New FANTASTIC FOUR movie... whyyyyyyyy??????

Tools    

For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't do the comic version of the Abomination - one of the most unique looking gamma-spawned monsters ever. He would've been a great CGI creation! Instead they gave us something that looked like a pale-skinned cross between the Bi-Beast and the hybrid from Alien Resurrection. What was the excuse? That the comic Abomination would look too silly in a movie about giant green monsters?
The appearance of the Abomination has changed over the years, maybe they thought just starting out with a simplistic version would allow him to mutate more for later appearances?

There's actually a Marvel Short called "The Consultant" where they talked about wanting to recruit Blonsky into the Avengers (before that movie came up) so it seems like they wanted to keep with the character, just after The Hulk didn't perform as well, I guess the idea was canned.

I was actually looking forward to Stern mutating into The Leader from the Hulk comics since in the movie he had the gamma blood dripping onto his head into an open wound and his head started mutating...

It's a shame that one didn't make a bigger splash, I was hoping after the Avengers where Hulk really shined they might make another Hulk film

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Dang, you just hit the nail on the head I think...

Logan is the last of Jackman's Wolverine movies, and Stewart has also said he's now retiring from the X-Men movies.

What's the bets that the reboot of Fantastic 4 will be tied to a future X-Men?
Like, the Fassbender and McAvoy timeline?
The funny tidbit is that Jackman stated that if Wolverine was in the MCU he would do his character again.

Really, that's the only way I see them being successful under Fox. These days, most people expect all of these heroes, and stories to be connected. The new Fantastic 4 failed because it was it's own standalone thing, always meant to be it's own standalone thing, which I don't think is fair, but I do see that as a legitimate reason for it's poor box office results. And, well, apparently it sucked hard, I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I think X-Men stays afloat because it lives in it's own little world without having to pull from a billion other franchises, but with so many characters, it can seem just as big, and you always have a plethora of new characters to anticipate. If they add the Fantastic Four characters, they'd be able to replicate the worlds colliding approach of the MCU, which would generate a lot more buzz, especially for the prospects of a new standalone Fantastic Four movie. It couldn't hurt, I can't imagine people just refusing to see a X-Men movie because it has those characters in it.

Also, Doctor Doom fighting the X-Men on the big screen. I don't even have to explain why that'd be badass.
All I want is Galactus and Silver Surfer on the MCU

The appearance of the Abomination has changed over the years, maybe they thought just starting out with a simplistic version would allow him to mutate more for later appearances?

There's actually a Marvel Short called "The Consultant" where they talked about wanting to recruit Blonsky into the Avengers (before that movie came up) so it seems like they wanted to keep with the character, just after The Hulk didn't perform as well, I guess the idea was canned.

I was actually looking forward to Stern mutating into The Leader from the Hulk comics since in the movie he had the gamma blood dripping onto his head into an open wound and his head started mutating...

It's a shame that one didn't make a bigger splash, I was hoping after the Avengers where Hulk really shined they might make another Hulk film
I don't think the Abomination ever looked like that BEFORE the Hulk movie. For the decades from his creation until his film debut, he was a green-skinned, semi-reptilian looking monster with scaly skin, ridged lips and brow, knobby growths on his head, two toes, and those weird webbed ears.

I don't think the Abomination ever looked like that BEFORE the Hulk movie. For the decades from his creation until his film debut, he was a green-skinned, semi-reptilian looking monster with scaly skin, ridged lips and brow, knobby growths on his head, two toes, and those weird webbed ears.

No, I just meant his appearance has changed, and maybe they went with a simplistic look for the debut to show mutation as he went...

I get the point, but were they really considering the Abomination as a major, continuing and evolving character enough to think they'd show a progression of mutation through several films? (I don't remember, but did he even survive in the film?) Seems the point of the Abomination would be to shock audience (as the comics did) by saying "POW!" look - this guy turned into a freaking abomination - and slam them with the full visual - instead of saying we'll start him off looking like a wrestler in need of some chiropractic adjustments and then slowly turn him into a scaly green-skinned lizard man.

After each movie the comics seem to have a need to try to copy what the movies did (remember how the X-Men switched from their classic costumes to wearing black leather and zippers after the movie came out?)

Makes me dread to think what they did to the Fantastic Four after Fant-4-stic came out. I haven't read any "modern" comics in quite a while.

It's Mer-Man!

I get the point, but were they really considering the Abomination as a major, continuing and evolving character enough to think they'd show a progression of mutation through several films? (I don't remember, but did he even survive in the film?) Seems the point of the Abomination would be to shock audience (as the comics did) by saying "POW!" look - this guy turned into a freaking abomination - and slam them with the full visual - instead of saying we'll start him off looking like a wrestler in need of some chiropractic adjustments and then slowly turn him into a scaly green-skinned lizard man.
Yeah he survived, Hulk was about to kill him and Betty screamed stop and he did.. then they mentioned him in The Consultant, and if they made a second film I'd imagine the setup would be the Leader and Abomination, 2 of the Hulks mainstay Gamma villains.

The Hulk is a problematic character to use on his own, with no real dialog options and all he basically does is smash stuff he is extremely limited unless you have him with more interesting characters to work off. I doubt that it would ever be possible to make a good hulk solo movie but he does excel when he is coupled with characters that he can work off and used sparingly for a awe look at his strength scene or as comic relief.

Fox obviously want to retain the Fantastic Four licence even if it means releasing a terrible movie every few years. I have no idea who would want to watch a Fox Fantastic Four movie after what I hear was a terrible last movie.

There is one good Fantastic 4 movie - It's called The Incredibles

But seriously, when will they just hand the rights over to Marvel who have shows us they can make a viable franchise out of anything (except the Hulk, why is that?)
Yeah, I agree, They should give it to Disney/Marvel and let Brad Bird direct. He'd do a fantastic job.

The Hulk is a problematic character to use on his own, with no real dialog options and all he basically does is smash stuff he is extremely limited unless you have him with more interesting characters to work off. I doubt that it would ever be possible to make a good hulk solo movie but he does excel when he is coupled with characters that he can work off and used sparingly for a awe look at his strength scene or as comic relief.

Fox obviously want to retain the Fantastic Four licence even if it means releasing a terrible movie every few years. I have no idea who would want to watch a Fox Fantastic Four movie after what I hear was a terrible last movie.
You didn't see Fant4Stic? You have to. It's so crappy and cringe worthy... but still better than BVS

You didn't see Fant4Stic? You have to. It's so crappy and cringe worthy... but still better than BVS
They're neck and neck to be honest, but the only upside to Fant4stic was I don't really care about the fantastic four so I really didn't care about them getting butchered.

Now Batman and Superman on the other hand, I'm a huge fan of both characters... so their movie felt like a complete insult.

They're neck and neck to be honest, but the only upside to Fant4stic was I don't really care about the fantastic four so I really didn't care about them getting butchered.

Now Batman and Superman on the other hand, I'm a huge fan of both characters... so their movie felt like a complete insult.
I'm the opposite - FF was probably one of the first Marvel Comics I ever read. They're like family.

Fan For Stick did show a potential body-horror feel to Mr. Fantastic that I enjoyed [the few seconds it lasted]. Doom looked like a hobo covered in Mutant Turtles Green Goo dressed in a garbage sack.

THAT'S JUST WRONG!

I'm the opposite - FF was probably one of the first Marvel Comics I ever read. They're like family.
There was an issue way back when of Mr. Fantastic trying to cure the Hulk [it's when Hulk turns Grey again] that I really enjoyed.

Specially because there's a part in which Banner is sticking out of the Hulk's chest begging to be killed.

You bet

Did you like the former version of him? I did. I like that actor.
Unfortunately, the very best Dr. Doom can be found in the original Star Wars trilogy (episodes 4 - 6) under the guise of "Darth Vader."

The next best was where he was set in an awful movie: Roger Corman's Fantastic Four.

My problem with the 21st century film version of Doom wasn't so much the actor, but what they did to the character - they took away his Latverian heritage (or barely mentioned it, making him for all intents & purposes to uninformed audiences an American). They took away the fact that he was a monarch and instead made him a smarmy businessman. They made him the "fifth" member of the Fantastic Four by changing his origin and making him part of the team that went on the historic spaceflight that gave them their powers. They gave Doom powers (his whole schtick was that he felt he rivaled Reed Richards with his brain alone and all he could create with it without having superpowers). But they gave him powers that were a combination of Colossus and Electro - thus diminishing the fact that Doom, under his armor, was a genius with no super powers.

i.e. they altered so many things essential to the character as to make him (aside from his mask) unrecognizable as the original Dr. Doom.

And, as you pointed out, we need not even mention Fant-4-stic's Doom - the whole movie is so far removed from anything FF to be recognized as anything other than some weird, counter, "ultimate" fan version of some splinter-universe, alternate reality, PC-revised, What-If, Elseworlds Fantastic Four.