The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Probably the most important Japanese film ever made in that it was the first big international hit from there, made Kurosawa a star, as well as giving the top five-billed actors meaty roles which led to bigger and better things. However as far as complex themes told in a dramatically-new and excitingly-visual style, it's tough to beat the seemingly-simple yet deceptive Rashômon.

Rashomon was my #5. It, like most of the films in my list, blew me away with its power on the first viewing, and while it wasn't my first Kurosawa film, it was the one that really made me a fan. (Although my #1 and #2 films don't really have a first viewing to speak of as I just grew up with those movies, but we'll save that for later.) The best part of Kurosawa is there's always something more to learn about the artistry of his films every time you watch them.

My List:

3. The 400 Blows (#17)
5. Rashomon (#9)
6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
7. Ikiru (#16)
8. Mon Oncle (#67)
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#37)
12. Wages of Fear (#50)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
14. All About Eve (#12)
16. Stalag 17 (#48)
18. La Strada (#41)
19. The Killing (#52)
20. Singin’ in the Rain (#10)
21. Room at the Top (#73)
23. Les Diaboliques (#57)
24. Rio Bravo (#22)

Rashomon was my #20.

It's a monumental film that was able to put a seemingly simple concept to the screen with an unbelievable amount of depth. Kurosawa is an emperor of cinema.

My Top Ten Prediction:

01.Vertigo
02.Seven Samurai
03.12 Angry Men
04.Rear Window
05.Paths of Glory
06.Sunset Blvd.
07.North By Northwest
08.Rashomon
09.Singin' In The Rain
10.The Bridge on the River Kwai
I've been wrong, but not by much. The Bridge on the River Kwai has surprised me, but maybe now I'll get it right. If not, I'll just give up. (And I'm hoping I'm really wrong about a couple of those.)

New prediction:

01.Vertigo
02.Seven Samurai
03.12 Angry Men
04.Rear Window
05.Paths of Glory
06.Sunset Blvd.
07.North By Northwest
08.The Bridge on the River Kwai

Did anyone else notice the huge jump in points when we went from #11 to 10? Fifty points separate the eleventh place film from the tenth.

After seeing Rashomon twice, I'm still not sure how much I like it. I didn't vote for it, but years from now I could picture it being one of my favorites from the decade.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Rashomon was 13th on my list!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Originally Posted by rauldc14
Gongs will be partially tolerated, but there may be consequences.
What does this mean?

Rashomon is a great film that fully deserves to be high on this countdown but I didn't include it on my list.

Originally Posted by rauldc14
Gongs will be partially tolerated, but there may be consequences.
What does this mean?
Back when there was the ninties list (before I became a member) Sexy Celebrity got mad at the abundance of Asian films on the list along with the absence of Titanic, so everytime an Asian film was revealed, he posted a YouTube video of a gong. It has been a tradition since then.

Back when there was the ninties list (before I became a member) Sexy Celebrity got mad at the abundance of Asian films on the list along with the absence of Titanic, so everytime an Asian film was revealed, he posted a YouTube video of a gong. It has been a tradition since then.
I see. And here I wish there were more asian movies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Lern 2 spel prawperly!
It's pronounced "Prowlpearlee", you bludee illitrate

I see. And here I wish there were more asian movies.
Yeah, especially considering my number one was Japanese (24 Eyes) and it did not make it.

I liked Rashomon the least of the Kurosawa films I've seen and there things about it that I didn't like, but overall it was a pretty solid film. I had it at #19.

My Ballot
1. East of Eden (#43)
2. A swords and sandals epic that didn't make it
3. Coming Soon
4. Wild Strawberries (#23)
5. Alice In Wonderland (#27)
6. Coming Soon
7. Lady and the Tramp (#45)
8. Witness for the Prosecution (#24)
9. Smiles of a Summer Night (#56)
10. A Bergman that didn't make it
11. Coming Soon
12. A Streetcar Named Desire (#18)
13. Duck Amuck (#89)
14. Coming Soon
15. Coming Soon
16. Rebel Without A Cause (#39)
17. Coming Soon
18. Throne of Blood (#38)
19. Rashomon (#9)
20. Written on the Wind (#82)
21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#37)
22. An animated film that didn't make it
23. Room at the Top (#73)
24. On the Waterfront (#15)
25. One pointers, I hope?

Another three for me this week. All About Eve, Singin' In The Rain and The Seventh Seal all made my list.

All About Eve was my #2 pick, but it could have been my #1 on another day. My top two are very close, It's quite possible that whichever I saw last would be my #1 choice.

Singin' In The Rain was my #14 (and is one of the few musicals I like, though the last time I watched it I didn't like it as much as I had previously. Hopefully just a one-off thing) while The Seventh Seal was #19. I've not seen much Bergman, but this is the only one I've liked.

Y'all know what I think of Roshomon?? I mean, it's really this type of movie which really have a whole lot of talk going on about it and I mean it's all pretty much praise but also a little bit non-praise and I think that I really just want to say that in all honesty I have to honestly say that

I have not seen it.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
My Top Ten Prediction:
1. Vertigo
2. 12 Angry Men
3. Seven Samurai
4. Rear Window
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. North by Northwest
7. Paths of Glory
8. Sunset Blvd.
9. Rashomon
10. Bridge on the River Kwai

I didn't get too excited about Rashomon and can't figure out why everyone is so in awe of it. I thought the interaction of the three men at the old ruins was excellent, but I didn't care much for the retelling of the murder/encounter story which was done meh.

Ikiru
is a much better film IMO. And I'm sad to see no love for another great Japanese film, Twenty Four Eyes.