The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Pretty good musical, but overhyped as hell.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well there goes my prediction... I thought the universal appeal and likeability about that film was enough to not put it in the bottom of the Top 10.

Anyways, I did have it on my list... can't remember where right now.

Wasn't on my list, the 'comedy' lets it down for me but can understand it being top ten.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Singin' in the Rain has the greatest collection of classic songs (most are from the '20s and have been in other films of that era) and dances of any original movie musical. Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly spend the movie trying to outdance each other. It's also the best Hollywood satire ever made. Debbie Reynolds and Jean Hagen also contribute mightily. I easily could have had it higher. Another musical made my list but not the Top 100.
The King and I (Walter Lang, 1956)

This musical version of Anna and the King of Siam plays out as a battle of wills and cultures. Set in 1862, it tells the story of an English schoolteacher widow (Deborah Kerr) who brings her young son (Rex Thompson) to Siam where she's been hired to teach the children of the King (Oscar winner Yul Brynner). The King has many wives and concubines and even more children, so it is a big job. Anna requires a separate house, away from the palace, to live with her son, and although the King had earlier agreed to this stipulation, he has never had one built. This immediately sets up friction between Anna and the King, but she agrees to stay when she meets and falls in love with the children. Most of the film plays as a romantic musical comedy, with the main characters warming up to each other, but there are some strong dramatic moments in the second half involving the King's use of slaves.

The music in this film is good, although I like the songs a bit better in Oklahoma!. The songs do fully flesh out the characters though, and there's a long section where there is a Siamese version of Uncle Tom's Cabin performed as a musical which is quite unique for a Rodgers & Hammerstein show. Thinking of the songs in The King and I actually makes me remember songs in The Sound of Music. There's something about "Getting to Know You" which distinctly reminds me of "Do-Re-Mi".
My List
1. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
6. Some Like It Hot (#11)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
15. Singin’ in the Rain (#10)
17. A Streetcar Named Desire (#19)
18. The Trouble with Harry (Did Not Place)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
22. The King and I (Did Not Place)
23. Guys and Dolls (Did Not Place)
24. The Big Country (#66)

I get some hate for this type of opinion but I think Singing In The Rain has two great six minute sequences, and then nothing else for me. Unfortunately that is my feeling on most of the beloved musicals.

For me Singin' in the Rain is the epitome of the Hollywood Musical, the funniest, most engaging, and endlessly appealing flick the genre ever gave birth to. I've seen it dozens of times over the years, including over five times on the big screen. I had it fifth on my list, and almost had it higher.. "Dignity. Always dignity."

MY LIST
3. In A Lonely Place (#33)
5. Singin’ in the Rain (#10)
6. The Seventh Seal (#13)
8. The 400 Blows (#17)
9. Ace in the Hole (#44)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#36)
13. The Killing (#52)
14. Harvey (#31)
15. Ikiru (#16)
18. Pickup on South Street (#72)
20. Throne of Blood (#37)
21. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
23. Touch of Evil (#20)
24. La Strada (#41)
25. The Big Country (#66)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Being a musical, i struggled with a few parts of Singin' In The Rain but overall i liked it a lot and had it as my #24. Here's a writeup i did for it:

Singin' In The Rain (1952)
-
-

I'm not positive of this rating, like most musicals it had stuff that annoyed me, a few really silly cartoonish jokes, some overly dancey scenes that just aren't for me but there was quite a lot i liked/loved as well.

I have heard the soundtrack before as one of my aunts is a massive fan, not sure if this contributed to me (mostly) enjoying the songs, or if it was just right for me. Man i love Singin' In The Rain (the song) it was great seeing the scene properly with the context and all, , it is just so pleasant i love the little "doo doo roo doo" at the start of it, it's probably very wrong that it made me want to watch A Clockwork Orange . That scene really is magical, it is so obvious that it is a set but it doesn't matter it just manages to work. Love the ending as well it was obvious what was going to happen but it was still nice to see since Hagen had played the villain role so well. I genuinely found the story interesting, at first i thought it was going to be the same old guy falls in love with someone different from his usual company and changes to be with her i've seen several times. Somehow i wasn't aware this was about the transition from Silents to Talkies which made the whole thing feel more original and intriguing. Ever since i watched Sunset Boulevard i have always been interest to the introduction of talkies, and whether peoples careers were actually ended by it. Very good performances all around, i always hear about Kelly, Reynolds and Hagen and they deserve the praise they get, but i also really liked O'Connor who i rarely hear mentioned, Cosmo was great think he made me laugh the most. Still this was the joke that got the biggesr laugh from me: "well of course we talk, don't everybody"

Anyway very good film, to my utter disbelief it will be in contention for my 50's list. Most importantly this has actually got me excited in watching A Star Is Born and Oklahoma! which i'm pretty sure i have a contract with gbg and CR promising i'll watch them.

Seen - 48/91
My List - 14/25

01.The 400 Blows
04.Night and Fog
07.Tokyo Story
09.A Place in the Sun
10.Wild Strawberries
13.A Streetcar Named Desire
14.Witness For The Prosecution
15.An Affair To Remember
16.Dial M For Murder
17.Throne of Blood
19.From Here To Eternity
22.Anatomy of a Murder
23.Invasion of the Body Snatchers
24.Singin' In The Rain

Top 9 guess because someone finally has to beat SC:

01.Vertigo
02.Rear Window
03.12 Angry Men
04.Seven Samurai
05.North By Northwest
06.Sunset Boulevard
07.Paths of Glory
08.The Bridge On The River Kwai
09.Rashomon

I don't see too many people bankin' on Rashomon.

Singin' in the Rain was third on my list. A fantastic film and it's a film that if someone told may they disliked it, I would probably think a little lesser of them, sorry, it's just that damn good. The top three films on my list were the easiest for me to decide, and will always remain long time favourites.

When I first watched the film I wasn't madly in love with it, I thought it was good, but not great. I think I didn't watch it properly, maybe in parts on TV or whilst doing other stuff. I think I wanted to get it watched but was busy at the time so assumed that it wouldn't be absolutely amazing so I wouldn't miss out on much. Rewatches have revealed to me just how wrong I was. Extremely well crafted, funny, great music, great performances etc.

I think it was last year I showed it to my mum and my brother who were both quite cautious going in to it, especially the latter as I don't think he's ever sat down and properly watched any filmmusical before or after, and add the fact that we rarely sit around and watch films together. We all loved it.

Do you mean you don't think it will show? Because it will no doubt. Or do you mean you think it will be higher than #9?
No I mean I don't think too many people have been predicting it for the top ten.