Movie Remakes: yay or nay?

Tools    

Nay. Just adapt a book or a comic if you don't trust your idea.

Some of these are good, some are not. I do think there is a great remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but it's Abel Ferrara's 1993 version just called Body Snatchers. Ferrara is such an underrated director.

I'd also add Edmund Goulding's 1939 remake of The Dawn Patrol which is far better than the 1930 Howard Hawks film, as much as I love Hawks.
I agree, which is why I put it on the list, curious to know which ones I listed weren't "good", because I listed with a somewhat higher standard

The most loathsome of all goblins
I agree, which is why I put it on the list
Ah, I missed that. Forgive me, I'm currently nursing a hangover.
curious to know which ones I listed weren't "good", because I listed with a somewhat higher standard
I hate the '99 remake of House on Haunted Hill. I also don't care for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead or Chris Nolan's Insomnia. Although for the latter, I admit to some bias because Nolan is my least favorite director of all time. I'd rather watch anything else than one of his movies.

Ah, I missed that. Forgive me, I'm currently nursing a hangover.I hate the '99 remake of House on Haunted Hill. I also don't care for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead or Chris Nolan's Insomnia. Although for the latter, I admit to some bias because Nolan is my least favorite director of all time. I'd rather watch anything else than one of his movies.
I liked it and most of the Dark Castle remakes, good production values decent gore for the updates solid casting.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Good Remakes....

3:10 to Yuma (2007) --- don't remember. Have to re-watch
The Wizard of Oz (1939) --- classic
Ben Hur (1959) --- never saw the original, am quite happy with this version.
Magnificent Seven (1960) ---- still prefer Seven Samurai
Cape Fear (1991) ----- don't remember. have to re-watch
Dawn of the Dead (2004) -- Is this the one they are in a cabin? Zombie movies look all alike to me
The Departed (2006) ---- haven't watched it
Dr. Jeykell and Mr Hyde (1941) ------ great movie. Really like the "Mary Reilly" take of it
Heaven can Wait (1978) ... don't remember
Evil Dead (2013) ----- liked it
Fatal Attraction (1987) ----- a classic
The Fly (1986) ------ my favorite of all remakes
Heat (1995) ----- didn't see it
Outland (1981) ----- didn't like it
House on Haunted Hill (1999) --- pretty tongue in cheak
House of Wavx (1953) ----- My favorite Vincent Price one
The Omega Man (1971) ------ the premise was interesting... but meh
Insomnia (2002) ---- Robbin Williams was great
Body Snatchers (1990) ---- never cared for the original
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) ------ ditto
Knock Knock (2015) ----- could be better
Last House on the Left (1972) ----- dind't like it
Fistful of Dollars (1974) ----- meh
Mad Love (1935) ----- don0t think I ever saw that one
The Man who knew Too Much (1956) ------ never saw it
Night of the Living Dead (1990) ------ the do all look the same to me.
No Way Out (1987) ------ don't remember
Orphans of the Storm (1921) ----- weren't they beautiful?
Point of No Return (1993) ...... don0t remember
The Ring (2002) ..... prefer the original series, though kudos for the Fxs on the american version
Solaris (1972) ------ the original
His Girl Friday (1940) ----- never saw it

and my avatar
The Thing ----- my second favorite remake
see above

If they're necessary, it's improving on a dated, or mediocre film, or has enough original vision to warrant a new look at it.

Some of my favorites are King Kong (2005), The Departed, We Are What We Are, The Fly, Scarface, Little Shop of Horrors, Insomnia, Hairspray, Funny Games, and Charlie in the Chocolate Factory, which I even like more than the original.

My all time favorite remake is probably True Grit. I've honestly never watched the original, though. I don't think I would like it more than the new one.

If they're necessary, it's improving on a dated, or mediocre film, or has enough original vision to warrant a new look at it.

Some of my favorites are King Kong (2005), The Departed, We Are What We Are, The Fly, Scarface, Little Shop of Horrors, Insomnia, Hairspray, Funny Games, and Charlie in the Chocolate Factory, which I even like more than the original.

My all time favorite remake is probably True Grit. I've honestly never watched the original, though. I don't think I would like it more than the new one.
Or one that had a great premise that sucked.

I tend to be a nay-sayer when it comes to film re-makes. With very few exceptions, re-makes of films have had rather disastrous results...and have gone over like lead balloons.

Depends on the film and whose in control of it. For instance, I am very much looking forward to Sofia Coppola's The Beguiling and what she will do with the material. Then there are some that are completely baffling, like the Cabin Fever remake.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

Nooooo!

People are still calling John Carpenter's The Thing a remake?

Said this many a time on here... Carpenter's The Thing isn't a remake. It's based on the same book Who Goes There? by John Wood Campbell Jr.

As long as the original gets a good credit then there's no real problem. I enjoyed the Fly and 3:10 to Yuma for instance.
Yeah there wae better than the originals but your lucky if that once or twice a year and the seem to mess up recent reboots (I.E Robocop new nightmare on else stree and ghost busters etc so it should 50/50 lol

[quote=ScarletLion;1643102]As long as the original gets a good credit then there's no real problem. I enjoyed the Fly and 3:10 to Yuma for instance.

Yeah there wae better than the originals but your lucky if that once or twice a year and the seem to mess up recent reboots (I.E Robocop new nightmare on else stree and ghost busters etc so it should 50/50 lol

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm in the crowd that says remake (or re-boot) BAD movies instead of good ones.

Suspect's Reviews

Nooooo!

People are still calling John Carpenter's The Thing a remake?

Said this many a time on here... Carpenter's The Thing isn't a remake. It's based on the same book Who Goes There? by John Wood Campbell Jr.
Then is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a remake? Burton always maintained it was a closer adaptation of the book. Yet people refer to it as a remake.

No, Burton's film isn't a remake... it's like calling Jackson's LOTR a remake of Ralph Bakshi's 1978 cartoon.
Or calling Man Of Steel a remake of Superman: The Movie.

No, Burton's film isn't a remake... it's like calling Jackson's LOTR a remake of Ralph Bakshi's 1978 cartoon.
Or calling Man Of Steel a remake of Superman: The Movie.
Yet, both Chocolate Factory movies follow the exact same plot. Your Superman statement doesn't. It's harder to use comic book movies as a remake claim. More of a reboot maybe?

So in order for a film to be a remake, it can't have been adapted from any source material?

Exactly...

The new Ghostbusters is a remake, because the original wasn't based on a book/novel etc.
The 2016 Magnificent Seven is a remake of Magnificent Seven, which in turn is a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai... as the original wasn't based on a book.

If the original movie is based on a novel, comic, whatever, then the newer movie, in my mind, cannot be a remake.
Like for instance, Carpenter's The Thing.

I'm in the crowd that says remake (or re-boot) BAD movies instead of good ones.
Yeah but what constitutes a good movie or a bad one? Who's opinion are we going on? Yours? Mine?

Plus, there are some really bad films that are so bad because the very idea of them just doesn't work, and would always be bad no matter what.

I would never go and see a remake of Freddy got Fingered or Robin Hood men in Tights.

Yeah but what constitutes a good movie or a bad one? Who's opinion are we going on? Yours? Mine?
Obviously mine...duh