Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I rated The Leopard and Things both 5 stars and feel no qualms about that.

I rated Things 4.5 because I have standards.

Did I ever post my review here? Tempted to dig it up for my thread if I haven't.

I rated Night of a Thousand Cats and Marketa Lazarova the same on Letterboxd.

Oof, I'm bad at this.
I mean, cats and wolves are both mammals. And there's a lot of them. Basically the same movie.

I feel like this is just the way ratings go. And actually, now that I think about it, I think it's a big part of the reason I stopped rating films.

How do you explain to someone that, by your rating system, Hausu is better than Schindler's List?
I mean, for me, that's pretty easy. When I said, I don't like most Spielberg movies, I meant, I don't like most Spielberg movies.

You're not alone. My ratings would make absolutely no sense if I had to explain them to someone. In the past month I've given 4-star ratings to The Godfather and Squirm.
You mean the 1976 Squirm, I assume?

I rated The Leopard and Things both 5 stars and feel no qualms about that.

I'm more ashamed of how it's a 3/5 for Marketa Lazarova.

The similar rating for House of Cats just rubs my incorrectness in.

Godfather is more of a 3-star film but I gave it an extra star for Joe Spinell.
Joe Spinell is only worth one star to you? I thought you had taste.

I'm not supposed to get political, but since it's nearly the end of the page (for those of us who have it set on 20 posts), I need to vent.

I sometimes watch some of these lefty podcasts, I tend to agree with a lot of them on GP. But then again they're stupid. There was a clip from the Sam Seder show, it was supposed to be about making fun of Ben Shapiro for saying that "Obama killed rock and roll", and I assumed it was going to mock the weasel for being a moron like that. Nope. Instead, they (not Sam who may have been taken hostage) agreed with this assessment, and doubling down celebrated it as a net positive because rock and roll = white supremacy, and, btw, rock and roll was also a CIA plot to disenfranchise the 60s youth (which, bang-up job, guys ). They even cited the Merry Pranksters as being undercover CIA agents who handed out LSD at "early rock and roll concerts". (They don't know when rock and roll happened.) And they think they have a right to criticize Qanon and ivermectin?

I don't want to sound like McCarthy here. I'm just saying that the whole "rock and roll = CIA plot" thing is old school Soviet propaganda. It was one of the pretexts for their banning the music in the 60s and 70s. Glad to see it's making a comeback in some circles, thanks to the tireless efforts of, I dunno, RedAppleCigs or somebody.

I will address the "white supremacy" thing because it's insidious and taken for granted by some. These people don't understand the social history of America. They must not be aware that 50s radio was segregated, and that rock radio happened to be the first time that most white kids got to hear the likes of Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, because these artists tended to be restricted to black-only radio stations prior to that. Even Motown getting into pop radio had to offer a more "clean" sound than their R&B brethren. If rock and roll were a white supremicist plot, it seems weird to then allow this unprecedented access to black music. Also, concerning the British groups like the Beatles and the Stones, they also didn't understand the American segregated radio system at the time, and assumed that they had nothing to offer American audiences because they already had access to the American music that they played. They expressed shock when they realized that white American kids didn't know about black radio. And they frequently, unexploitatively, cited their favorite black artists in interviews at the time. People like Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Skip James, Son House, Mississippi John Hurt, all benefited from this acclaim and newfound fame during the 60s.

Bottom line: I'm starting to think that communists just don't like music.

Victim of The Night
I mean, for me, that's pretty easy. When I said, I don't like most Spielberg movies, I meant, I don't like most Spielberg movies.
Yeah, after I posted that I was like, "Well... that's not wrong..."

It took me about half an hour to lock in with this one. But its Degrassi Jr High (but in New York) vibes eventually won me over. And that's all anyone ever needs to love anything.

So, is despair the emotion I'm supposed to feel watching this?

I'm confused that you actually watched this. I guess I had heard enough reviews from sources that I trust to paint a picture of a movie I would not have any interest in.

I'm confused that you actually watched this. I guess I had heard enough reviews from sources that I trust to paint a picture of a movie I would not have any interest in.

Believe me when I say (I thought) I had solid plans to never see this movie. So the fact that it is now in my brain confuses me as well.