saw it. it happened. i was there.

hayden continues on, show lights go down, screen shows the nominees, stage lights come up, she starts opening up the silly spike stud bracelet they're using as the announcement cards:

and i'll now read the winner once i get this cool bracelet they gave me open ...

the dude's around me and in the distance yell:

take your time!

she goes,

what? take my time?

followed by a slow, knowing smile, another sweet smirk, and she does as asked, dangling the bracelet from her fingers and fiddling with it and smiling around for a minute or two while the men go wild.

after which she smiles/laughs, then finally opens it to announce the winner.

the end. you happy now? hiro haters.

*don't take that too seriously.

According to that scene, it is for appreciation of saving her life. Secondly, I have no freakin idea what that other part is from. What the heck does that got to do with the episode and their characters in the show???

jrs -

i edited my post to clearly separate it from the main context of the discussion. however the discussion included seemingly interested responses to my initial mention of hayden, an actress who plays a character in the tv show this thread is about.

so,that's what that has to do with anything. they play the characters in the show. i, being thrilled to have seen them as a fan of the show, shared that with others who seem to be fans of the show, hoping they might enjoy it as well.

adi -

i appreciate your opinion, and you're entitled to it. i think it's "demanding" of you to judge how others evaluate a show. if you're pleased by the show, rate it an A+, have no real issues with the plot, actors, script, context, etc., that's great.

just because someone else says they rate it a B doesn't mean they don't like the show. just because someone else explains WHY they think it's a B versus an A doesn't mean they don't like the show. just because someone takes the time to evaluate tv show in the same way we all evaluate a film doesn't mean they don't like the show.

if a person tells you in explicit terms, i like X, but feel Y about it, they mean exactly what they say.

i'm not angry, by the way, but feeling kind of judged here when all i was saying was my opinion and my opinion is being clearly misinterpreted. just because i disagree with your views or preference or show quality evaluation methods doesn't mean i'm unreasonable or hypocritical or attacking something.

i said i like the show, and you're telling me based on what i've written i don't seem to. if you're going to hold me to that ruler you have to be fair with it. if you skimmed, re-read before you make judging statements, because based on what i wrote - hating one character or saying i dislike plotlines or elements does not say "i dislike the show." it says, i hate one character and dislike certain plotlines or elements. that's all it says.

if anything a great story is always going to include things that make a viewer react. i loved X-files like a religion and hated certain characters or episodes or plotlines in that, too. and i had scully and mulder pictures on my walls for all of college and discussed plot lines and meanings often and intensely with friends and family.

in this thread, i went on for paragraphs interpreting Jessica's plotline, making it clear i'm fascinated with the potential meaning behind her particular power, and made it clear i am interested in her son, as well as the cheerleader, and hiro. i even posted squeals about having seen hiro in person, a character i care about because i watch the show regularly.

if all that doesn't say I like the show, i don't know what does. if i really don't like the show, why on earth would i watch it and take the time to share my thoughts about it here?

jrs -

i edited my post to clearly separate it from the main context of the discussion. however the discussion included seemingly interested responses to my initial mention of hayden, an actress who plays a character in the tv show this thread is about.

so,that's what that has to do with anything. they play the characters in the show. i, being thrilled to have seen them as a fan of the show, shared that with others who seem to be fans of the show, hoping they might enjoy it as well.

I'm sorry, I just got a little confused there

Originally Posted by jrs
I'm sorry, I just got a little confused there
no worries, i realized it was all jumbled together, so that's why i moved it around. wasn't sure if that's what you meant or you were annoyed at me having said anything.

re: when the show returns - isn't it January 7th, not November?