Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

I should revisit The Red Shoes. Admittedly, I've struggled with the Archers in the past, but I have a feeling I'd respond well to that film if I were to give it another shot.

Man I've gotten a long way behind on this - any chance of updating the lists on the OP to make it easier for laggards like me Raul?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Man I've gotten a long way behind on this - any chance of updating the lists on the OP to make it easier for laggards like me Raul?
I will tonight!

Ozu films just speak to me and this is an excellent story. Setsuko Hara is amazing in it too. I love how his films feel so genuine.

This is a movie that just has it all for me. Love the twists in the movie. The acting is awesome, Jackman and Bale are so great and I love Caine in this too. The film looks great, sounds great and just feels like your right there in the midst of the magician duel.

I would love to see Nolan go back to these types of movies. Or even earlier movies from his filmography.

Nolan seems to have been lost in his own grandiose gigantism. Both scale-wise and thematically. I would love to see him dive into some character-driven stories again.

While The Prestige is not perfect, I really enjoy it. I think it’s very good for what it tries to be.

It was tough to decipher which Nolan was best for me at one point, but not anymore. This one has certainly stood the test of time.

I’ve seen Late Spring twice and disliked it twice. I vaguely recall liking The Prestige despite my dislike for Christian Bale, but it’s been a long time since I watched it. It’s on my list of films to rewatch for the countdown.

I'm fairly certain it was Holden Pike who had this in his Scorsese thread as his number 1 Scorsese, and it's mine too. I just love the wackiness and craziness of it. It's like Scorseses Wizard of Oz, which he's even said had influence as well. And it's funny to me. The writing and story is the best part for me.

Thanks for updating the OP

For the films in the fifties I'm afraid I'd just have to give my vote to Raul. Even though Sean does have In The Mood For Love and the Lord Of The Rings trilogy in his batch Raul's picks of The Gold Rush, 12 Angry Men and Wall-E alongside a supporting cast that's slightly more to my taste just edge it for me.

The forties are also close but again it's Raul's ten that edges it for me. Sean's set has two (four) heavyweights in Schindler's List and The Human Condition trilogy, but Raul started well with The Departed, added The Virgin Spring in the middle and finished that set extremely well with The Cranes Are Flying and Se7en.

Have to admit that Sean has more fillums I've not yet seen in both those sets though so opinion may well sway slightly in the future.

I don't think there's been too much here for me since I last popped in. Sean hits with Ran and ET (though it's been so long since I last saw ET I don't know if I'd like it more or less now) The Squid And The Whale is a film I was interested in, bought, but still haven't seen. 15 years on the shelf.

Raul hits hugely with me with Goodfellas and Halloween. Inside Man, Letters Never Sent, The Prestige and Late Spring I've not seen, while I quite liked The Red Shoes, which was a surprise to me. After Hours I've seen but didn't care for, but I was a teen at the time and so it'll be a different film to the adult me.

And here's that other Ozu film. This is an emotional and engaging watch. The themes seem to just be right down my alley. Really great performances and looks great.

Such a delightful film in so many ways, but also very melancholy thematically so it hits me just right. In a very welcome habit of watching this on Christmas Eve the last few years.

This is the standard bearer for Noir for me. Sets up all the tropes and does them all well. Great writing and great cast make this the perfect movie. Robinson gives one of my absolute favorite performances here.

I can just live in Wong Kar-Wai's worlds forever. He is so unique visually, and his characters are rich and entertaining.

Another cheat for HK to get on me about. I can never leave this off my lists because it is just exactly what I look for in my entertainment. Endlessly entertaining but also has something to say about us and how we interact with the world. Again, perfect casting. Love Woodrow and Gus.

Spoiler alert, this is my favorite Hitch. My favorite actor playing the protagonist, everything in one location giving the perfect sense of tension. Oh yeah, the most beautiful love interest ever.

Wow what a set, and I've only seen 3 of the 5!

How I haven't seen Chungking by now is a problem that needs rectifying soon.

I think we know what I think of Rear and La La already.

Double Indemnity is fantastic.

Too hard to leave off a movie with one of my all time favorite performances. I just love the way Jewison tells this story, whether accurate or not. Tugs at the heartstrings and is a powerful and emotional watch each time.